No Lye for Me!!! :(

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Krickett

Reaction score
Well today I went on a hunting spree in our town looking for lye. I checked wal mart no such luck all they had was draino, and drain cleaners of some flavor or another. Went to Co-Op and Feed store no luck there either. Called a drug store still nothing. Spread my search out to 3 other towns called 3 feed stores in one town same thing nothing.
Called feed stores in 2 other towns---still NOTHING, now I have gotten frustrated and have no idea where to look now. Guess I could shop the wonderful world of the net. Then I have to wait till we can get the extra $$ to put on the prepay CC we have and order and wait. Good thing I have learned over the yrs. of raising my kids to have a bit of patience! Any ideas or suggestions? As always in advance many Thx for the info and help! :roll:

Krickett

digit

Reaction score
Try looking in hardware stores. If you have a Lowes, they carry Roebic in 2# containers for around $7. Check and make sure it is 100%.

Search the forum, there have been many threads on this topic and where people have found lye locally from water purification plants to plumbers.

Digit

antella

Reaction score
I was wondering this, too, where to get lye without having to order it. I heard sometimes Roebic's isn't totally pure but it couldn't be any worse than the 2 lbs I just bought last month from a popular soap supplies company. It had brown flecks I had to pick out, wouldn't dissolve and made the worst ash ever. Of course, no refund or exchange is possible and I think that is just rotten customer service. They didn't seem like they even wanted to hear about it.

I liked Red Devil, it was right there on the grocery store shelf any time you wanted some, was good quality lye, but now it's no longer an option. :(

Krickett

Reaction score
Thanks you 2 for the info. And Roebics is that a name brand? Will have to call the hardware stores tomorrow we have a Lowes, a Leonards, and a National one too.

Krickett

IanT

Reaction score
antella said:
I was wondering this, too, where to get lye without having to order it. I heard sometimes Roebic's isn't totally pure but it couldn't be any worse than the 2 lbs I just bought last month from a popular soap supplies company. It had brown flecks I had to pick out, wouldn't dissolve and made the worst ash ever. Of course, no refund or exchange is possible and I think that is just rotten customer service. They didn't seem like they even wanted to hear about it.

I liked Red Devil, it was right there on the grocery store shelf any time you wanted some, was good quality lye, but now it's no longer an option. :(
yeah we can thank all those meth-heads for that...baah! why do people have to try to use everything to make drugs!

antella

Reaction score
The whole subject of meth horrifies me. I've seen that billboard sign where it says From Meth to Death and that poor woman's picture. She looks like a skeleton. But I was just plain mad when it affected me and my love of soapmaking.

80 lbs of lye? :eek: Wow! I may check some of that out.

G

Krickett said:
Well today I went on a hunting spree in our town looking for lye. I checked wal mart no such luck all they had was draino, and drain cleaners of some flavor or another. Went to Co-Op and Feed store no luck there either. Called a drug store still nothing. Spread my search out to 3 other towns called 3 feed stores in one town same thing nothing.
Called feed stores in 2 other towns---still NOTHING, now I have gotten frustrated and have no idea where to look now. Guess I could shop the wonderful world of the net. Then I have to wait till we can get the extra $$ to put on the prepay CC we have and order and wait. Good thing I have learned over the yrs. of raising my kids to have a bit of patience! Any ideas or suggestions? As always in advance many Thx for the info and help! :roll:

Krickett
I can't buy it in nc because of people making crystal meth w/ it. I know, its frustrating. I order it from Rainbow Meadow. They have the best price.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
La Oberhasli said:
Krickett said:

Krickett
I can't buy it in nc because of people making crystal meth w/ it. I know, its frustrating. I order it from Rainbow Meadow. They have the best price.
AAA Chemical price on lye beats Rainbow Medow prices, a lot! :wink: :D

If I sell it, I'll beat anyone's price.
Paul

reallyrita

Reaction score
No lye for me

I have found lye at ACE hardware stores....the smaller independent ones...in the plumbing section. It is called Rooto and is 100% lye. It comes in 2 lb white plastic jars for just under $7 dollars. None of the big box hardware stores carry it anymore around here because of the crystal meth industry in our area. It is so frustrating. Sometimes I can only find one jar at a time.

Laurie

Reaction score
If you live near a large city, you could check under chemicals in the yellow pages. That's what I did and they were willing to sell the lye to me.
50# for about $55.00. I have bought from them twice.

I do live in Canada in the province of Saskatchewan. I don't know if it is different in the States.

I should mention that they let me drive away with it in my van which has no trunk. I sent a friend there and they wouldn't let them have it in their van. It had to be a car with a trunk or the back of a truck.

Laurie

antella

Reaction score
ACE in my city doesn't carry Rooto or any other brand of lye. Just things like Liquid Plumber for drains.

G

Soapmaker Man said:
AAA Chemical price on lye beats Rainbow Medow prices, a lot! :wink: :D

If I sell it, I'll beat anyone's price.
Paul
Do they make you sign a HASMAT wavier?

Krickett

Reaction score
BINGO--found some today called 3 different hardware stores and low and behold the last one I called--Lowes--had it. I asked for sodium hydroxide and he said yeah we have some drain cleaner and I said I need 100% lye to make homemade soap and he said let me check. "Yes Mam we have it 100% lye it says." $7.66 for a 2# thing of it. Now the only thing I have left to get is a set of scales. Thanks everyone for the help! I it is much appreciated!! :D

Krickett

G

Pooie. Good for you though! Wow, that's an amazing price considering that you didn't have to pay for shipping!

itsmeroro

Reaction score
Vinters (wine makers) and Olive peeps use lye also to soak thier fruit in... if there are vineyards around you, you might ask them...

:) Good Luck -- O - also OSH might have it.

:) Rachelle

IanT

Reaction score
itsmeroro- wooahh didnt know that! so the olive oil and stuff we eat has most likely been exposed to this stuff??? crazy!