What Do You Like About Salt Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test it. It might be ok. But it is just not worth the risk in soap. It is really lethally sharp in soap and can draw blood.
I'm hoping it is. I gave most away last Christmas to family and told them to report to me but most haven't used theirs haha. I have to check the other batch I made with it, the one when I ran out of regular salt. I'll report back. Thanks again :)

When talking to my daughter recently about the salt bars I'd sent her, she commented that she'd had to unclog the bathroom sink less often since using the salt bar at the sink. Using the salt bar was the only different thing she'd been doing. Prior to that, she was using just a normal bar of my homemade soap. Has anyone else experienced this?

When talking to my daughter recently about the salt bars I'd sent her, she commented that she'd had to unclog the bathroom sink less often since using the salt bar at the sink. Using the salt bar was the only different thing she'd been doing. Prior to that, she was using just a normal bar of my homemade soap. Has anyone else experienced this?
No I haven’t, sorry.
I used to have a problem with soap scum so I use citric acid in all of my soap which prevents/greatly reduces it.

Have never had any clogging issues with my soaps. I have just begun using citric acid after learning of its many benefits.

I have been on a salt "tear" lately and last night I made another batch with the attached recipe from The Spruce Crafts.

Because I had recently received indigo crystals (Jacard from Dharma Trading) and in The Nerdy Housewife (?) book she showed Indigo morphing into a beautiful purplely color, I decided to add indigo infused in aloe juice to to my additional liquid, which in this case was aloe juice (I MB my lye, so added liquid needed to reach lye concentration)

I used 75% salt per oil weight.

This puppy took FOREVER to trace, and even this AM when I cut it was really really soft (hard enough to stay in a loaf and slide out of my mold, but soft enough to deform with a prodding finger.

Was this an adverse reaction to Indigo? Prior to making this I made a non-salt batch with the same indigo and it hardened beautifully.

I will put this away on the "at least six month" shelf

Any thoughts as to what went amiss?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 05.47.57.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 05.47.57.png
    111 KB · Views: 39
Yep waiting overnight would require a saw. I cut my 100% salt bars within 45-60 minutes. Usually the 45 min mark is what works for my recipe. In my opinion there is nothing better than a 2-3 yr old 100% salt bar. I have one that I use once in awhile that is 5 yrs old. I don't want it to go away so I don't use if often

2-3 years? 5yrs? Wow!! That is old....lol. How do you manage to be sooo patient?

I have been on a salt "tear" lately and last night I made another batch with the attached recipe from The Spruce Crafts.

Because I had recently received indigo crystals (Jacard from Dharma Trading) and in The Nerdy Housewife (?) book she showed Indigo morphing into a beautiful purplely color, I decided to add indigo infused in aloe juice to to my additional liquid, which in this case was aloe juice (I MB my lye, so added liquid needed to reach lye concentration)

I used 75% salt per oil weight.

This puppy took FOREVER to trace, and even this AM when I cut it was really really soft (hard enough to stay in a loaf and slide out of my mold, but soft enough to deform with a prodding finger.

Was this an adverse reaction to Indigo? Prior to making this I made a non-salt batch with the same indigo and it hardened beautifully.

I will put this away on the "at least six month" shelf

Any thoughts as to what went amiss?
What was your lye concentration?

That's an odd recipe for salt soap. I would think palm would affect the lather some. All the salt soaps I've made over the years have at least 80% CO and only 15% other, generally avocado and a bit of castor. Interesting to see how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back