How do you get this look?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Natural Soap

Reaction score
Ok- so it's a blue soap. Not very different, really. But, does anyone have any suggestions for how to make a "fluffy" sort of shaped soap like the one in the link?
My bars are all very rectangular, and the soap batter fills in the mold to make corners... I would love to make some with a soft cloud-look like these. ahhh. soap envy. never good.

Hmmm.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52331245/ki ... =&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

IDK, it almost looks like a whipped soap (nizzy style). But even my whipped soaps come out shapped rectangular like my mold. Hum? Not sure....but it sure is gorgeous :)

It looks to me like she just got it to a really thick trace and then blobbed it into a loaf mold. It sure is heavenly looking, isn't it? :)

It looks to me like she just got it to a really thick trace and then blobbed it into a loaf mold. It sure is heavenly looking, isn't it? :)

OOPS! Sorry for the double post :oops: internet issues! LOL

I saw this one yesterday too. It's gorgeous.
I agree with Valor on the technique
Check out some of Lyn's pics in the gallery, very similar effect and I'm pretty sure that's what she does.

that's what I thought too... it does look a little whipped but I bet it's just really thick trace.

it is so frustrating to me to try to get it THAT thick! takes forever! but very pretty.

Maybe it was piped from a bag at very heavy trace. If it were heavy enough (theoretically) you may be able to fore go the mold and pipe straight onto freezer paper. I do make a very thick trace soap to use for whipped topping on a pie soap i make.

hmmm. My only experience with "super thick" was a seized batch. I used too much shea and wsp's "Euphoria" EO-- seized awfully fast. But, it was all chunky gunky looking, and I literally had to pack it into my mold by the handful.

Is a heavy trace batch much different from seized?

Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow.... It's my birthday!!! And, I'll be doing my favorite thing- making soap!!!

yes, they are different.

heavy trace means it's well blended, but thick.
seized typically means it moved so fast you couldn't get it blended smoothly or completely (or if you managed to, it was purely by luck)

This is how I got a super thick batch that did not seized...I cooled my lye. I did not use any hard fats or butters only soft ones like lard and shortening and then my oils. I mixed the fats and oils together with my mixer but I didnt whip it. I poured the lye in and used the SB until the lye was mixed in good. It was like pouring thick cake mix into the mold. I cannot do near as good as she did making the top like that but it was really spreadable.

It is like halfway between whipped soap and medium trace. I dont know how or if you could do that with an all vegetable oil soap but you could use vegetable shortening and do it.

Looks like she used an egg wisk to fluff up the top. You use an egg wisk to dip in and out slowly once it's in the mould and it makes pretty decorations.

I've done similar style soaps with a high centre and the trick is to pour at a very thick trace...

DSCN1445.jpg

This one is a lower top but "fluffed" to create the look I was going after

DSC00009.jpg

It looks to me like she did use a whisk to "fluff" it after pouring.

Gorgeous soap!

Well, I have a question too. How do you make that very thin layaer of sparkling gold mica between two soap layers? It looks SO pretty!

Lyn get's her soap tops fluffy like this too. She posted somewhere how she did it. I can't find it though. Maybe someone will find it or she can post here as well.

I KNEW it was going to be Naiad when I saw this post - I have her favorited as she has some gorgeous soaps and scrubs.

Her cream soap sugar scrubs are my inspiration for joining the cream soap group on yahoo. I'm not ready to try it yet, but soon!

Thanks EZ Girl - I used mica that I sprinkled on using a powder shaker. You want to do only a thin layer otherwise it can come apart...

Lindy said:
Thanks EZ Girl - I used mica that I sprinkled on using a powder shaker. You want to do only a thin layer otherwise it can come apart...

It looks awesome! I just made my first batch of CP and had so much fun. My friends already ligned up to get a bar from me in 4 weeks, so I'm thinking to make another batch.
How much mica would you use let say for a standard loaf? (32 oz I guess)

Latest posts

Back