Clean The World!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love this idea, how do they get it past the inspectors? doesnt that sort of thing have to be checked or something? just wondering.

honor435 said:
i love this idea, how do they get it past the inspectors? doesnt that sort of thing have to be checked or something? just wondering.

Checked for what? They comply with Customs. Soap can be exported, it's just expensive to buy. The soap they bring is given free to the people.

If you're worried about the safety of the soap you should know that they have a patent pending on a autoclave type machine that heats the soap and kills any bacteria, etc. They've done extensive testing, even injecting E coli into the soap prior to the sterilization.

If you search around their website it explains how/that they sterilize the soap.

I don't understand why they don't just ship NaOH over and show the locals how to make soap ???

Does it make sense to ship soap half way round the world ? I am sure they have coconut-oil in Haiti and Animal fats ?

Or maybe even start a factory to produce KOH / NaOH from local wood ash ?

I wouldn't mind shipping my fugly soap (land travel doesn't cost that much, just takes ages), but it would be nice to see something happening locally so that people can start supporting themselves.

The reasoning behind their endeavor is to take soap that would have been otherwise discarded and put it to use.

Recycle, Reduce, Reuse.

I can see the recycling part. But the locals are so poor, wouldn't it be nice to see something done to get out of that poverty ?

I have already emailed them to see if they have a european collection point or if it would be feasible to set one up.

A large percentage of the poverty for the Haitian people isn't from a lack of resources, remember it shares Hispaniola with the Dominican Republic. The people of Haiti are victims of a corrupt government.

I wouldn't mind shipping my fugly soap (land travel doesn't cost that much, just takes ages), but it would be nice to see something happening locally so that people can start supporting themselves.

It would be awsome for some one to take on a challenge like that. Would you be willing to organise it?

I propably wouldn't be able to, although I might think about organizing a european collection point for this, depends on if they would like to expand.

I will try and get in touch with Melinda Coss, she has just done a trip to Nigeria to teach local women to soap http://www.makesoap.biz/Soap-Making-Nigeria.htm, maybe she would be interested in working with this group.

Shipping today......

I have 11.2 pounds off stinky fuglies sitting boxed up on the table ready to take to the post office today.
Thanks again for this wonderful information. What a privilege... I get to have fun and make soap and learn, and someone else gets to benefit from it in a life changing or potentially lifesaving way. Can't ask for more than that!!

Ditto what oldragbagger said.

I'm going to gather up some of my failed batches and send them off next week. I hate to rebatch and really don't have the time for it anyway. Plus, this mission has really gotten to my heart. It feels great to do things that really make a difference in this world, even if you cannot experience it firsthand.

Chris

I'm sending some uglies (Brown Cotton Candy doesn't cut it!) tomorrow.

I got a very nice email from Clean The World yesterday thanking me for the soap. So they really do notice and appeciate the contribution.

I am going through my soap , they will be getting my uglies too .But they smell nice :wink:

Kitn

thank you for this! I have a cousin that travels all the time and gets TONS of hotel soap so I'm asking him to donate as well. I have a box of scraps that I've been planning on rebatching but I'm just going to send it down there.

I hope this is still active and they accept handcrafted soap, because
I'm loading a box today (stuff I don't feel like re-batching).

Deda I hope you don't mind but I am blogging about this and posting it on other soap forums. Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful org to my attention. I'm also going to talk to local hotels about sending their soap too!

Soap Donations

Do they accept handmade soap? Does it need to be labeled etc? The website looks as if they only accept commercial type soaps from hotels etc. Love the idea.

So where do we send our donated soaps? I too have some batches that I would not sell (and that the family is sick and tired of trying to use up). I can fit about 60 bars into a $10 Priority Mail box.

Back