Well, I bought a...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Reaction score
3d printer! o_O

I was so close to getting a cricut machine... Then I took a step back and thought a bit more. I've been wanting a 3d printer for many many years, whereas I only heard of cricut on this forum recently. Also I have some pretty decent 3d skills, and I think in the long run I'll be able to achieve more with the printer that I couldn't do by just applying extra time and patience.

It'll be a couple of weeks before it arrives, but I'm so psyched! I have a model done up already for a soap stamp with detachable handle, so I can make many different designs without wasting too much filament. Husband has been browsing the online library and there's a bunch of things for the house and animals that he wants to print also.

I can't wait! 😁

Squeeeeee! I'm excited for you! I have one picked out for my hubby as a christmas present. I'm hoping my next market will give me enough free cash that I don't feel uncomfortable ordering it now. But then I'll want to give it to him now too... so that he can make me soapy things....

Please share what you make!

3d printer! o_O

I was so close to getting a cricut machine... Then I took a step back and thought a bit more. I've been wanting a 3d printer for many many years, whereas I only heard of cricut on this forum recently. Also I have some pretty decent 3d skills, and I think in the long run I'll be able to achieve more with the printer that I couldn't do by just applying extra time and patience.

It'll be a couple of weeks before it arrives, but I'm so psyched! I have a model done up already for a soap stamp with detachable handle, so I can make many different designs without wasting too much filament. Husband has been browsing the online library and there's a bunch of things for the house and animals that he wants to print also.

I can't wait! 😁
Oh how exciting' I'm happy for you & looking forward to viewing your soap stamp's & all. 💫🙌🏼✨

I've been talking to my kids who have both used a 3d printer at school about buying one. There is just so much you can do! But I know nothing about them, so I've put it off! Congratulations!!! And have fun!

I'm crazy excited about this now - this is the first print I want to try, I think it should work ok:
1622117461987.png

Basically my initials done in a fancy font, on a base with a bayonet fitting. I'm still trying to decide if I'll 3D print the handle for it or make a wooden one...

Really curious to see your experiments with it!

Fun fact: my partner is toying with the idea of buying it too (he works in the 3D field) and his latest argument in favour of the purchase was, quote: "...just think of all the soap stamps we could create!" 😂
It's a great argument!

Every time I turn around I think of something new I want to print - I've a feeling I'll be running out of filament within a week or so 😁

I'm crazy excited about this now - this is the first print I want to try, I think it should work ok:
View attachment 57841
Badmount-everything niggling mode:
  • Too high. You're wasting filament and time for every mm you're putting into the model that doesn't end up doing something with the soap or the handle (the large cylinder is unnecessary).
  • Why a cylinder at all? A rectangular base for the letters would be sufficient. And a 3D printer will fill such a large volume with a structural lattice (honeycomb or similar) to save weight, time, and thermal warping, at the cost of stiffness and resistance to pressure.
  • Not bevelled. You have sharp edges that don't help the soap decide where to go. You used the simple “extrusion” of the 3D modelling software to prolong the 2D vector design (the letters in this case) into height parallel. But better for mechanical stability and cleaning to have edges that diverge conically towards the bottom. Keep in mind that 3D printers work in layers, so the vertical walls will have ripples in them. Higher precision printing reduces these, but increases print duration too.
  • How deep do you want to indent the stamp into the soap? You don't need to 3D-print taller than that.
  • (Typographical) counters/apertures. The boundary between imprint, emboss and cut-out are floating, and highly dependent on the consistency/hardness/brittleness of the underlying soap. You don't want the loop of the T to cut out a column of soap that breaks off when pulling out the stamp. There are calligraphically less troublesome, yet by no means less fancy typefaces out there, including (your) handwriting. Why not get a brush and ink, and sketch a unique, handwritten logo for a unique handmade soap?
  • Support structures and overhang. I don't know how the bayonet flange should work, but 3D printers can print overhangs only to a very limited degree, and at times need to introduce support structures for that (unless you do so and decide where you can easily file them away afterwards). A simple dovetail joint might be easier to 3D-print and plug onto a simpler crafted handle. But I don't know much about 3D printing and what's the current hot **** with reversibly joining parts.

Not bevelled. You have sharp edges that don't help the soap decide where to go. You used the simple “extrusion” of the 3D modelling software to prolong the 2D vector design (the letters in this case) into height parallel. But better for mechanical stability and cleaning to have edges that diverge conically towards the bottom. Keep in mind that 3D printers work in layers, so the vertical walls will have ripples in them. Higher precision printing reduces these, but increases print duration too.
Not Tara_H, but I would have never thought of this.

I've been having a mind to purchase a 3d printer, and even PM'd a member here about one, but have thus far been too intimidated to dole out money in concern it wouldn't get used. Hubs grows hydroponic veg and immediately thought of a customized net-pot design that he could print. However, other than that and a few small one-off items, I can't think of what else we would "print" to justify the cost and the dedicated space it would occupy.

However, I'm going to print your post and keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. It appears to me that you DO know much about 3D printing... :)

...Not bevelled...
Cheers for the feedback - I'm sure my very first print isn't going to be perfect in every way but it's a learning process just like everything else. I think you might be assuming this is a full bar-sized stamp though, from some of the comments. To address the beveling specifically, it was beveled originally and I ran a number of different bevel profiles through the slicer, but at this scale none of them gave good results.

How big is the stamp going to be?
The one I've posted above is about 2.5cm wide iirc. The idea is for it to be a corner detail rather than filling the whole bar.

P.S. It appears to me that you DO know much about 3D printing... :)
In any case not enough for smug name-dropping like these for which it is/will become a boring daily business:
bevel profiles through the slicer
(I know that these thingies/options exist, but I don't know how they're called and how to achieve something in a 3D design software)

My 3D printing career is very short and incomplete. I've printed one very simple thingie in the local FabLab, and sent one other template (2D height map) to a friend with a 3D printer. Most of my (apparently still impressing 😇) semi-knowledge comes from the fact that in said FabLab, the 3D printers are located just next to the cutting plotter, that I used to use extensively for various iron-on film textile designs. In the waiting times I listened to the 3D printer supervisors criticising the amateurish designs of the folks who were the first or second time here at all. Sadly, the FabLab is closed since, well, that virus thingie. So this thread is a good opportunity to refresh that know-it-all vocabulary and indignant tone of superiority 😁.

I'm fascinated by the 3D printing technique, and have watched hours of vocal cord models, spyglass eyecups, PC keyboard keycaps, and flower pots emerge out of nothing. I'm currently totally fine with not having a 3D printer on my own (only a tiny bit jealous), with a few options “just in case I need something badly”. On the other hand, I'm totally not jealous of needing to find a place where to put a 3D printer. And, on a serious note, I've seen how the enthusiasm inevitably flattens after some time, and it'd be a pity if I had a 3D printer catching dust, while others are craving for one (or, rather, in need of a few hours/days of filament time, not more). Not my home, but things like FabLabs, schools, etc. are IMHO the best place for 3D printers.

@Tara_H I would be curious to hear your results, my printer struggles with printing thin lines at that scale and it does took me a while to figure out I could preview the layers, to see which points would be missed and adjust the settings accordingly. You will have fun with it though, once you learn and get used to how yours work

@Tara_H I would be curious to hear your results, my printer struggles with printing thin lines at that scale and it does took me a while to figure out I could preview the layers, to see which points would be missed and adjust the settings accordingly. You will have fun with it though, once you learn and get used to how yours work
Yeah the first few versions out was clear from the preview that it wouldn't come out right at all, there were gaps and weird uneven bits... what I've done so far to try to help it are to set the print resolution quite fine, adjust the thin walls setting, and get it to 'iron' the top surface of the model after printing - it's improved the preview version at least!
I've been having lots of fun looking at the planned print path to understand how it will move, but I'm sure when I actually start printing things there'll be a massive learning curve. Which is great, that's what keeps me going 😁

Back