First Craft Market - the Debriefing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen people do a display shelf with one unwrapped bar of each (labeled on the shelf) and then the extra sellables were kept in totes under the table...
People really like to see a nice selection of product, and in my opinion if you have to stoop down and dig through a bucket to get their soap you take a chance of losing the customer. It is so better to keep eye contact with the potential customer at all times, and not stooping down under a table, plus you are able to acknowledge any new potential customer who looks your way or comes up to the table. You cannot do that when your head is stuck under the table. I also find they like to look through the soaps to find the largest, since I weigh and label every soap. It's kinda like "the early bird gets the worm." While all my soaps are close in weight they will vary a few tenths of an ounce. The longer a customer pokes around your display the better chance of a sale or a larger sale. In my humble opinion one unwrapped soap of each scent is not very eye appealing

You are correct Misschief, it would be quite impossible to fill an 8' table with just one bar out

I was thinking of 4 out at a time, refill as they sell.
I have 16 scent right now and a bucket for the misfits.

For me, right now, I only have soaps. I like a clean uncluttered look with space.

I saw somewhere a table that had about 40 soaps on it, all just one scent each. Gah it's going to kill me trying to remember where I saw it. It was online.
I must say it was just overload and if busy how to you get out all that a customer wants? If there are people waiting they will leave.

For me, right now, I only have soaps. I like a clean uncluttered look with space.

I saw somewhere a table that had about 40 soaps on it, all just one scent each. Gah it's going to kill me trying to remember where I saw it. It was online.
I must say it was just overload and if busy how to you get out all that a customer wants? If there are people waiting they will leave.

I had a basket of soaps I called the Naughty Bin... soaps that didn't quite measure up, some that were older and the scent was gone.. that kind of thing. I was selling those at 2 for $5.00. I won't do that again. Of my five sales, two were out of the naughty bin. It might be a good way of getting old soaps gone but I'd rather they buy the "good" stuff.

Good Point !

I have a few batches that were in a smaller mold, not the big mold I will be selling from. Sellers are between 6.4 and 6.7 oz each. The other mold they are only between 5-5.7 oz . They are $1.50 less then the Sellers. maybe I will just keep those for online instead.

I have a bunch of round Salt bars that are between 4-4.5 oz, I was thinking of putting them in the "adoptables" bin for $2 each. They don't have any scent and I will not be selling the round shape.
My first Market this coming Saturday is Free so if I only sell the Adoptables I would ok with that ;) It gets me out there, and my website too. And I get rid of all those rounds ! hahaa

Last edited:
Congratulations Misschief.

I take a min of 40 different fragrances with 6 of each on 2 4' tables that are tiered and each table has 3 levels. I have to tiered tables for my lotions and other products. This was during a holiday season a few years ago, some changes have been made since then
20141217_131114.jpg 20141217_131106.jpg

Somehow I missed replying..... My one friend didn't put the totes out for people to dig through. She had a vertical display that held one bar of each of her scents, she did quite a few so no problem filling the display. It was like a very shallow tilted back bookcase? Her husband made it if I remember right. People would sniff the sampler bars and then she'd fill their order from the totes at her feet. She engaged everyone and never had issues filling orders while they wait (very organized), plus she often had a helper with her. They spent their spare time wrapping soaps (she did the paper wrap thing), very approachable because they were not sitting there on phones or staring at each other. If I remember right, the scents were arranged in categories. If you were standing there looking overwhelmed, she'd ask "do you like fruity scents?" etc and help you narrow it down. A big smile and you didn't mind sniffing away LOL.

Her table cloths went to the ground, you didn't see the totes (table cloths to the ground is the number one advice I'd give LOL). She also had candles and did liquid soap. So halfish was the soap display, then part 3 or 4 candles (again, one of each out and she'd have one lit back in the booth smelling wonderful), then part liquid soap (no samples, the scent was the same as a bar so you'd smell the bar). It looked nice and I bought quite a bit myself! No problem filling an 8 foot table at all between the soap display, business card holder, couple of candles, couple of liquid soaps. Her booth was arranged so the selling table was across the front, not a walk in type.

Last edited:
I display 35-40 fragrances and have 4 of each on display shelves my husband built for me. I restock as needed and always have at least 6 each for restocking. I couldn't imagine having to dig out bars for customers each time they want something. It would be just too time consuming in my opinion. I also carry other items and would be afraid of losing sales because of time. I find my customers want to choose, get their wares and be on their way. But everyone finds what works best for them. No right or wrong way.

So far this is what is looking and look neater to me. Smeller in front and wrapped behind. Then I have the Salt bars on a tray, 2 sizes right now) and discounts on the inside corner.
The 2 walls REALLY help heard them in the correct way.
edit, the shelves are Shoe racks that I stained. About $12 each. They do come apart to be flat but I find that keeping them set up is easier and less frustrating 1st thing in the morning ;)

20180721_075919[1].jpg

I put the more Manly scents and the Lavender/Sage at the front corner. Only because if a Wife brings in the Man, they ALWAYS make them smell things ;) Get the Man hooked and he will let the Wife buy buy buy

;)

This was my table last week. One thing we've noticed is that anything we put at the right front corner seems to sell faster than anything else.

View attachment 31401

Lovely set up! I always take note of what I put in the front and center because that’s my area that sells the most. I think it’s because everyone wants a view of the whole table to sniff everything in their arm’s reach. I can assume that people reach your front right first and pick that up first. I put my swag and business cards there and sampling products to draw people in!

Lovely set up! I always take note of what I put in the front and center because that’s my area that sells the most. I think it’s because everyone wants a view of the whole table to sniff everything in their arm’s reach. I can assume that people reach your front right first and pick that up first. I put my swag and business cards there and sampling products to draw people in!
It's always interesting to see what people are drawn to first. In my case, it's usually the Bubble Scoops which I have at the right corner of my table. I have my newest offerings (the soaps that are new that week) at the center of the table and I usually point out those soaps to anyone who stops to look. That does seem to encourage them to check them out. To this point, my table is in a room off the main hall and I'm between two doors. I put business cards at each side of my table and they're always being picked up.

I'll be adding a few things to my line up this year. That's one nice thing about an artisan market; I have the freedom to make what I want. One good thing about your guidelines is that you have something to go by and you can work within that parameter. Have they specifically said only soap and lotion bars? One thing I'll be adding this year is the solid dish washing soap. That could qualify as an essential household item.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/solid-dish-detergent.74170/#post-757859

Latest posts

Back