Does plastic make your M&P colors bleed????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
I made a beautiful batch of soaps recently..stuck each of them into a ziploc baggie. I just went to open the box...and most of the colors bled into one another! They were not out in the hot sun....just in a tupperware container on my kitchen table for about a week. Does anyone have any ideas why? Do they need to be unwrapped when you store them? When i see them at Farmer's Markets, etc. they are usually wrapped in plastic......

Thanks so much! (still learning...:)

Stephanie

I think the dyes bleeding has to do with the type or brand of dye you are using, not the container. I don't want to hex myself by saying this, but I've never had my soaps bleed in the open air, sealed in cellophane, or in plastic tubs.

Water based dyes will bleed in MP.

What kind of color did you use, was it layered in the individual soap?

Did the color you use specifically say it would not bleed?

Colors bleeding in plastic

Thanks so much for the fast replies...
My colors I use are liquid lab colors. The colors were beautiful when I made the soap and for a few days after ....they seemed to bleed once they were left inside the plastic bags.....
so i'm not sure.......
But thanks for your help!

Stephanie

Bags do not cause colors to bleed, only colrs cause colrs to bleed.

When working w/ M&P you must make certain each color you purchase is non-bleeding. Chances are, if the item description does not say it is non-bleeding, it will bleed. If it is non-bleeding, they shout it from the mountain top.

... even within the same brand, some will bleed & some won't so you have to always be double checking.

I think you may have added too much colorant and they weren't mixed very well. Once they are dry they will bleed out the color. I've ruined batches of mp because the colorant mixed with too much oil made it leak out of the soap. Or once I wanted a darker color, added the colorant, when I washed a bar to see if the suds would color it didn't but because of moisture it did leak some colorant. That's probably why I don't make mp anymore in humid temps or put them direnctly in plastic containers. If you want to let them harden a bit before wrapping wrap in saran wrap and then put them in containers.

Back