SMF August 2023 Challenge: SHAPES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a fun day at the farmers market today I purchased some home made soap I was so surprised to find more soap makers in my little northern town. I honestly Thought I was the only one. There was a guy selling men's soaps too! Lol I have met 3 people now that also make soap. I bet it would be fun to get together and make some soap I should ask them but I'm a bit shy lol. This is the amazing soap I bought today!
IMG_20230825_205818.jpg

Oh I love your tree that is amazing @Tammyfarms that's a technique I haven't tried yet but plan on trying it in the future. It is truly cool ( because of the snow.) 😎
I probably should have mentioned I saw the technique on a video from Hollys soap making. She has a lot of feather design videos.
Turn it upside down and tell people it’s a Victorian tree, like in the PBS series Victoria, where they hung trees from the ceiling. This is one more case where an alternate perspective is useful because it’s hard to get one’s original preconceived vision out of one’s head* to reimagine the art. 😊

* side story. I made several dichroic glass tiles for the Autoharp Gathering six years ago. Pic for reference.View attachment 74236
On one of the tiles, I messed up royally, and the image came out backwards. If it didn’t say Autoharp gathering, I might have gotten away with it. I took it with me anyway, and put it in the silent auction along with another correct, facing tile like the one above. In an impulsive flash, I labeled the backward one as a dyslexic tile. Wouldn’t you know, it fetched four times the value of the correct tile. I try and remember that when I look at soap that turns out different than I expected.
I love this idea and am totally doing it. From this moment forward it is a Victorian tree. 😉
Your tile is beautiful and I love that story!

I'll trim them up in a few days and probably give them to friends to use as guest soaps, since most of them at most are about 2" x 2.5" in size.

View attachment 74216
Those are really cute! I had a couple air bubbles this time and learned about patching. It’s amazing how much can be fixed.

Soap sisters for life lol I'm glad you found your hoof pick that also happens to me alot lol😂 unfortunately I still can't find my embeds lol they were fake chocolate chips I made to sprinkle on top of my soap and put them in a tiny cup now I can't find it anywhere lol🤣
I would love to have my old, working brain again….

@dmcgee5034 I love your apples! Especially that you used stuff around the house to make them.

The Entry Thread has been officially opened! Looking forward to seeing everyone's beautiful creations!

For those of you on the fence, you still have until the closing date of August 28 to officially join the challenge and enter your soap. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next sign-up:

1. Ford....
2. glendam
3. Georgeandstella I'm in :)
4. 2lilboots
5. ScentimentallyYours
6. McKherring Farm
7. klaw2
8. CLMP-this will be interesting 🥰.
9. Tammyfarms - looking forward to the fun.
10. dmcgee5034 - I am finally feeling shapely for this challenge 🌸
11. The_Emerald_Chicken
12. Cindy D. all my good molds & color samples are at the other house...challenge 🤣
13. Blufuz- OMG I really didn’t expect it to work but it did so here I am squeaking in at the last minute!

The Entry Thread has been officially opened! Looking forward to seeing everyone's beautiful creations!

For those of you on the fence, you still have until the closing date of August 28 to officially join the challenge and enter your soap. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next sign-up:

1. Ford....
2. glendam
3. Georgeandstella I'm in :)
4. 2lilboots
5. ScentimentallyYours
6. McKherring Farm
7. klaw2
8. CLMP-this will be interesting 🥰.
9. Tammyfarms - looking forward to the fun.
10. dmcgee5034 - I am finally feeling shapely for this challenge 🌸
11. The_Emerald_Chicken
12. Cindy D. all my good molds & color samples are at the other house...challenge 🤣
13. Blufuz- OMG I really didn’t expect it to work but it did so here I am squeaking in at the last minute!
14. Mobjack - I managed to squeeze in a soap making session

I love your simple soap @Blufuz it looks like a mosaic table or art work nice!!! I'm finally done making my soap too! Just waiting to cut it to night or early tomorrow hoping it will be done in 18 hours.
Yes, love your soap (and the white color, with no TD), and how different bars have different imbeds.
May we also have a special call out to your cool toe socks in flip flops 🩴 on the last photo ? It’s a difficult look to pull up of, but you’ve done it, Too cool!

I had a fun day at the farmers market today I purchased some home made soap I was so surprised to find more soap makers in my little northern town. I honestly Thought I was the only one. There was a guy selling men's soaps too! Lol I have met 3 people now that also make soap. I bet it would be fun to get together and make some soap I should ask them but I'm a bit shy lol. This is the amazing soap I bought today!
I love to buy soaps from other local makers. I don't sell ATM, but I do like to see what others are doing and how their soaps compare to mine. Mostly so I can know that I’m making something good!

Yes, love your soap (and the white color, with no TD), and how different bars have different imbeds.
May we also have a special call out to your cool toe socks in flip flops 🩴 on the last photo ? It’s a difficult look to pull up of, but you’ve done it, Too cool!
😎

Yesterday was summer, today was winter, trying to keep up 😅

Now that I don't have all those ideas swimming around in my head... trying to be sorted out or how to even make them work...I can think about something else!

@dmcgee5034 , my first thought was pumpkin and those ITP swirls sure are nice!

@2lilboots I love your tops they came out so pretty. Your strips you put in remind me of a tall building with windows.

@Tammyfarms, your trees are amazing and what a perfect winter sky!

@Ford such bright vibrant colors, amazing!! I want to see them glow!

@Blufuz Such a wonderful natural white! I'd love to see your block shape in a bar of soap too! I've wanted to try ultra marine, but I'm chicken, does it have a sulfur smell?

@Mobjack Bay such calming colors to go with your heavenly moon!

So many amazing soaps and everyone unique!!

Wow, I'm just blown away by the entries so far - each so unique and utterly COOL!

@Blufuz, to clarify, your "shape" didn't have to be made out of an embeds. Smooshing soap pieces together is just fine, as long as one ends up with the recognizable shape of something. So your pentagon (I think that's what it was?) would have worked just fine, too. :)

@Blufuz Such a wonderful natural white! I'd love to see your block shape in a bar of soap too! I've wanted to try ultra marine, but I'm chicken, does it have a sulfur smell?

The hexagon/block shape was juuust too big to fit in one of my log molds; I made it by filling 3 logs half full, cutting each into 1/3 the longest length, then cutting them with the paper outline. The idea was a “3D” cube, but little imperfections break the optical illusion a bit. My biggest challenge was actually getting the parts to stick together; they don’t want to. I will tell the people I gift them to that it’s a “breakaway” soap so they get a piece each time.

Ultramarine doesn’t have any smell; I bought mine from a hipster art store. The biggest problem, which can be seen in the photos, is that it is a lot harder to mix in than micas; I haven’t found a good method yet, so sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Wow, I'm just blown away by the entries so far - each so unique and utterly COOL!

@Blufuz, to clarify, your "shape" didn't have to be made out of an embeds. Smooshing soap pieces together is just fine, as long as one ends up with the recognizable shape of something. So your pentagon (I think that's what it was?) would have worked just fine, too. :)
It felt like it shouldn’t count 😅 also because it is not actually doing a good job of sticking together 🙈

Latest posts

Back