"Unpopular" Ingredients.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who sell commercially, do you find that there are ingredients that frequently make customers recoil or think twice? For instance, I would think for people who don't understand true "soap," beef tallow as an ingredient could turn up some noses. If I mention "Crisco," "lard" or "shortening" I swear my daughter looks at the bars like they will make her fat if she rubs one on her skin. And my mom-in-law gets "the vapors" at the mention of coconut oil, because of course, 1 drop of it in a soap recipe will instantly turn her into the Crypt Keeper. How do you get people over that?

LiverSpots.jpg

Stop telling people what's in it. Most don't really care. At least that's my experience. I have sold for a total of about 5 years (but been out of it for past 6 years). I found a few looked at the label, but almost never questioned what was on it. The others never even looked at the ingredients. I have always used tallow, and have never had anyone question it at all.

Every now and then, I would be asked if my soaps were all natural. I would just say they mostly are, except for some of the colors and fragrances. Then they would go ahead and buy it!

Also, the whole thing about oils & fats doesn't sound appealing anyway. Ours soaps are not oil & fats - they're a whole new substance - soap - after the chemical reaction takes place.

That's a very good point. Even when mom asks me what's in it I don't tell her. I just say "oils and fats", lye, what EO I used, what colorant I used, and any juice or milk I may have used Most people will just look at the ingredients for allergy reasons. My husband was weird about lard till I explained to him that a lot of commercial soaps contain lard.

Last edited:
I am a stalker, er I mean investigator, and I have looked at the ingredients of some people that sell A LOT of soap. I found that a ton of them use soybean oil - as the main ingredient (It could be Crisco, who knows). Others that use lard or tallow (like me) use it in smaller portions and simply list it as 'natural fats'. I liked the sound of that, so I adopted it. With it falling so far down the label, it won't get questioned anyway. Just my thoughts.

I would challenge them to look at the ingredients in their favorite "soap" at home. You aren't going to please everyone, regardless of what you do. I have people that say how excited they are about things I have made, come to find out they just use them as "decoration" or until they have a "special occasion" to bring it out. What occasion is special enough to wash your hands? lol

I know I'm "preaching to the choir," and I'm a sustaining member of P.E.T.A. ("Peaple Eating Tasty Animals"). I was just wondering how to deal with the nay-sayers. Fat has gotten a really bad reputation in American culture. And, many retail-oriented consumers are programmed to believe anything pre-packaged is "good" and everything else is somehow inferior. Not picking on my daughter, but she's been trained to believe a dress made by some child paid $1/day in a Malaysian sweat shop with the right label is, by default, superior to a hand-made dress from an experienced seamstress who lives down the street. My family thinks my soap is a neat hobby, they they still prefer Dove or Dial when they want to get "really clean." I can't imagine every using commercial soap again if I have the choice.

I have seen a lot of soap on Etsy where the makers proudly proclaim VEGAN and I believe the masses come running. LOL.. However, since I make goat milk soap, it is moot that I use tallow. Just by the very nature of my soap it is not VEGAN. I love eating tasty animals!

The only reason I don't use animal fats is because I'm a vegetarian and a parttime vegan. It is indeed hypocrite to eat the meat and to dreject the fat in soap.

I know lots of people freak out when I tell them I use sodium hydroxide which is also use to unclogg drains. But when I explain that it's not in the soap after it's ready, most people are okay with it. And asking about the ingredients in their store bought soap and cosmetics ususally shuts them up if neccesary. They buy that without even thinking about the chemicals in there. They never call the soap factory and ask them about it eh?

I am a stalker, er I mean investigator, and I have looked at the ingredients of some people that sell A LOT of soap. I found that a ton of them use soybean oil - as the main ingredient (It could be Crisco, who knows). Others that use lard or tallow (like me) use it in smaller portions and simply list it as 'natural fats'. I liked the sound of that, so I adopted it. With it falling so far down the label, it won't get questioned anyway. Just my thoughts.

"Natural fats"... Now I like the sounds of that! I could even see "natural fatty acids from plant and/or animal sources)...now if I can just work in the word "sustainable." :evil:

Last edited:
Not picking on my daughter, but she's been trained to believe a dress made by some child paid $1/day in a Malaysian sweat shop with the right label is, by default, superior to a hand-made dress from an experienced seamstress who lives down the street.

It is a cultural/age thing. She will change her mind in due time DW, and then beg you for your hand crafted goods! I was going to add to my last statement along with checking the label to look where it was made.

I would challenge them to look at the ingredients in their favorite "soap" at home. You aren't going to please everyone, regardless of what you do. I have people that say how excited they are about things I have made, come to find out they just use them as "decoration" or until they have a "special occasion" to bring it out. What occasion is special enough to wash your hands? lol

Yeah this one drives me crazy too. My mom is 80 and won't use the soap I give her because it's "too pretty." I'm like, "Hey mom....clock's tickin' baby. Get to scrubbin'. Lot's more where that came from." I think one us should start a line of soap called "Use Me!"

Last edited:
Yeah this one drives me crazy too. My mom is 80 and won't use the soap I give her because it's "too pretty." I'm like, "Hey mom....clock's tickin' baby. Get to scrubbin'. Lot's more where that come from." I think one us should start a line of soap called "Use Me!"

bahahahahahahhahahahaha that would be great. Then you can partner with this artist! http://shirtoid.com/4521/lil-soap/

The base ingredient In dove is sodium tallowate. People don't know what it is, they think it's one of those unpronounceable words that is bad for thier health. Don't bein it their attention ad instead sell benefits. "all natural" is a good one.

Is there a thread with a list of all the names of the alkali salts or a site that lists them? i.e sodium tallowate, sodium palmate

Natural fats, I like that!

I tell people that I use food grade oils and of course, cocoa butter is an ingredient of chocolate. Haven't seen any food with Shea, mango or other butters that I use.:mrgreen:

Is there a thread with a list of all the names of the alkali salts or a site that lists them? i.e sodium tallowate, sodium palmate

:) im gonna start one now cause i dont think that there is one.
I think it would be nice to have a thread of commercial ingredients so we can be better armed for when people ask us questions about our soaps and comparing them to the store poop.

Latest posts

Back