What do we think about this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sad thing is that people like this are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us. I wonder if she is doing nothing but MP and not CP? I would have said something to her about her claims....but I tend to speak up when I see something like this.
Right on, Retropixie! Just looking at the picture posted I just about choked--by claiming that hers is the ONLY company making "synthetic-free" skincare products (and I don't even know where to begin with that choice of words), she's implying that everyone else is just gleefully tearing open boxes delivered from Monsanto HQ and pouring "synthetics" into their soaps, no doubt while rubbing their hands together and cackling, and probably not even in a solar/wind powered yurt but in some house (ew!) that is powered by electricity (fascists!).

We are all doing this to succeed--in giving ourselves, friends and family a great bathing experience and being kind to their skin; or in having a nice little business that does good in the world. I'd like to believe that while we wish for own own success, we do not wish for others to fail, but that's the result of making such a claim. So much for hippie-dippy love and peace and sunshine. All the Ren Faire flower wreaths in the world can't make up for the fact that you just dissed me and the hobby I love so much.

Perusing their FAQ, though, is a delight. She explains how to bathe. She creates a fascinating false dichotomy between "fresh" soap and its natural opposite, "stale" soap. (!!!) But I have to give her props for clever marketing: sell fast-melting barely-cured soaps, promise people they'll last 4 to 6 weeks, whereupon they'll need another bar. Why have I been waiting until my soaps are cured, mild, and gentle when I could just tell customers they won't last long and they'll have to come back for more?

I know some people feel bad about 'dissing' another company, but this is just obscene. Some of the claims and comments are total lies - that's not marketing, it's just plain ignorance (in which case they should not be running a business) or they are willfully misleading people (in which case they should enter politics). Either way, it's bad news.

It's an interesting case for those who are anti-regulation who say that the market will correct itself and bad practices/soap makes will go out of business.........

It's an interesting case for those who are anti-regulation who say that the market will correct itself and bad practices/soap makes will go out of business.........

If this were a big company, I might (probably not but might) be with you. As it is they have 2 stores and frankly we do not know the finances of the stores. Did she take out a big loan and open the stores together? Is she independently wealthy? In which case the stores could be failing and still stay open. I'm willing to bet this store will not succeed to become a national icon, or even make it to the stock exchange.

If this were a big company, I might (probably not but might) be with you. As it is they have 2 stores and frankly we do not know the finances of the stores. Did she take out a big loan and open the stores together? Is she independently wealthy? In which case the stores could be failing and still stay open. I'm willing to bet this store will not succeed to become a national icon, or even make it to the stock exchange.

I meant that it is one to watch - does it tank or do a good amount of business to stay afloat or even expand a great deal? Would be a living example of the theory, although of course just one example.

Yeah, but is it OK that I use the lye beetle's essence to make my soap instead? I mean, it's not vegan or anything, but with the infestation of lye beetles in the garden, it's sure cheaper...

:)

But seriously. I find a lot of claims people make kind of funny. Or they would be funny if they weren't so sad. Apparently I'm shorting my gift recipients by aging my high olive soaps for eight to nine months before giving them away. Seriously.

Shame on you! Those poor gift recipients, getting "stale" soap that is hard and mild and lasts long. What the heck are you thinking? You shouldn't be giving out such products.

I have to admit, when I see stuff like this I am really tempted to email the business/shop and say: "Please note that almost all of your advertising is illegal/sanctionable under current FDA requirements, and could result in, among other things, prosecution/fines/product confiscation/business closure. As well as misleading consumers, such advertising is damaging to the hand-made soaping industry, and other responsible soap-makers/sellers who are willing to comply with relevant regulations. Sincerely, not_ally, Esq."

And then I come to my senses :)

I was looking for the "like" button on this post and realized duh! Lol I didn't realize there was no like buttons on the SMF threads as there are on other tapatalk forums.

Either way I like your idea! Tempting I'm sure.

Here I am, a brand new soaper, researching like a mad woman and worrying about all the little things involved in just making soap safe enough for *giving* it away, and people like this are out there doing stuff like that? These folks must have either no conscience or no concern for their customers (likely both) because they are obviously all about making money, not producing a high quality product and having artisan integrity.

Now, now, I think we are all lacking a generosity of spirit with this one... Aren't we all aware of the tremendous overhead of making magical products in alternative energy yurts?

Before this shop came along, I exclusively sourced my beauty products from cave homes powered by dogs on treadmills. Then the shop exclusively selling teepee-made B&B powered by thermal vents opened up and I had another option. Now I hear about this exciting new shop! Thanks for sharing! A girl likes to have options.

Lmfao I just spit iced tea on my kindle Hahahahaha

Gigi, just keep doing what you are doing, it is the best way for both gifting and selling. Plus the research and work are so much fun, they are the best way to learn. The folks that don't do it are not just doing their customers a disservice and probably making bad soap - or soap that is not as good as it could be - they are missing out on a lot. Although that woman just seems bat&(* crazy.

There is a like button on the bottom of each post, it is in pretty teeny letters, though!

Gigi, just keep doing what you are doing, it is the best way for both gifting and selling. Plus the research and work are so much fun, they are the best way to learn. The folks that don't do it are not just doing their customers a disservice and probably making bad soap - or soap that is not as good as it could be - they are missing out on a lot. Although that woman just seems bat&(* crazy.

There is a like button on the bottom of each post, it is in pretty teeny letters, though!

Ally thanks for the encouragement and I agree with the batshoop crazy lol. I'm enjoying the research very much (my geek side loves the technical stuff lol) ... and what little button? I'm in tapatalk on kindle fire, maybe I don't see a little button cuz I'm not on the website itself? Dunno

I answered my own question lol it's on the website but not on tapatalk :)

I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I at least won't start a new thread, but I am annoyed. Regarding "fresh" soap, she is not alone. I went to the Sterling Renaissance Festival yesterday and a vendor was purposely selling un-cured soap, with directions on the wrapping to let the soap sit until it doesn't feel spongey anymore. Ugh!
I guess I appreciate keeping the costumer informed, but a lamen is not going to understand why they shouldn't use the soap right away and we all know how good people are at following directions anyway...

I was selling yesterday and one of the vendors had "fresh" soaps. So fresh it smashed in my hand, just from picking it up.

Then there was a conversation about how not all aqueous products need a preservative.

That's when I tuned out.

Last edited:
MY god! I worry about telling my family and friends that my soap is moisturizing, and I am not even selling it too them. I have actually had an argument with my sister who gave a bar to a friend of hers to help when she had an exzema(sp?) patch that would not go away. My sister said "here try my sister's soap, it will get rid of it". I pulled my well meaning sis aside and chewed her out for phrasing it that way. I told her next time just say "here try this soap, maybe a different kind of soap will help". I am really paranoid about this stuff. I do want too start selling in a few months and I read, read, read about labeling. I am assuming if you cannot put it on a label you should not be saying it either. My friends and family are the ones who end up telling me how it helps their skin and ask for more. Business should be the same way, you let your product speak for itself.
Her store is is like driving by a Liquer store and it has a sign saying Fresh Wine, Whiskey and Cheese. Made yesterday!!!

Good for you, houseofwool! Obviously good product speaks for itself.

Dana, I've had a friend do the exact same thing and I was traumatized. I guess we shouldn't be, as we can't be held responsible for what others say about our products.

Latest posts

Back