"Unpopular" Ingredients.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing is all these people will use store bought soap without knowing that they have AO's or CO ect.

So true! We all put undue faith in both govt. regulators like USDA and FDA as well as large corporations to "take care" of us. Never mind that the guy who made your pizza doesn't wash his hands. It's Pizza Hut so it must be ok!

Never mind that the guy who made your pizza doesn't wash his hands. It's Pizza Hut so it must be ok!
What?!?! :shock:
Teenage boys making my pizza don't wash their grubby, filthy, puberty-laden hands?
I just can't believe that!

If only that were enough to keep me from eating out... :lolno:
(My husband worked for Pizza Hut while he was in college when I met him...luckily he's a bit OCD and has a hygiene obsession, so I'm sure he -obsessively- washed his hands before making a pizza...and lucky for him, he married a clean-freak-soapmaker...)

P.S. The word hypocrite is offensive...there's no other way to mean it, or to take it, but to be offensive. That's where the thread went awry...

She was calling herself a hypocrite. I don't think she meant to offend anyone.

I find it increasingly disturbing how most people just take it for granted that anything packaged is "GREAT". The more I read about products across the board, from food, gardening, cleaning products and of course now soap........it makes me much more aware. Yet at the same time I don't want to live in constant fear, there is a balance for me. Over the last few years we have changed alot of things in our household. I am sure there will be more changes to come.

Funny enough before I started soaping I would have never questioned the soap I happened to see at good old WM last night. The label says "African Black Soap". Yet it is creamy white. All I could do was shake my head and laugh. Once again that lets me know that no matter how much EASIER it is for me to just TRUST the pre-packaged products, I have to be aware they are probably lying or hiding something. ALL BECAUSE OF THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR!

There really isn’t any FDA labeling requirements when it comes to processing honey (Raw VS. Processed). Honey from the US or from China can range anywhere from comb pulled from the hive, crushed and all parts (honey, wax, bee parts, etec…) poured into a bottle all the way to honey that is heated over 150 degrees, combined with sugar syrup and micro-filtered. Many commercial honey packages like to heat their honey above 90 and filter out most/all of the pollen since pollen is a major contributor to honey crystallization. A lot of farmers market honey (and ours) is only lightly filtered to remove bees/wax and only heated to the same temp that exist in the hive, so no damage done to the honey.

How about peanut oil? Once it sopanifies does it still produce reactions for those with peanut allergies. I would never use it as a main oil...just maybe a filler at no more than 15% of the total recipe. My go-to oils are palm, coconut & olive, followed usually by GV Shortening and always castor. Then I usually choose from canola, grapeseed, safflower....whatever soft oil Kroger might have on sale.

I don't think I would risk using peanut oil personally, I have a friend that is deathly allergic to them and I know it is a really common allergy. I am not sure how the chemical process would change the possible allergic reactions, but seems risky to me.

I just learned today that any refined oil has been stripped of the proteins that cause allergic reactions. According to the research, refined oil can usually be safely consumed even by allergic individuals. I am not personally allergic to peanuts, and I am NOT advocating running right out and drinking any, I am just saying that based on that information I *think* it would be unlikely to be a problem in soap. ALWAYS label it accurately and let others decide for themselves, too.

I think calling someone a "hypocrite" because they eat meat but choose to make all vegetable soap is a bit harsh, and frankly, quite offensive.

I believe what they have been saying is that people who eat meat but won't use soap that has animal fats in it are hypocritical, not people who *make* soap without animal fats.

This has been a great discussion!

I wonder where people got being turned off from aos, maybe from vegetable soapers who say stuff on the subject to get more sales? It's just a thought. And I forgot, If something's cheap it can't possibly be good. Women really seem to fall prey to this. Just go into a dept store and see how much creams cost that are supposed to make you look like your senior picture again. They don't really push soaps of any kind I notice, although there might be a $25 bar here and there to go with a skin care line. Just cleansers mostly and those will have unpronouceable ingredients you might as well not bother reading. Dove is still really super popular with women who never bought handmade or maybe the did and they still want Dove for the scent and 1/4 cleansing cream.

I don't think most people hate lard because it comes from animals. Most people don't like the idea of lard being in their soap because all they have ever heard about it for their whole lives is that it's bad for you and cheap....

Yep, I think you're right about that. I would also add that lard might have a poor reputation from the memories of the harsh lard and lye soap many of our grandmothers (or g-grandmothers) made.

My grandma, who had been a home ec teacher as a young unmarried woman, made soap from lard she rendered from hogs my grandfather raised. (She used store bought lye, by the way.) She used her homemade soap only for the laundry -- and bought Palmolive for the bath. Isn't that sad that she could have easily made a lye-and-lard soap that would have been wonderful for personal use too?

--DeeAnna

I was raised in a family of avid hunters, and my grandfather and two uncles are (retired now) butchers. I have helped butcher hogs and deer, and eaten a variety of meats...whether I liked it or not (Dad!). My dad uses as much of the animal as he can, or finds someone else that can. He makes jerky, sausage, ground meats...uses bone and antler to make Native American knives, beads, necklaces, etc...the hides go to a local taxidermist. My family are meat-eaters. I, however, could take it or leave it, depending on the day and the meal. If it were up to me, I would create a new eating style word: Carbegetarian (carbs & veggies, please). I call my sons "meatatarians" because they would be happy to just eat meat for meals.

Shawnee, what an admirable family of ethical hunters you come from! Love to hear that kind of respect for the animals that are killed.

I think calling someone a "hypocrite" because they eat meat but choose to make all vegetable soap is a bit harsh, and frankly, quite offensive.

I'm not talking about making soap. I'm saying someone who would stand up from a meal of bacon and then say "eww, I'm not washing myself with lard soap." It's soap, it's not lard anymore.

I'm not talking about making soap. I'm saying someone who would stand up from a meal of bacon and then say "eww, I'm not washing myself with lard soap." It's soap, it's not lard anymore.

Yeah that would be.:lol: And a delicious breakfast at that. I don't know I never thought badly of lard. I think my parents might have cooked with it sometimes. Biscuits maybe. When I bought some I just remember thinking how clean and white it looked. Tallow has a better reputation and that makes no sense to me unless people just like cows better than pigs. They associate pigs with llving in filthy styes. Then why love bacon and pork chops?

I went to a fair one time and there was an outspoken soaper there with a booth and she would say loudly, "Yep, all vegetable, no animal fats in these bars. No, ma'am (or sir), I won't use them." That puts lard and tallow in a very bad light with people shopping at a fair. What if there had been another soaper's booth with animal fat soaps.

Yeah that would be.:lol: And a delicious breakfast at that. I don't know I never thought badly of lard. I think my parents might have cooked with it sometimes. Biscuits maybe. When I bought some I just remember thinking how clean and white it looked. Tallow has a better reputation and that makes no sense to me unless people just like cows better than pigs. They associate pigs with llving in filthy styes. Then why love bacon and pork chops?

I went to a fair one time and there was an outspoken soaper there with a booth and she would say loudly, "Yep, all vegetable, no animal fats in these bars. No, ma'am (or sir), I won't use them." That puts lard and tallow in a very bad light with people shopping at a fair. What if there had been another soaper's booth with animal fat soaps.

I plan on making both types. One for medieval fairs, and the rest for mundanes ( modern folk at regular fairs). I want to have the realistic experience of doing so. I am a medievalist. That means trying to recreate the techniques of the Middle Ages. If I don't use the ingredients they had. Then how can I say my product is as close as possible to the product produced back then.

Yeah, that's really not fair. I made lard yesterday from the fat of my pasture raised organic pig. Not some filthy animal and it would have been a total waste to throw all that tissue away without using it. I wish I had a dog or something to feed the cracklins to. The only parts of our pig we didn't really use were the lungs, the snout and the tail. And yes, my friend ate the heart tonight.

And yeah to reiterate. Most of the time, I really only have access to vegetable oils so I don't think it's hypocritical to like only buy one brand, I just think it's hypocritical to waste.

Back