What Do You Like About Salt Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone share a good dog soap recipe? I am not looking to “cure” anything or alleviate any problems but would like to make a nice, good-smelling soap that is safe for dogs. Many thanks!

You may want to start a new thread. This thread is on salt bars. Likely to get helpful information.

Given the necessary high amount of available coconut oil & high SF in salt bars; any issues clogging pores for those with acne prone skin? Based on numbers it seems it's highly possible...maybe the salt offsets that?

Given the necessary high amount of available coconut oil & high SF in salt bars; any issues clogging pores for those with acne prone skin? Based on numbers it seems it's highly possible...maybe the salt offsets that?

No, not that I’ve noticed. My daughters and myself have been using them for years. They have actually helped clear mine and my daughters skin. I think it’s the combination of the soap itself and the salt. Of course there will be exceptions. Not everything works for everyone. I only ise them 1-2 times a week now as my skin is getting drier as I close in to 60. But my girls still use them 2-3 times a week.

Straight olive oil on my non-acne prone skin seems to result in breakouts. Coconut oil does not. The CO salt bars at 20% SF don't strip my skin or cause break outs.

Last edited:
No, not that I’ve noticed. My daughters and myself have been using them for years. They have actually helped clear mine and my daughters skin. I think it’s the combination of the soap itself and the salt. Of course there will be exceptions. Not everything works for everyone. I only ise them 1-2 times a week now as my skin is getting drier as I close in to 60. But my girls still use them 2-3 times a week.
Thanks!

I've just used my Pink Grapefruit and Sea Salt bar for the first time today. It's just a baby - only 3 weeks since making but I broke a bar so thought I'd try it for hand soap. It DOES feel nice! Good lather and clean feeling afterwards, but not too dry.
Here's the recipe I used:
Coconut Oil: 75%
Apricot Kernel Oil: 10%
Canola Oil: 10%
Castor Oil: 5%
Superfat 15%
Lye Concentration 30%
Fine sea salt: 50% of oil weight
EOs: Pink grapefruit and May Chang
View attachment 34225

I love the look and size of your bars? What are the dimensions? And size in oz. I’m looking for that perfect boxy size soap and I loveeeee yours.

Last edited:
What SF did you use?
5% SF - it’s been curing for a bit now and it seems to hold lather pretty well....will have to see how it does at the 6 month mark. I haven’t made any more salt soaps until I see how this one does post cure.

5% SF - it’s been curing for a bit now and it seems to hold lather pretty well....will have to see how it does at the 6 month mark. I haven’t made any more salt soaps until I see how this one does post cure.

I use 80% CO and a 17% SF I let them cure for a year, sometimes more. I make them 3-4 times a year so I always have at least a dozen ready. Its easy to let them cure a long time when you make them often I find. I never used to be able to not use them lol - report back!!

I too use 80% CO and cure them a long time. Anything less I find they are just meh. Not much lather and not as creamy. I also SF at 17% and use 35-45% salt. Sometimes a bit more.

I too use 80% CO and cure them a long time. Anything less I find they are just meh. Not much lather and not as creamy. I also SF at 17% and use 35-45% salt. Sometimes a bit more.

I used 50% salt in the last 2 batches. I did finally make a batch using the powdered salt. And one with the fine grain. I love them both! If you want I'll send you one with the powdered salt if you haven't tried it yet. :)

Of the two methods
  • salt bar
  • soleseife
I prefer soleseife: long lasting, silky bubbles, nice "slip" with water, better texture

Having said that - I like a nice salt bar on my feets!

I love soleseife as well. I also let them cure a really long time. I have some that are 2 years old!! Salt bars that are about the same age. I make a lot and often so they are always aged and have some ready. I see ppl make them and sell right away. I dont understand that thinking.

Last edited:
I used 50% salt in the last 2 batches. I did finally make a batch using the powdered salt. And one with the fine grain. I love them both! If you want I'll send you one with the powdered salt if you haven't tried it yet. :)
You are so kind. I've not seen powdered salt. I bet it's an awesome bar. Thank you!!

Last edited:
I played around with this last night (but did not soap it yet)

put some kosher sea salt into a tall narrow pitcher, and then SB the bejeezus out of it - shaking it as well so that I would get movement top to bottom in the soap. It got very powdery - I wonder if this is similar to what you bought?

I love soleseife as well. I also let them cure a really long time. I have some that are 2 years old!! Salt bars that are about the same age. I make a lot and often so they are always aged and have some ready. I see ppl make them and sell right away. I dont understand that thinking.
Perhaps some people like the bars a bit softer than those that are fully cured. No accounting for what folks prefer. That is what makes us so interesting (and also helps explain why we don’t just all use the same brand of soap)!

Back