No Lye for Me!!! :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I was reading in a book Soap Making It Enjoying it By: Ann Bramson that lye is used in making pretzels and hominy; also to remove fruit skins, peel beets, and cure olives. Go Figure!

Krickett

IanT said:
itsmeroro- wooahh didnt know that! so the olive oil and stuff we eat has most likely been exposed to this stuff??? crazy!

LOL :) You r funny! Should have seen my face when the lady at "Farm Supply" asked me about my "olives" -- "um, olives???" I asked...

I quickly told her that I make soap -- and must have had a really strange look on my face because she explained that is how they get the skins to soften on grapes (for wine) and also olives... by using lye - and then rinsing really, really well.

Hm. Never thought it was used on food -- but I guess the process is really safe when done correctly.

Cheers! Rachelle

one should hope so!! Thats a lil freaky ! Hey be glad she didnt ask about your meth lab or something lol...half the time I go into stores they make me swear up and down im not making meth (why on earth would anyone want to make that stuff!!---bleeeeeeegchh)....

those people messed it up for the rest of us, I think lye would be so much cheaper if it was still sold in a wide range of stores !

Back