What do we think about this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm almost positive the soaps are CP. the back shelves are filled with metal jugs of Pomace olive oil. It's the same brand from Smart and Final that I use when I need pomace (why would she need so much OO if it's not CP, right) She uses individual molds for the soaps and the backside has a fair amount of ash. My daughter talked me into buying a bar of soap there one time because it smelled like chocolate cake. I've never been able to detect the scent of chocolate in my soaps without FO. Even when using melted chocolate and cocoa powder.

whoa whoa whoa, lets not drag the yurts into this.
-boyago (Renewable energy student and aspiring yurt builder)

Also in their our process page they specifically mention Lush in negative light so if anybody wants to drop a dime you could let their corporate lawyers do the heavy lifting.

Sorry, I have no problem with alternative energy or yurts (adorable!). But mentioning yurts when trying to sell folks $$$$ shea is just goofy.

:)

Not ally, would, hypothetically, a group of businesses who do make non synthetic products daily have any case against her for her advertising?

I mean she is trying, and most likely succeeding in taking away business from other legitimate businesses through her false advertising.

Just wondering of course. . . (Curiousity will kill me yet!)

In the FAQ section in response to the question of whether their soap contains lye, they answer 'no' and then correctly explain about the chemical reaction yada, yada, yada.... and then they go on to say that they use food-grade lye, the 'same lye that's used in olives and bagels' (I'd like to point out that lye is not actually used 'in' olives or bagels as if it's a part the 'making' ingredients like flour or yeast are, for example. I'd use a different word than 'in', but I digress).

Anyway, the fact that they say they use food-grade lye implies to me they are making lye-based soap instead of MP, but then under the next question in the FAQs (which inquires about the benefits of using 'fresh soap', as opposed to soap that was 'made months ago'), they make the argument that it's just "common sense" to use herbs and spices when they are "fresh" instead of "stale", and then they go on to make the implication that the herbs and spices used in their soap will be better able to "heal" one's skin or make it "healthier" if the soap is used when fresh, since the herbs and spices are 'more potent' when fresh.

I wonder what they define as being 'fresh soap'?

It's cold process and it's as 'fresh as possible since it needs to sit 4 weeks to cure and complete the process'. From the business
icon_smile.gif

Where did you find that, Jen? I can't seem to find it on their site?

IrishLass :)

Oh yeah, I also just remembered we have a shop similar (not nearly as bad) in the town where I live. No shame here, this is the website:

http://www.soapmakermonica.com/

If they are on here, they should know better anyway. They also say they only use essential oils but have pretty ridiculous fragrances if you ask me. Lets be honest, you cant have vanilla eo and you cant charge $5 for a bar with rose eo (or sandalwood)

Also, that comment about being "as fresh as possible from this company is such bull... What a way to dupe customers...

Last edited:
IrishLass I emailed them. ;) haha.. yeah I couldn't handle my curiosity and found no problem emailing and asking since I could be a potential consumer if/when I make a stop there on one of my vacations. They are near where I go..

You are awesome, Jennee! :clap:

galaxyMLP said:
Also, that comment about being "as fresh as possible from this company is such bull... What a way to dupe customers...

And you are so right, Galaxy!

IrishLass :)

Stacy: Thats the site I just found, myself and I'm just sort of staring at it a lot

I like how they say anyone who doesn't sell 'fresh' soap made that day is some how cheating their customers

Ha! I would never sell my customers "fresh" soap ;)

Not ally, would, hypothetically, a group of businesses who do make non synthetic products daily have any case against her for her advertising?

Dory, IMO, probably not, b/c most causes of action require actual damages. So unless you (or the group) could establish that you were being directly injured, with quantifiable monetary losses, it would be hard to establish a case, ie; you would be deemed to lack "standing" to sue.

It's been a while since I've dealt with any of this stuff, but I believe that both of the CA statutes that spring most readily to mind here - the California Unfair Business Practices Act and the CA Unfair Competition Law - require a private plaintiff (as opposed to the govt) to establish actual injury.

There are some statutes that allow you to get around this, but there is usually some element that kicks in to make it hard to establish a case.

Well I just got another email out of the blue from them so they could address the glycerin part of my question.. And I really just think they believe fresh soap is better.
She said she uses hers the next day to test since she has really sensitive skin but let's it sit a few weeks to dry out and last longer.

Oh and glycerin soap is usually just synthetics.. But it's cold process with synthetics added then hardened into a loaf and sold to be made into a quick soap. The ingredients were put together a really long time ago for the initial soap.

Huh... Not sure what to make of the email.

Last edited:
QUOTE: "And I really just think they believe fresh soap is better.
She said she uses hers the next day to test since she has really sensitive skin but let's it sit a few weeks to dry out and last longer ... it's cold process with synthetics added then hardened into a loaf and sold to be made into a quick soap. The ingredients were put together a really long time ago for the initial soap."

The fact that she really believes it makes it even worse for me, how much does this woman know about making soap? It does make her seem a little less evil, but that still leaves the blatant overcharging issue.

And like you, I have no idea what to make of the weird glycerin/cp brew. She really does seem kind of crazed.

ETA: Boyago, if you are reading, I think Lush and its lawyers would consider this woman to be a gnat on the ass of a rhino in furthest Africa. So many people diss them that I would think they would ignore anything that doesn't actually put a dent in their business.

Last edited:
I let others tell me how it works for them. I have heard of my body butters removing heads of warts. I have heard of people getting them out of depression, and of rashes going away. I even have a serum that is used as a hand lotion. I could hardly believe this one, this woman told me that she had lesions from some kind of scrubs that she uses at work, and one day she decided to try the face serum on her hands and it heal them.

When something works there's no need for hype.:clap:

Yeah, but is it OK that I use the lye beetle's essence to make my soap instead? I mean, it's not vegan or anything, but with the infestation of lye beetles in the garden, it's sure cheaper...

:)

But seriously. I find a lot of claims people make kind of funny. Or they would be funny if they weren't so sad. Apparently I'm shorting my gift recipients by aging my high olive soaps for eight to nine months before giving them away. Seriously.

Latest posts

Back