a delayed thank you

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone will appreciate this story without knowing the players but I'll share anyway! Two weeks ago, I went to a work party and gave my boss a gift bag of soaps, lotion bars, and lip balms. I gave it to her and truly did not give it a second thought and went on with my life. Today she calls me and said she had to tell me her home/family life saga and why she didn't thank me promptly. She brought the bag home and put it on the counter. Then it disappeared and she forgot about it because it was out of sight, out of mind.

Then she tells me her 6 year old daughter has a rare genetic skin disorder and has been using special bath and body products since birth. Today my boss was cleaning out her daughter's backpack and starts pulling out products and asked her daughter where did she get all this stuff? Daughter said I found my present in the blue bag, it was on the counter! She particularly liked the little tins of lotion bars. My boss took a closer look at the labels and saw my name. She asked her daughter if there was a card? Daughter said yeah but it had that fancy writing (aka cursive) so I just tossed it. My boss found my card behind her bed.

At this point I am laughing so hard and wiping tears away. I love this vision of this little pistol just owning "her present." My boss was mortified she didn't thank me earlier and I assured her that I didn't give it a second thought until she called -- and now I have a funny story!

Speaking of eating gifts. One Christmas I gave all the neighbor dogs homemade baked dog treats. One neighbor's preschooler twins got into the bag first and started eating and complaining about the awful cookies and so the parents also took bites and spit it out. Our neighbors thought, hmm, that's odd, Mrs. Zing is a talented baker, this just isn't like her at all. Then they read the gift tag marked To: Bingo! We've laughed about that for years.

I made chocolate coloured and scented rabbit soaps one year, gave to 3 ladies from my crochet group I use to go to. I said to everyone don't eat it, it's soap. One lady came in late so gave her, hers and told her all this, with all the hellos etc. she just said thank you and put them in her bag. I found out later she went shopping and it was late and hadn't eaten, so remembered what I gave her, still in her bag, took a bite and thought what horrible chocolate. She phoned one of the other ladies that I gave the soap to and said what she did and it tasted awful. The lady on the phone just couldn't stop laughing and told her it was soap.
I heard the story later and when I saw her said, I did tell you not to eat it, that it's soap. She said I didn't hear that bit.

Forgot to mention, she threw them out. I said why did you do that, because they tasted bad. I said, it's soap, you don't eat it, you wash with it. She still insisted it tasted bad. I told her she wouldn't get any more soap from me, her- but it tasted bad. Maybe soap should be edible, even though it's soap. I wonder if she buys washable chocolates.

I made chocolate coloured and scented rabbit soaps one year, gave to 3 ladies from my crochet group I use to go to. I said to everyone don't eat it, it's soap. One lady came in late so gave her, hers and told her all this, with all the hellos etc. she just said thank you and put them in her bag. I found out later she went shopping and it was late and hadn't eaten, so remembered what I gave her, still in her bag, took a bite and thought what horrible chocolate. She phoned one of the other ladies that I gave the soap to and said what she did and it tasted awful. The lady on the phone just couldn't stop laughing and told her it was soap.
I heard the story later and when I saw her said, I did tell you not to eat it, that it's soap. She said I didn't hear that bit.

Forgot to mention, she threw them out. I said why did you do that, because they tasted bad. I said, it's soap, you don't eat it, you wash with it. She still insisted it tasted bad. I told she wouldn't get any more soap from me, her- but it tasted bad. Maybe soap should be edible, even though it's soap. I wonder if she buys washable chocolates.
LMAO!!

Forgot to mention, she threw them out. I said why did you do that, because they tasted bad. I said, it's soap, you don't eat it, you wash with it. She still insisted it tasted bad. I told her she wouldn't get any more soap from me, her- but it tasted bad. Maybe soap should be edible, even though it's soap. I wonder if she buys washable chocolates.
I put on my soap labels “this is not food, do not eat”. As a joke….I thought!

What a neat story. I'm glad the daughter liked it and the boss found out.

Just wow. 😁😁😁

I put on my soap labels “this is not food, do not eat”. As a joke….I thought!
There was no label, I gave them to friends as a gift, I wouldn't label a birthday gift to a friend, so no need to label these when I told them face to face, I put them in a cellophane bag with a bow and handed it to them, not wrapped, you could see it in there.The other two didn't eat it. Next time she might listen, but won't get soap from me.

Speaking of thinking soap is chocolate. This happened to my good friend, too. She LOVES chocolate and took a a bite of chocolate colored soap…Eek! We still tease her about it.
Looks like others don't look at what they are eating.

Last edited:
Speaking of eating gifts. One Christmas I gave all the neighbor dogs homemade baked dog treats. One neighbor's preschooler twins got into the bag first and started eating and complaining about the awful cookies and so the parents also took bites and spit it out. Our neighbors thought, hmm, that's odd, Mrs. Zing is a talented baker, this just isn't like her at all. Then they read the gift tag marked To: Bingo! We've laughed about that for years.
That's hilarious! I dehydrated some rabbit livers for dog treats and my 10-year-old son ate half the package, thinking it was jerky! He said it was pretty good, until he found out what it was.

And on the soap theme, after I put a bar of chocolate peppermint soap in circulation, my 3-year-old came out of the bathroom and said, "Mother, the bubbles taste TERRIBLE!"

Poor children!

I don't know if anyone will appreciate this story without knowing the players but I'll share anyway! Two weeks ago, I went to a work party and gave my boss a gift bag of soaps, lotion bars, and lip balms. I gave it to her and truly did not give it a second thought and went on with my life. Today she calls me and said she had to tell me her home/family life saga and why she didn't thank me promptly. She brought the bag home and put it on the counter. Then it disappeared and she forgot about it because it was out of sight, out of mind.

Then she tells me her 6 year old daughter has a rare genetic skin disorder and has been using special bath and body products since birth. Today my boss was cleaning out her daughter's backpack and starts pulling out products and asked her daughter where did she get all this stuff? Daughter said I found my present in the blue bag, it was on the counter! She particularly liked the little tins of lotion bars. My boss took a closer look at the labels and saw my name. She asked her daughter if there was a card? Daughter said yeah but it had that fancy writing (aka cursive) so I just tossed it. My boss found my card behind her bed.

At this point I am laughing so hard and wiping tears away. I love this vision of this little pistol just owning "her present." My boss was mortified she didn't thank me earlier and I assured her that I didn't give it a second thought until she called -- and now I have a funny story!
That's adorable! I wonder how your homemade products did for her daughter's skin disorder 🤔
Such a sweet story though! So glad she shared it with you! 🥰

'Some people you just can't reach...':shakinghead:

Latest posts

Back