SMF August 2023 Challenge: SHAPES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning everybody I just woke up what a nice way to wake up and find out that everybody's congrats are for you. Thank you so much everybody what a fun exciting morning and thank you for voting for me. I also would like to give a special congratulations to @Cindy D. , @ScentimentallyYours and @Ford your soaps are amazing and totally worthy lol 😂 and would like to add that everyone's soaps were amazing too and it was really tricky to choose from and I hope everyone has a wonderful soapy day!!!

This is the first soap that was already planned, was made for the Soap Challenge, but wasn’t entered because I had a soap I was happier with.
View attachment 74309
This is Sunny Duck soap. It was inspired by friends in Maryland, who have a bathroom dedicated to their rubber ducky collection. There must be more than 100 rubber ducks in their bathroom, not counting the other rubber duck decorative decor. Our friends are also excellent gourmet cooks. 😋

Oils for embeds and Sunny Duck soap:
33% High Oleic Sunflower oil
30% Duck fat
20% Coconut oil
12% GW 415 Soy wax
5% Castor oil

I was going to use a water themed fragrance, but one of the jars of duck fat had a little bit of a ducky odor and I was afraid that if it didn’t dissipate during the soap making process that the two aromas would not blend well. 💡 Then I thought of our friends’s cooking skills and decided that orange would be perfect. I had a new Lebermuth fragrance called Fresh Orange that is supposed to stick longer than other citrus fragrances and decided it was the right scent to use for the soap: Duck à la Orange. 🍊🍊🍊

The big surprise was that the orange mica did not produce cumulus clouds as planned. It turns out that Nurture’s Atomic Orange has oxides in it. I couldn’t figure out what happened since the results were so different from what was poured, and then I read the thread on glycerin rivers. Instead of getting cumulus clouds in the sky section, the dioxides in the mica created glycerin rivers and gave me cirrus clouds. Just another one of those happy accidents I guess. 😊
That is gorgeous! Did you use a scraper for the water?

That is gorgeous! Did you use a scraper for the water?
Yes, @Georgeandstella, after eating popsicles this summer to stave off the heat I had a brilliant idea for making my first ever scraper.
IMG_5257.jpeg

I remembered I had the tongue depressor size in my basement, which is what I used. The cross bar holds the sticks together and rides along the top of the mold so everything is the same height. I taped it together with blue painters tape. Now I’m thinking I want to try layers of water. 🌊🌊🌊

Next stop will be cutting my own scrapers for mountains. 🏔️🏔️🏔️

Yes, @Georgeandstella, after eating popsicles this summer to stave off the heat I had a brilliant idea for making my first ever scraper.
View attachment 74348
I remembered I had the tongue depressor size in my basement, which is what I used. The cross bar holds the sticks together and rides along the top of the mold so everything is the same height. I taped it together with blue painters tape. Now I’m thinking I want to try layers of water. 🌊🌊🌊

Great idea!

View attachment 74348

Great idea. I have some popsicle sticks and may give this a try. I have been thinking of cutting up a silicone cutting board, that is just a flexible sheet, and adding popsicle sticks would really reinforce that. 🤔

View attachment 74348

Love this idea, and the stabilizer across the top. How will you cut the scraper for mountains? I’ve used old flexible cutting boards 😊

Love this idea, and the stabilizer across the top. How will you cut the scraper for mountains? I’ve used old flexible cutting boards 😊
Yes, I was going to use old flexible cutting boards as well. 😊
The stabilizer bar across the top actually sets the height for the scraper as well. For multiple layers, I would just keep adding another popsicle stick under the one that’s there to set the height above the previous scrape.

These are the soaps I meant to enter in the challenge (well, the one on the right). There was not enough contrast for what was supposed to be the white mannequin I decided to add more soap dough for the jackets, like the one on the left, and for a lot of the soaps I had to, since they were a bit on the Picasso cubism side, with the ams and heads becoming displaced.
ADDB1E47-75F5-470F-BC98-8CF841B62BB0.jpeg

This will be like intermission entertainment while waiting for the voting to come in:
—————————————-
I woke up to the voting emails, and realized I missed posting my entry due to distractions-where did August go? Here is my (now non-) entry:

This challenge was inspired by our beach vacation- watching the sailboats on the horizon from the beach, very relaxing.

I collected seawater for the liquid (strained and boiled).

For the sand I included a little bit of sea algae that I collected and dried, along with African black soap shreds and ground oatmeal (see picture).

For the imbed, I handmade the boat and sun using soap dough (love playing with this).

And yes my husband was SO happy to be transporting seaweed and seawater back in our luggage 😂We’ve come to an understanding (tolerance) now.

I’m continuing to work on “the beach scene” soap, I’ve posted other variations in a separate post below.

View attachment 74298

View attachment 74299
Sea Algae, African black soap and oatmeal for sand.
View attachment 74300

Here’s some imbed soap dough boats from another attempt-I decided to make the mast brown on the Challenge soap.View attachment 74301

My entry this month was (would have been) a sailboat on the ocean. I’m still working on this theme, (variation between sky and water, size of boat and sun, amount of white for water froth or clouds, color of the boat, etc), so there is a lot to play with. Here are some of my attempts:

View attachment 74304
Wow, this is so clever! I love how you incorporated things from the actual beach!

Latest posts

Back