Clean The World!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap_for_breakfast said:
I just checked and it looks like it's only the US. It's kind of confusing because It looks like you have to be a hotel to donate soap. In the address boxes it lets you choose UK but you have to choose from american states...?

Anyone who isn't from the US able to get through?

I wrote to these people. Here's the email I got from them:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for writing to us. Yes, we will indeed accept soap donations from individuals! We are extremely grateful to folks like
you that are willing to donate their soap to our organization and cause.
Here is the address to our soap recycling plant:

Clean the World
c/o Threads of Compassion
4625 Old Winter Garden Rd. B7
Orlando, FL 32811
Attn: Steve Cooper

Warm regards,

Paul Till
Managing Director
Clean the World, Inc.
407 737-9681 - Office
407 404-0379 - Mobile
407 964-1301 - Fax
AH&LA Member
www.cleantheworld.org

I believe they will take soap from ANYWHERE and pretty much everything from new to gently used (eeks!) because I get the impression it is all melted down and rebatched with a germicidal added.

Now...let the donations roll!

Do they take M&P? How does that work when they rebatch? It just gets added into the CP and the commercial?

do they have anything like this in australia? the postage would be prohibitive to send soap to the US, plus the miles travelled would hardly make sense - i'd be better to make a cash donation, iykwim. perhaps what these organisations should do is have a reply paid system of some sort because i'm sure they would get a concession due to their charitable nature.

it's a great idea.

Tabitha said:
Do they take M&P? How does that work when they rebatch? It just gets added into the CP and the commercial?

Yes, they will take any kind of soap, CP or MP.

Well I've got my fuglies boxed up and ready to send :) Doesn't really worry me sending them half way around the world because I send soap to my Mother all the time over there anyways and it always gets through without a fuss and it's really not that expensive. When you look at what we all have and what we have to give compared to those poor people in Haiti it's really eye opening :)

I spent the day with Clean the Word today, and I just have to tell you guys: WHAT A FANTASTIC GROUP OF PEOPLE.

They were all so positive and nice, it was very laid back but efficient. What we were doing today was processing hotel soaps for shipment to Haiti. They first clean the soaps off in a sanitizing solution, removing anything gross like hairs or dirt or whatever, and put them on trays for the "steamer", the machine they use to sanitize the soaps.

4336623094_01d0b8f204.jpg

4335867405_9f42363c89.jpg

4335877375_8475c79f5e.jpg

Once they process in the sanitizer, they take them out and leave them out to dry.
4336622478_98cdde83d6.jpg

4336622812_c7f13215c7.jpg

4335877047_2c6aba8f7c.jpg

After they are dry, they package all of the soaps that are the same into boxes, seperating the layers with wax paper, until they are full. The full boxes were about 30 pounds.
4336664622_1c231aecbd.jpg

It was such a positive experience there. At one point, one of the co-founders Shawn Seipler came in to say hi and let everyone know how much he appreciated everyone. They think that the "boutique" soaps (like we make) are fantastic. They can't believe what they get in and are amazed that we are able to make soap smell like chocolate and coffee.

All in all- it was very uplifting to help out, and I can't wait to go back.

I haven't been on here in a while and I just found this thread.
What a fabulous idea. I'm going to post it on my natural parenting support group forum, as well as send the info to friends and family.
Thanks for getting all the info and posting!

they were just written up in the Natural Awakenings Orlando Edition!! cooool!!!! :)

Id love to go volunteer with them too! :)

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. I sent 15 pounds of soap to them for Haiti. It's nice to see the process. What a cool way to get rid of the duds and do something good for those who need it.

This may be a nice operation, but I mailed about a thirty pound box of soap to them and it sat unclaimed only to be returned to me dAmaged so that I could not donate it anywhere else. I wrote to them and never received a reply. I can't afford to waste that sort of postage and product.

jarvan said:
This may be a nice operation, but I mailed about a thirty pound box of soap to them and it sat unclaimed only to be returned to me dAmaged so that I could not donate it anywhere else. I wrote to them and never received a reply. I can't afford to waste that sort of postage and product.

They did move fairly recently, maybe it was sent to the old address? After meeting them, I just can't believe they would ignore it.

How do they know that handmade soap they received is of good quality? My soap-to-be-rebatched is sometimes lye-heavy, so I need to rebatch with more oils to correct it. I would never share out lye-heavy soap.

tasha said:
What is the new address then?
Donate Soap & Shampoo

If you are an individual and you have soap you would like to donate you can bring it to our Recycling Operations Center in Orlando.

Clean The World
8026 Sunport Drive, Ste 306
Orlando, FL. 32809

If you are a hotel, motel bed & breakfast or company that would like to donate soap and/or shampoo, please call:

Paul Till - Managing Director
1+ 407-404-0379
[email protected].

What an incredible thing for them to do! I have a friend who does medical mission work in Nicaragua, and she collects hotel soaps/shampoos to give out to people visiting her clinic. She'll still get those, but I'm happy to send all my fuglies to Clean The World. What they're doing is incredible, and so full of compassion and humanitarian goodness!! I love it!! :wink:

Soap can be naked. None of the soaps I saw had labels at all. They take any and all. If they can't sterilize and re-use it, they will rebatch it.

I can't wait to get my scraps and uglies boxed up!!! What a great cause! I have a TON of hotel soaps too; my step dad was a truck driver and "collected" them all the time. He gave me a whole box of hotel soaps to re-batch, but I never got around to it.... now someone else can do it AND help people in need!

madpiano said:
I don't understand why they don't just ship NaOH over and show the locals how to make soap ???

Does it make sense to ship soap half way round the world ? I am sure they have coconut-oil in Haiti and Animal fats ?

Or maybe even start a factory to produce KOH / NaOH from local wood ash ?

I wouldn't mind shipping my fugly soap (land travel doesn't cost that much, just takes ages), but it would be nice to see something happening locally so that people can start supporting themselves.

I have an opportunity to go to the DR and teach Haitian women to make soap. Working out the details now.. I don't think you'd want to go to Haiti now with the cholera outbreak, etc.

Back