WSP - Abalone & Sea + Sweet Bay Rose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was my first time trying both of these fragrances.

The Abalone & Sea behaved perfectly, I should have gone just a bit darker on the colors I think, but overall I'm happy with it.

The Sweet Bay Rose - accelerated like a race car! UGGH. The plan here was to scent the white and then do a drop swirl/ hanger swirl thoughout. Well I got the white batter into the mold and by the time I grabbed the cups with color the white was pretty much SOLID, so I ended up just pouring the colors on top and swirling them together! Again, not what I planned, but it came out ok I think :)

abalonesea.jpg

bayrose.jpg

Those are lovely! I especially love the Abalone and Sea's soft colors with the bit of brown - it really suits what I imagine the FO smells like.

ok I KNOW what abalone smells like and I would never ever ever want that smell in a soap! Think garden snail meets fish slime.

I think I just discovered my problem with these scents ("kelp" "sea" "ocean") People have a poetic sense of what they would smell like in an alternate universe where there wasn't that iodine briny brackish smell (which I quite like and was in fact expecting).

Back on track - they are both beautiful! And the one with pink - I think I actually like that better than if you had swirled it as planned, its quite abstract and original.

Last edited:
I prefer my idealized fiction of fresh sea air instead of the horrid realty of Texas gulf cost I mainly grew up with - rotting seaweed & old beer cans in the hot sun (no thanks!). That said, the sea off of Mississippi smells perfectly briney in my childhood memories. The pacific ocean is just divine smelling unless you find an unfortunate sea lion.

Those soaps are just beautiful Rhonda! Both of the scents sound just lovely! I love the swirls of the Abalone & Sea and the Sweet Bay Rose is just as beautiful! If you told no one about your soap accelerating, they would think you had done this on purpose. I just love a soap that has "empty space" at the bottom and swirls at the top. Beautiful! :)

Last edited:
I really like the soft colors! I think they both look great! I never would have tried those two fragrances. Can you describe those scents? The names are intriguing.

I really like the soft colors! I think they both look great! I never would have tried those two fragrances. Can you describe those scents? The names are intriguing.

This is what WSP says about these fragrances...and honestly I don't think I could describe them better, they're pretty much as described.

Abalone & Sea : A fresh ocean scent with notes of daylily, sea spray, watery florals and musk. - It's definitely a light, clean scent, not too flowery and not too heavy.

Sweet Bay Rose : A blend of bay leaves, rose, eucalyptus and basil - If it were me, I'd list rose last, I don't pick up much rose scent in it really, but it's just enough to soften the other scents and bring them all together.

Latest posts

Back