Um, any advice for treating lips and tongue that have been burned by soap batter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibct1969

Reaction score
In the midst of a swirling frenzy I managed to get some batter on my upper lip and a drop on my tongue. My lip feels totally burned. Ice? Or what's best? Feeling so stupid....

I'm not a doctor, but if it were me, I would apply fresh aloe vera gel to both places (I keep a live aloe vera plant in my house for household burns, and also sunburns). I basically would cut off a stem of aloe, split it in half, scoop out the innards and mash them up, then apply the mash to the troubled area. To keep it on the skin for a more prolonged time, you can even tape the opened side of the split stem directly onto the skin (I've done that before on various occasions with excellent results). For the tongue......aloe vera doesn't taste very good (at least not to me), but it's edible. I would have no qualms about mashing some of the innards up with some water, and then swishing it around in my mouth every so often throughout the day (you can spit it out when done swishing).

IrishLass :)

First thoroughly flush the area with cool water for 15 minutes. This it to ensure you have washed away all residual lye. Afterward, a cool compress is helpful to relieve pain. Do NOT use ice on a burn.

Consult a physician if it is larger than 3 inches in diameter, or looks or feels like it is deep, or looks or feels like it is getting worse.

Edited to add: There is no definitive evidence that treating chemical burns with aloe is either beneficial or contraindicated. Depending on how your skin feels, I would approach this plan very cautiously.

In my youth I was badly burned and I can tell you, I did not want ANYTHING touching my burns until after the ER docs sedated me. Of course, that was fire and not a chemical burn, but the memory of the pain has me very sympathetic to your situation.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I did flush the area with cool water. I don't have any aloe vera but I think I'll get some...

My lip feels like a sea cucumber but luckily it's not even swollen! At least not yet. I hope it doesn't peel!

Here's the soap I was making :)
IMG_1068.JPG

I hope it was worth it!

Pretty soap!

If the burning sensation starts up again, which it can with chemical burns, you can flush again for several minutes. And the cool compresses.

I had a very painful lye burn on my tongue sometime over a year or so ago and it seemed to take forever for it to heal to the point where my tongue felt normal again. It wasn't a splash. It was stupidly knowingly licking what looked like a lye rock or a crystal. I knew exactly what it was as I moved it toward my tongue but my brain didn't communicate fast enough to stop my reflexes from moving that lye rock to my tongue! I understand when you say 'stupid'.

You're getting good advice. If you want to coat your lip with something to keep the air off, avoid fatty salves. IL's suggestion about aloe gel or a similar water-based product sounds sensible to me. If whatever you put on the burn increases the pain, go back to just cool water. The point now that the worst is over is to soothe and protect, not cause more misery.

That soap looks lovely. If you have to suffer for your art, you did good. ;)

I burned my lip with fresh soap a couple years ago. I just used some vaseline to keep it moist while it healed.

I would just leave the lip open to air (no aloe, oils, lipstick, lip balm) as long as it is not an open wound. If it has skin, leave it be and let it heal. The tongue will heal incredibly quickly as it is in the moisture of the mouth.

Of more concern, however, is the fact that your face received a splatter. Please tell me you had goggles on?

I use lavender EO neat... soothing and burns heal without scarring. :D For sunburn, I always have an aloe plant handy.

Please don't recommend the use of lavender EO neat (full strength) on the skin (or any other EO for that matter). I know people do it, especially lavender, but people do become sensitized to lavender EO, and there's no point in asking for trouble if there are safer and just as effective ways of using EOs. One of the factors that contributes toward a full blown allergy is repeated exposure to high doses.

"...Skin reactions are totally dilution-dependent, and safety guidelines exist to minimize risk. This does not mean of course that every time a person uses an undiluted oil there will be an adverse reaction. Many times there won’t. But more is not always better, and minimizing risk is generally a good idea...." http://roberttisserand.com/2014/05/essential-oil-dilution-important/

"...some people never experience any skin redness, even with repeated use of undiluted essential oils. Still, the potential for adverse skin reaction exists with all essential oils—and with all users...." http://tisserandinstitute.org/essential-oils-and-the-detox-theory/

Also:
http://roberttisserand.com/2014/05/essential-oil-dilution-important/
https://www.themiracleofessentialoils.com/negative-reactions-essential-oils/

edit:
And finally this:
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-dangerous-to-put-lavender-oil-directly-on-your-skin/answer/Marge-Clark

Last edited:
I agree with DeeAnna. No EO should be used neat. My mom is a doc and a doc in her last endocrinology conference presented a paper regarding lavender n tea tree EO stating that the over usage of those 2 EO is causing endocrinology imbalances. The 1st thing she did after the conference is give me a call as I use them in my products. So I stopped them in my leave ons just as a precaution. I m not saying that everyone should too but moderation is the best thing in my opinion.The full potency of EOs is still unknown and we should be careful while dealing with them.

That said, I would rinse thoroughly with water and let it open to air.. I happened to have the same issue a couple of times on my arms ( I am pretty clumsy sometimes ) and it worked for me.

I know people here are going to look at me crossed eye (if they could see me, ha ha). But if you have pure Vaseline, I would put some in the lips, not the tongue!

plus great advice from Earlene.

Once I got some batter in my hair, like the top of my head ..... it freaked me out.

Tisserand has an interesting article on lavender for burns.

http://roberttisserand.com/2016/04/lavender-helps-burned-boy-a-gory-story-with-a-happy-ending/

I'm not sure that this can be transferred to a burn on the lips and tongue, as whatever you use will be ingested.

I've used fresh aloe to good effect after sunburn, but not chemical burns. It's soothing and reasonably edible, seems to help healing and I agree it doesn't taste nice.

Hope you feel better soon.

Nice soap.

In the past I read about René-Maurice Gattefossé and his seemingly desperate reaction to a chemical burn that he experienced in his lab, when he apparently plunged his injured hand into the 'nearest vat of liquid' which just 'happened to be lavender oil' and his burn healed quickly. Thank God, he didn't plunge his hand into a vat of clove oil or something else, right. One would wonder how his colleagues reacted when he told them, 'it was the nearest cool liquid and I couldn't stand the pain so I just plunged my hand in'. I expect they were appalled at the risk he took.

https://www.oilsandplants.com/gattefosse.htm

But I have not learned whether or not there were any long term issues ever identified with this happy accident or the treatment of others.

Some cautions about using full strength essential oils are listed in this article, including information about which skin types may be more sensitive than others. One case listed was a bad reaction to lavender.

More about the Gattefosse story: http://roberttisserand.com/2011/04/gattefosses-burn/

My first training in EOs was not the best, and as a result I also used neat EOs occasionally on the "more is more" theory. I managed to survive the experience with no bad consequences, but these experiences taught me a few sharp lessons. I've since learned from better teachers, and I now know diluted EOs provide excellent results with far greater safety.

In the case of Gattefosse and of the child who was badly burned, neat lavender EO was used liberally in a situation where the person's survival was at stake. I doubt Gattefosse and the child's mother had firm proof that the neat EO was necessary -- it's entirely possible a dilution would have worked as well or even better. But I accept they were both facing dire consequences with little evidence to guide them, so they did the best they knew how.

Thanks everyone for the excellent input. Good to know. I spent a year studying the medicinal use of herbs and EOs and am well aware that, while lavender & tea tree applied "neat" is GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe), that overuse can cause problems.

SHORT STORY
I still remember my first lye burn. It was early in my soaping career. I was dressed in full hazmat gear -- hair pulled back, goggles, gloves, long pants, closed-toe shoes and a lab smock. Determined to get it right! LOL Somehow during the process, a stray hair got loose, and, without thinking, I brushed it back with a gloved hand. Yee-Ouch! Burnt like a hot ember across my eyebrow!. At that time I had a bottle of 8 oz water + a tablespoon of vinegar. I used that to daub liberally on the burn, rinsing several times. I followed up with homemade herbal salve. Moral of the story, I still have the scar from that burn.

Some time later, I ran across the Gattefossé story and I've been using lavender on burns ever since -- more from cooking than soaping, I'm happy to report.

I thought twice before posting that info. Then I asked myself, what if the OP were me? What if it were my lip and tongue? And what if someone had a remedy that would heal without scarring but was afraid to post it. ??? That's when I decided to go ahead and share it. I am grateful to my colleagues who shared their vast information about the necessary cautions needed when using essential oils. I should have done, but all y'all stated the case so much better!

Back