No Lye for Me!!! :(

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Krickett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Well today I went on a hunting spree in our town looking for lye. I checked wal mart no such luck all they had was draino, and drain cleaners of some flavor or another. Went to Co-Op and Feed store no luck there either. Called a drug store still nothing. Spread my search out to 3 other towns called 3 feed stores in one town same thing nothing.
Called feed stores in 2 other towns---still NOTHING, now I have gotten frustrated and have no idea where to look now. Guess I could shop the wonderful world of the net. Then I have to wait till we can get the extra $$ to put on the prepay CC we have and order and wait. Good thing I have learned over the yrs. of raising my kids to have a bit of patience! Any ideas or suggestions? As always in advance many Thx for the info and help! :roll:


Krickett
 

digit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
6
Try looking in hardware stores. If you have a Lowes, they carry Roebic in 2# containers for around $7. Check and make sure it is 100%.

Search the forum, there have been many threads on this topic and where people have found lye locally from water purification plants to plumbers.

Digit
 

antella

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
I was wondering this, too, where to get lye without having to order it. I heard sometimes Roebic's isn't totally pure but it couldn't be any worse than the 2 lbs I just bought last month from a popular soap supplies company. It had brown flecks I had to pick out, wouldn't dissolve and made the worst ash ever. Of course, no refund or exchange is possible and I think that is just rotten customer service. They didn't seem like they even wanted to hear about it.

I liked Red Devil, it was right there on the grocery store shelf any time you wanted some, was good quality lye, but now it's no longer an option. :(
 

Krickett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Thanks you 2 for the info. And Roebics is that a name brand? Will have to call the hardware stores tomorrow we have a Lowes, a Leonards, and a National one too.

Krickett
 

IanT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
4,699
Reaction score
71
antella said:
I was wondering this, too, where to get lye without having to order it. I heard sometimes Roebic's isn't totally pure but it couldn't be any worse than the 2 lbs I just bought last month from a popular soap supplies company. It had brown flecks I had to pick out, wouldn't dissolve and made the worst ash ever. Of course, no refund or exchange is possible and I think that is just rotten customer service. They didn't seem like they even wanted to hear about it.

I liked Red Devil, it was right there on the grocery store shelf any time you wanted some, was good quality lye, but now it's no longer an option. :(
yeah we can thank all those meth-heads for that...baah! why do people have to try to use everything to make drugs!
 

antella

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
The whole subject of meth horrifies me. I've seen that billboard sign where it says From Meth to Death and that poor woman's picture. She looks like a skeleton. But I was just plain mad when it affected me and my love of soapmaking.

80 lbs of lye? :eek: Wow! I may check some of that out.
 
G

Guest

Krickett said:
Well today I went on a hunting spree in our town looking for lye. I checked wal mart no such luck all they had was draino, and drain cleaners of some flavor or another. Went to Co-Op and Feed store no luck there either. Called a drug store still nothing. Spread my search out to 3 other towns called 3 feed stores in one town same thing nothing.
Called feed stores in 2 other towns---still NOTHING, now I have gotten frustrated and have no idea where to look now. Guess I could shop the wonderful world of the net. Then I have to wait till we can get the extra $$ to put on the prepay CC we have and order and wait. Good thing I have learned over the yrs. of raising my kids to have a bit of patience! Any ideas or suggestions? As always in advance many Thx for the info and help! :roll:


Krickett
I can't buy it in nc because of people making crystal meth w/ it. I know, its frustrating. I order it from Rainbow Meadow. They have the best price.
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
95
Location
SW Missouri
La Oberhasli said:
Krickett said:
Well today I went on a hunting spree in our town looking for lye. I checked wal mart no such luck all they had was draino, and drain cleaners of some flavor or another. Went to Co-Op and Feed store no luck there either. Called a drug store still nothing. Spread my search out to 3 other towns called 3 feed stores in one town same thing nothing.
Called feed stores in 2 other towns---still NOTHING, now I have gotten frustrated and have no idea where to look now. Guess I could shop the wonderful world of the net. Then I have to wait till we can get the extra $$ to put on the prepay CC we have and order and wait. Good thing I have learned over the yrs. of raising my kids to have a bit of patience! Any ideas or suggestions? As always in advance many Thx for the info and help! :roll:


Krickett
I can't buy it in nc because of people making crystal meth w/ it. I know, its frustrating. I order it from Rainbow Meadow. They have the best price.
AAA Chemical price on lye beats Rainbow Medow prices, a lot! :wink: :D

If I sell it, I'll beat anyone's price.
Paul
 

reallyrita

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
6
No lye for me

I have found lye at ACE hardware stores....the smaller independent ones...in the plumbing section. It is called Rooto and is 100% lye. It comes in 2 lb white plastic jars for just under $7 dollars. None of the big box hardware stores carry it anymore around here because of the crystal meth industry in our area. It is so frustrating. Sometimes I can only find one jar at a time.
 

Laurie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
393
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
If you live near a large city, you could check under chemicals in the yellow pages. That's what I did and they were willing to sell the lye to me.
50# for about $55.00. I have bought from them twice.

I do live in Canada in the province of Saskatchewan. I don't know if it is different in the States.

I should mention that they let me drive away with it in my van which has no trunk. I sent a friend there and they wouldn't let them have it in their van. It had to be a car with a trunk or the back of a truck.

Laurie
 

antella

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
ACE in my city doesn't carry Rooto or any other brand of lye. Just things like Liquid Plumber for drains.
 
G

Guest

Soapmaker Man said:
AAA Chemical price on lye beats Rainbow Medow prices, a lot! :wink: :D

If I sell it, I'll beat anyone's price.
Paul
Do they make you sign a HASMAT wavier?
 

Krickett

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
BINGO--found some today called 3 different hardware stores and low and behold the last one I called--Lowes--had it. I asked for sodium hydroxide and he said yeah we have some drain cleaner and I said I need 100% lye to make homemade soap and he said let me check. "Yes Mam we have it 100% lye it says." $7.66 for a 2# thing of it. Now the only thing I have left to get is a set of scales. Thanks everyone for the help! I it is much appreciated!! :D

Krickett
 
G

Guest

Pooie. Good for you though! Wow, that's an amazing price considering that you didn't have to pay for shipping!
 

itsmeroro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
Location
Paso Robles, CA
Vinters (wine makers) and Olive peeps use lye also to soak thier fruit in... if there are vineyards around you, you might ask them...

:) Good Luck -- O - also OSH might have it.

:) Rachelle
 

IanT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
4,699
Reaction score
71
itsmeroro- wooahh didnt know that! so the olive oil and stuff we eat has most likely been exposed to this stuff??? crazy!
 
Top