Packing is AWFUL...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That is my opinion of packing after 35 years. I do not like it. Actually I could use more colorful words but I would probably get thrown out of here. :nonono: Even with all my de-stashing, I have been working on one soap supply storage cabinet for 2 days, this is craziness and I still do not have the cabinet packed up. This does not include the cabinet and rack on the service porch, and who wanted to sell their house. How stupid that was... Oh yeah, my hubby mentioned keeping it to two boxes, yeah right, as if that is going to happen. We will not even talk about the huge tote of fo's that I am not moving and taking to hazard, I just cannot go another round of destashing.

After the soaping supplies, I have to get started on the reptile supplies, wait until he sees the 3 new tanks to move. At least they are not planted yet, so I guess that is a plus. They will be planted by the time my move comes to Winnemucca at the end of the year. At least I hope by the end of the year.

Two months to finish up the house of my moms, the house she evicted my kids out of, and get moved down there now the handyman we hired is suing us, how fun. Wonder what mom and sister are going to think when I move in. 🤪 In 3 weeks he did not get 1 room painted and expected us to pay him $2300.00 to leave when we fired him. He was charging $2400.00 to clean out the house dispose of the stuff left in the house and paint. Two days into the 3rd week he had moved everything to the backyard, edged around the walls, and never sanded down the shine on the woodwork. After we spoke to him he did strip 3 doors after Tony and I worked down there for 3 days. I offered him a check for the hrs I estimated he worked, he had $300.00 cash when he started which he would not take. Apparently, he does not realize under contractors' law if you are unlicensed you can only charge $500.00. He tried to get my daughter to get us to give him the $2300.00 or he would sue us, she advised him I have a really good attorney and he better have a handyman's license if he wants to go up against me, which he told her he did not believe. My son-in-law holds a contractor's license which we had for our former business. We shall see how this turns out. My new man has done more in 3 days.

Handyman v. cmzaha, eh? I know which side I'd lay money on. :nodding:
We shall see. He better hope he has a license. I will be visiting the city to check on it, and on the contractor's board as soon as I get his last name. LOL, don't say it...I already heard that one from my attorney today. :p :p

How is your move coming along?

Well, Karl has been busy cleaning out his shop and destashing some things. I, on the other hand, am happily doing none of that at the moment. We are paying the movers to pack up all the house stuff, including dishes, clothes, etc. It doesn't cost that much more and helps me keep my sanity while working 8-10 hours per day, making all the meals, and even working this past weekend (running a virtual conference). The other nice thing about paying them to pack us is they come two days before the move to start boxing things up. That means I don't have to try and work in the middle of boxes everywhere for weeks at a time.

We've moved a lot and have used the packing service almost every time. It's a couple hundred dollars extra and worth every penny! But Karl doesn't want them touching his tools, so he will be packing and moving those himself with the help of friends. Too many bad experiences with his stuff getting broken or going missing.

This first move I am only moving down the street so I will be putting away the minimum to live in the house and keep as much as possible packed. So far we are having no luck with finding a builder and all the architects are busy that we have called. I may not get a house started until next year at this rate. :-( We have decided we want to go with stick build to have what we want. When I still lived at home my parents moved a few times and I did most of the packing, but my mom was not a great keeper of things so packing was not hard, and we usually stayed in the same town.

Ugh, sorry to hear about the trouble finding someone. Maybe it is a blessing that you can focus just on moving for right now, and then on fixing up your mom's house. The builder will come along when the timing is right. :)

What a pain! I hope you find a builder/architect soon! Around here it's almost impossible to find someone to build your house, then it's the challenge of getting plumbers, electricians, etc.

We owned a house and a condo about 50 yards apart from each other. We moved out of the condo into the house, and then back into the condo from the house, and then we sold the condo and moved back into the house! All within about 6 years. I got rid of a lot of stuff, but now we've been in the house for 5 years and I'm starting to accumulate again. Hopefully no moving for a long time!

Latest posts

Back