What Do You Like About Salt Bars?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by JasmineTea, Dec 17, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2019 #201

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I am still undecided on salt bars. I made bar last year that I took with me to Hawaii while it was still pretty young and felt it was too drying to my skin, even with the high humidity in Hawaii. I plan to bring one of those bars with me on our trip in July, so it will be over a year old, and I can make a better assessment of how my skin reacts to it in the same conditions. I'll try it here at home as well. That's a 100% CO salt bar. I have not tried it much since using up that first bar because they require such a long cure, though.

2. Mar 31, 2019 #202

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

You might like the soap much better now, @earlene. My reaction was the same as yours -- my recent batch of salt soap was too harsh at first, but it's MUCH better now that it's a little older. I didn't expect that, frankly, but the salt bar experts are correct -- a generous cure time is important for this type of soap to be at its best.

Nanette likes this.
  3. Mar 31, 2019 #203

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

:thumbs::thumbs: It really is not advised to use medium salt and you really should not use it if selling. Medium salt can lacerate the skin no matter what some say. Salt water is a natural exfoliant without out having rough salt. If you want added exfoliation in a salt bar use oatmeal or your exfoliant of choice. Lacerations can be severe and unlike some say the salt does not melt when using the salt bar. I know some will dispute this but I have made salt bars since I started making soap trying all types and extra fine to medium salt. The medium was disaster.

ETA: I use a 17% superfat, 80% CO, 1% sorbitol, 100% salt with a 1 yr cure and the bars are wonderful

DeeAnna likes this.