What Do You Like About Salt Bars?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by JasmineTea, Dec 17, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 11, 2019 #141

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

The soap itself offsets that. Superfat in soap isn't the same as putting the fat straight on your skin. Most of the superfat in soap doesn't remain on the skin; it's emulsified by the soap so the fat rinses off. The high superfat used in a high coconut oil soap is "sacrificial" in that the soap emulsifies this superfat rather than strip the natural fats from your skin.

Dawni likes this.
  2. Feb 11, 2019 #142

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Yes. I love my salt bars starting at 4 weeks. I tried one that was like 5 months or so and was not blown away. I still loved it cause i love my salt bars but it wasnt as amazing as i thought it would be

3. Feb 11, 2019 #143

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

@Alfa_Lazcares It is worth keeping one to try again at 12months and 18months ... you may be pleasantly surprised at the difference :)

cmzaha likes this.
  4. Feb 11, 2019 #144

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

Have some that are 3 years on the basement bathroom sink. More like a cleansing cream than a lather now . Could be mistaken for shaving soap.
    I use that bathroom when I come in from the woods or garden rather well soiled.
    Love salt bars at 100 salt by weight of oils.
    And you can even swirl them.
    Just don't wait too long to cut them. My first batch I waited overnight and had to use a saw.

cmzaha, Nanette and redhead1226 like this.
  5. Feb 11, 2019 #145

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

I can not describe the texture. But it’s like silk. I’m not sure you can replicate it. But you can try.

6. Feb 11, 2019 #146

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

Salt bars are never soft at any stage. So I’m not sure about what you are saying. The salt is the hardening agent.

7. Feb 11, 2019 #147

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Yep waiting overnight would require a saw. I cut my 100% salt bars within 45-60 minutes. Usually the 45 min mark is what works for my recipe. In my opinion there is nothing better than a 2-3 yr old 100% salt bar. I have one that I use once in awhile that is 5 yrs old. I don't want it to go away so I don't use if often

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    smengot0, Steve85569 and redhead1226 like this.
  8. Mar 2, 2019 #148

christina rogers

christina rogers

christina rogers

So I have an obsession with soleseife bars but can you help?

I’ve done 15% brine
    And another recipe (lovin soap) has 20% but a ton of water

How much water do I need for 20% brine?

I hear salt can be 25% of water, but do I take out the water for the lye first
    (As in extra water for the lye, plus a 20-25%salt /75% water solution?)

From what I heard: if I don’t have enough water, the lye won’t incorporate correctly
    and will be lye heavy

I’ve done soaps for about 3+ years and just found the brine soaps ❤️

*lastly: is it possible to do goats milk brine soap with high coconut? Or does it get too hot too quick?

smengot0 likes this.
  9. Mar 2, 2019 #149

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I've done 25% brine before and it worked fine at 2:1 for me. Just make sure your salt is dissolved completely and strain before adding your lye. I think that answers your other question too?

The most recent soleseife I did had an unmeasured amount of saturated salt in the water. I put salt in a bottle, about 1/4 of it and filled the bottle with water and let it sit about a day, shaking every now n then until the water could hold no more salt. I strained out what remained and measured what the calculator gave me BUT I took out about 20 grams and replaced that with plain water and mixed and strained again, just to make sure. Almost nothing was left btw.

I'm gonna try with no plain water replacement next time. This soap also had coconut milk powder stick blended into the oils.

I haven't tested this one though.. But I have a good feeling about it lol I hope that helps you some?

smengot0 and KiwiSoap like this.
  10. Mar 2, 2019 #150

christina rogers

christina rogers

christina rogers

Thank you :)
    That is very helpful

I don’t know where I heard the lye would leach out, or not saponify, but that was my hurdle

These brine bars are my new best friend, lol. I’d like to increase the salt and see where it goes

Thank you again ❤️

11. Mar 2, 2019 #151

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I actually add in any undissolved salt when I make soleseif bars as long as I have not used Himalayan Salt for my brine

Dawni likes this.
  12. Mar 2, 2019 #152

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Ah yes! The 25% brine used Himalayan pink so I strained it to prevent it from scratching, and the saturated brine was my first time so I wanted to make sure I did not have undissolved lye (because I wasn't sure how much more my water could dissolve).

13. Mar 5, 2019 #153

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

Hi all. So, I read this thread about 6 weeks ago and since I was early in my soaping journey, I apparently absorbed about 15% of what I read!

Having just gone over this again, I have now twigged to the use of HIGH levels of CO. I definitely did not get that first time around. I also failed to grasp the high level of SF!

I am going to make some new batches using the 80/20 advice (80 CO/ 20 other for a bit of experimentation) but first I must wait for my powdered sea salt (thank you @redhead1226 - I was able to locate salt works).

For those of you familiar with @Zany_in_CO “no slime Castile” would her faux sea water be suitable to use as the additional water (I use a 50% concentration master batch lye).

Here is a link to @Zany_in_CO ’s recipe: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. I see now I must go back and re-read a good bit of what I “thought”I learned! lol

14. Mar 5, 2019 #154

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

@Clarice you probably won't need the faux seawater since you're using a high percentage of coconut oil although there's no harm in trying, but I suspect the soap will give you a harder time n thicken up really quick.

But maybe if you're only going to use it for the remaining liquid added to your masterbatched lye, it could prove to be ok.

That is best with 100% olive or as Dean tried it, 100% sweet almond oil, or a combination of other oils, especially if you have all or mostly soft oils. It helps harden and prevent slime.

Clarice likes this.
  15. Mar 5, 2019 #155

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

One more thing to like about salt bars....

SB-1.jpg

Mixing was started two and a half hours before the pictures were taken.
    Recipe:
    100 % coconut oil
    100% salt ( by weight of oil)
    2.5 : 1 water to alkali ratio (high water)
    Drop swirl.

cmzaha, dibbles and Dawni like this.
  16. Mar 5, 2019 #156

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

Ok - so I made two batches of salt soap today - both 500 grams

A: 80% CO / 20% AO / 70% salt / MB Lye + additional liquid / 18% SF
    B: 80% CO / 20% HOSO / 35% salt / MB Lye + additional liquid / 18% SF

Salt was "sea salt" purchased at local grocery; it was rather coarse, so I used a SB to pulse through it and get it quite fine
    I masterbatch lye at 1:1 and when additional water was added there was no significant temp rise.

Both recipes are in SMF under my user name boonmah

I melted the CO, over a water bath, removed when there were a few tiny chunks left and allowed to melt the rest of the way. I then added the second oil, used SB to incorporate lye, when thoroughly emulsified - but before light trace - I added salt - SB a bit more, then poured into individual molds - that was about three hours ago. As of writing the soap is still very liquid.

I had done a salt bar once before (albeit not with CO) and it traced so fast and so hard that it spooked me. That may well have influenced how I treated this batch.

Here are my Qs:

Should I have SB longer - i.e., to a light trace before adding salt?

Does CO take a LOT longer than OO to reach trace?

Like @Zany_in_CO 's no-slime-castile, will this "come together" if I just leave it ALONE for a couple of days?

Any suggestions you have to improve my technique?

THANK YOU!!!!!

17. Mar 5, 2019 #157

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Dawni
    It is best not to use Himalayan salt in soap. Even if you dissolve it it can recrystallise as sharp scratchy bits in your soap.
    Use plain cooking salt, canning salt or sea salt.

cmzaha and Dawni like this.
  18. Mar 5, 2019 #158

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I take mine to light trace because the salt stays in suspension through the bar if I do that. Yours will still make soap.
    It is great to be able to recognise emulsion it is a good stage to mix in colours etc.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  19. Mar 5, 2019 #159

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Ack! I didn't realize it would crystallize again even in brine soap. Thank you.. Good thing my soaps sre for home use. I'll keep those as mine and always use a loofah lol

20. Mar 5, 2019 #160

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Test it. It might be ok. But it is just not worth the risk in soap. It is really lethally sharp in soap and can draw blood.

cmzaha likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted