I am not a theoretical soaper any more!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
I finally, finally made my first batch of soap after many hours on Pinterest, this forum and Etsy ogling people's techniques.

Of course, I made lots of rookie mistakes.

1. Lacked foresight (didn't calculate number of separate containers I needed, didn't do things in the right order, initially had no idea how to clean up).

2. Didn't have good stick blender technique. I was a total student driver.

3. Tried something other than a super-basic recipe. I separated the traced soap into two containers and did 1 half annatto-colored (annatto steeped in sweet almond oil), 1 half Titanium O2 colored with poppy seeds. Of course it all mushed together in the mold.

Nevertheless I had my fun spoon-carving the top in random way.

The mold is lined with removable shelf liner by the way. We'll see how that works.

Fingers crossed it turns into stuff that cleans skin!

Z4wUlvO.jpg

Yay! The fun has begun! But I kind of think you are still a theoretical soaper, because it looks like you are constantly going to be testing and trying new things ;)

Can't wait to see the cut!

Congratulations on your first batch! I haven't been soaping very long, and I still learn something from every batch I make. Welcome to the wonderful world of soapmaking!

I couldn't wait another seven hours, so I took the walls off my mold to check if my white and orangey-yellows bled. Nope!

Definitely looks like a simple little soap, but not unappetizing at all.

Shelf liner worked pretty slick! I'll get to re-use it.

fP8zHlZ.jpg

I am soooo jealous, I can't believe that was your first try! I regret my first being with coconut oil (is it just me or is this starting to sound like I'm not talking about soap :p).

Really great job, beautiful!

What kind of shelf liner did you use?

I am soooo jealous, I can't believe that was your first try! I regret my first being with coconut oil (is it just me or is this starting to sound like I'm not talking about soap :p).

Really great job, beautiful!

What kind of shelf liner did you use?
I used ConTact brand shelf liner ... just picked it based on smooth texture and it being removeable. Seems to work really well and the blueness doesn't affect anything. 8)

Looks better than my soap, and I've made quite a few batches by now. Nice job!

Wow, congrats! This is gorgeous soap! You have to show us cut pictures :)

Latest posts

Back