So now I have uploaded my entry, here are the other soaps I ended up with through this process. My entry was attempt #1 funnily enough, done with a mini colander and a faux funnel pour.
Attempt #2 was done with a full size veggie strainer and scented in BB Applejack peel. Also done with a faux funnel pour
View attachment 45493
View attachment 45494
View attachment 45495
Attempt #3 was also using a full size kitchen colander but with round holes instead of verticle slits, I wondered if that would make a difference. Im still not sure to be honest as I did an ITPS for this one which looked amazing but then when poured through the colander it all blended together. scented in BB coastal rain
View attachment 45496
View attachment 45497
Attempt #4. Poured through a plastic vegetable slicer, by this time I'm thinking verticle slits work better than holes. I like the pattern better but I I did an ITPS again and again I wasn't happy with the results as they muddled going through the pour through tools. Scented with BB Energy
View attachment 45499
View attachment 45500
Attempt # ... ? 5 I think? Was individual round moulds with a variety of sink strainers as pull through tools. Mostly a failure but this one was the best of a bad bunch. Scented in Eroma's Alpine Oak and Vetiver - absolutely devine but discolours. I put the fragrance only in the black and dark blue portions but as you can see some has bled across
View attachment 45501
Attempt #6 was using an actual silicon sink strainer! Purchased on eBay - in Australia for our Aussie members. I really do think that this one gives the best results and I am going to try it out again later today. For this one I did a faux funnel pour again, having decided by this stage that an ITPS doesn't work as well. Scented with Lavender and patchouli essential oils, and a different recipe to my usual one - this is goat milk soap with goat tallow and jojoba. I like the patterns but not the intensity of the colours. This was my first time experimenting with natural plant colourants so this has indigo, madder root and allanet root infused in olive oil. Quite happy with it as a first play with these colours as I had no idea what to expect
View attachment 45502
View attachment 45503
To summarise since I know this is a very long post - my take home lessons were:
- faux funnel pour works better than an ITPS
- the correct tool definitely yields better results
The other things I learned:
- I had to plane A LOT of soap away in order to find a nice pattern, which is probably the main reason I probably won't use this technique regularly. I don't often make confetti soap etc and now I have an absolute mountain of soap scraps.
- I found that at the start of the pour the pattern was beautiful, however as I continued to pour, when my slab mould filled up and the soap started to hit the edges and accumulate, it started to mess with the lovely intricate pattern I previously had
- for that reason, I can see myself using this technique as a very thin layer to decorate the top of a loaf of soap (which I might try a knit later today) rather than using it in a slab mould as the actual bar of soap. I think pouring it as a thin layer would work to the patterns advantage without having to plane away a heap of soap
Thanks again for the challenge and we'll done to everyone who participated!