SMF April 2020 Challenge - Strainer Pour/Pull Through Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the April 2020 SMF Soap Challenge. This month’s challenge is the Strainer Pour/Pull Through Technique. I have included the option to do a Pull Through design, since it might be difficult for some people to go out to get a strainer or small colander if you don't already have one.

PLEASE READ ALL RULES for the challenge

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry. The sign-up list will be posted in this thread.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (via SMF conversations) to registered participants ONLY, so please check your messages when the voting begins.

4. Please do not post photos of your entry until the entry thread is opened. Non-entry photos are very welcome and may be posted in this thread. The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts (other than your entry) where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members, and provide helpful hints you learned along the way.

5. Your soap must be made after the monthly challenge has been announced.

6. You are allowed to change your entry photo until the entry thread closes. If you decide you want another try after you post your entry, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

7. In the spirit of advancing our soapmaking skills, all members who sign-up for an SMF Challenge, do so with the expectation that they will make every attempt to make a soap for the challenge. Writing about your experience in the challenge is encouraged. By doing so, each participate has a better knowledge of your process when voting. We do understand that sometimes things come up in our lives and throw our plans out of whack, however signing up with no intent to participate and only to vote is not in the spirit of the challenges and is not allowed.

8. Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced), but please do post your experiences in the main Challenge thread and be prepared to be encouraged to continue trying.

9. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The entry thread will open on April 20, 2020 at 12:01 am GMT (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).

· After the closing date on April 26 at 11:59 pm GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey (Voting will be open from April 27 to April 29) and the winner will be announced on April 30, 2020. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload pictures of your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We always love to see anything you have produced.

· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible, your entry will not be included in the voting.

· All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPECIFIC RULES FOR THIS CHALLENGE:

1. You will make your soap from one batch, using a strainer or other object to pour your batter through or over, and then pull the strainer/object up through the batter which will create a pattern.

2. You must use at least 3 colors (one can be uncolored batter).

3. You must create your pattern using only the strainer/object you are pouring over or through. You may not use a skewer or other object to manipulate the batter after it is poured, and you may not spin your mold or otherwise alter the poured batter. You may pour your colors in any way you wish – such as a faux funnel pour, drop swirl or in the pot swirls are examples of allowed pouring techniques.

4. You can use any type of mold you wish. Individual molds will work with a strainer. A column mold, pvc pipe or Pringles can will work for round soaps. Slab and loaf molds will probably give you the most flexibility in design.

5. If you upload more than one picture to the entry thread, please specify which you would like to be used for the voting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helpful tips:

- Make sure that everything you are using is compatible with lye based soap. I have included a video by Marie Nadeau who shared what happens when you don’t!

- Using a slow-moving recipe and starting to pour at emulsion or very thin trace is probably the most helpful tip I can share. You will want enough time to finish pouring before your batter becomes too thick. Ending your pour at medium trace will still give good results. If you are using fragrance, choose one that you know is well behaved.

- I have poured a portion of my batter as a base using an accelerating FO to help it set up enough to support strainers or a colander, which will allow the batter to flow through without filling them up too quickly. If you choose this option, keep in mind that the entire soap needs to be made from one batch.

- Many of us are under stay at home directives due to the current health related crisis. This is your chance to get creative with your choice of strainers or other objects.

- If you are able to go out, the Dollar Tree or similar sells silicone sink strainers (if those stores are still open where you live). The sink strainer in my kitchen sink is stainless steel. Amazon has them available: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Strainer-strainers,Drain-FilterLarge-Diameter/dp/B07RNGJ7N4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=silicone+sink+strainer&qid=1585284736&sr=8-6

- Remember to attach strings or something if it is needed to pull your strainer/object up through the batter.

- Planing your soap will often help to reveal the pattern. The batter for my strainer pour in the individual cavity molds was still extremely fluid and drippy. Having something ready to catch the drips is helpful.

Inspiration photos and links:

This soap was made using a small colander in a 6x6 slab mold
5.2019 Kalaidesoap Pour_Pull Through Challenge.jpg

These soaps were made using a sink strainer in individual cavity molds
strainer pour.jpg

These soaps were made using sink strainers in a loaf mold.
grapefruit strainer.jpg

grapefruit pour.jpg

Marie Nadeau’s video of what happens when an object is used that is not soap safe (start at 9:25 if you don’t want to watch the whole video).

And her redemption -

Little Pipestone Ranch Soap Co. -

SNIF Natural Soapmaking -

Kapia Mera -

Lucie Steblova Kantorova used a 3d printed screen (just remember you can not spin your poured soap like she does in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Yc3VmLx1I

SMF member Sonya-m created this beautiful soap using the pull through technique with a tool she made from garden wire. Her blog post: https://bubblesnsqueaksoap2.wordpre...apworks-challenge-may-2019-pull-pour-through/
sonya pull through.JPG

By Delta Tule, using a rain gutter screen cut to fit into the bottom of her mold:
delta tule.JPG

By Mad Soaper using plastic netting:
Mad Soaper.JPG

This was made by Love Your Suds using a 3D printed soap shaper. She has made these available for sale here: https://www.loveyoursuds.com/store/p85/kaleidoscope-soap-shaper.html#/
love your suds.JPG

Your turn! Get creative and have fun - I can't wait to see what you make!

Attachments

• Mad Soaper.JPG
    Mad Soaper.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 50
1. Atiz. This looks like so much fun and I need some more excuse to make soap.

2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.

2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
3. Misschief - been wanting to try this. Now, I have no excuse.

4. Bookreader451 - just note my results may differ :p

I LOVE how these look and have been eager to try this technique. Posting my reply and will look at my post count to see if I'm close to qualifying...

5. msunnerstood - Im going to try this with fluid HP.

5. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)

5. msunnerstood - I'm going to try this with fluid HP.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but if a strainer is dishwasher-safe, does it mean it is safe to use with the raw batter?
I have a plastic strainer that would be the perfect size (part of a salad spinner really), but it doesn't have any sign (2 or 5 recyclable) on it. And I would rather not have it melt...... Anyone have any experience with such?

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but if a strainer is dishwasher-safe, does it mean it is safe to use with the raw batter?
I have a plastic strainer that would be the perfect size (part of a salad spinner really), but it doesn't have any sign (2 or 5 recyclable) on it. And I would rather not have it melt...... Anyone have any experience with such?
The colander I used is just a cheap plastic one I picked up at the grocery store. It doesn't have to stay in contact with the batter for too long. The colander is a hard, rigid plastic. If you think about something like disposable plastic spoons - they are fine for a short time in soap batter. I would be suspect of something that is flexible or vinyl. If your salad spinner is something you don't want to accidently damage, I wouldn't use it. I hope this helps.

I just need a little clarification. I can either pour through or pull through. Is this correct?
I was thinking about this question, and I want to be sure I understand what you are asking. Regarding pour through - I meant something that can be set in the bottom of a soap mold (or on a set up layer of soap) and poured into. Not something that is somehow suspended above the mold and poured through. Is that how you understood it? Let me know if it isn't so I can try to change the wording in the challenge to be more clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
5. msunnerstood - I'm going to try this with fluid HP.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
Woops, I'm sorry I didn't see @msunnerstood signed up before me.. :oops: thanks for clearing it out @dibbles !

I am obsessed with my new e
I was thinking about this question, and I want to be sure I understand what you are asking. Regarding pour through - I meant something that can be set in the bottom of a soap mold (or on a set up layer of soap) and poured into. Not something that is somehow suspended above the mold and poured through. Is that how you understood it? Let me know if it isn't so I can try to change the wording in the challenge to be more clear.
I was wondering about a colander in a slab mold.

Back