This Bothers Me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OliveOil2

Reaction score
I should mind my own business, but the You Tube Video Below really made me crazy! This woman has a Hugh following, over 3,000 Facebook fans, and over 500 You Tube videos. This particular You Tube video had pages and pages of replies, mostly people wanting to make soap from her tutorial. At least with Nancy Today you know somethings are meant in jest. She seems nice enough, and has some soap making knowledge, but this is just so wrong. She isn't selling the soap, just for her own use.

[ame]http://youtu.be/IR2iCvwElyo[/ame]

I see in the comments that she reuses her plastic mixer beater for food afterwards.

Well. That's... something.

She's braver than me! But, everybody's gotta have a video these days...

Well, it's not as bad as some I've seen but I am now one step closer to putting up my "Soap Police" website!

Last night I came close to emailing her, I didn't want to post on her You Tube, she really needs to do more research before doing a 'how to' on a subject she is new to. I was alarmed at how many of her regulars now want to make soap, and may use this as a guide. Some want to buy her soap, not knowing that it could be caustic.

I haven't ran her recipe thru a soap calc. Why do you think her soap will be caustic?

It may not be caustic, but I wouldn't want to take any chances, it did occur to me that her recipe may be within safe ranges. It just seems that measuring 1 1/2 cups of lye leaves room for error. I went through her older videos and she had a 45 minute You Tube video with a soap making friend, and it was stressed in that video weigh, by weight not volume. I think that she appeals to so many individuals who want to be self sufficient, and homestead, and some people may use this as a guide.

I watched this last night and ill be honest.. I felt like a dunce because I couldn't quite see the error. :/
She seemed quite safety conscious and have warnings.. I wasn't sure what was wrong beyond the volume and not weight measurement but thought maybe she has already tested this way and knows its safe? Idk. She seemed like she knew what she was doing and had been around the 'soap' block with all her videos and followers.

Don't shame me for still not seeing it.. But what is the big 'eye opener' that she did?
Was it the lye?

Jennee I have seen worse, but for me it was the way she measured out the lye, and even though she gave out good safety advise she didn't have on any protective gloves when she scrapped her lye bowl, she has the lye mixing in that mixer without the shield on (even though she mentioned the safety shield). The other concern was her using the utensils for cooking later, that was in her comments. The biggest concern was that she had so many regulars who may use her methods, again not the worst soaping video that I have seen, just wasn't happy to see this online, and it seems that she does have some knowledge of soap making.

You can mix lye in a container and still use it safely for food handling. Sodium hydroxide is used in food preparation; it will wash clean out of a stainless container.

You can mix lye in a container and still use it safely for food handling. Sodium hydroxide is used in food preparation; it will wash clean out of a stainless container.

I don't mind it either. As long as it's unscented soap when you want to use plastic stuff like the beater for food again.

I think most of what made the video cringe worthy for me had to do with the lye. I've never used lard but that just LOOKED like too much lye. I looked at Brambleberry website and they say "Our Lye is 32 oz. by volume and 27 oz. by weight." This lady uses 1 1/4 cup, which by my calculations is about 8.43 oz. When I googled how much a cup of lard weighs (205gr, 7oz, 8oz) and ran the recipe through soap calc, I keep getting around 4oz of lye for "4 cups" of lard and that is with the standard 5% sf. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong here.

Then she says not to worry about it not all being dissolved and puts it the the mixer where it's sloshing around and didn't use a splash guard IMMEDIATELY! They make those splash guard because the mixer tends to SPLASH!

Oh, yeah - I'd never use my Kitchenaid to mix up a lye solution - that thing splashes everything to merry hell.

I love my kitchen aid mixer too much to subject it to that. eek. :shock:

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

1. not weighing ingredients using cups.
2. Using Pyrex for the lye.
3.Using a wooden spoon.
4. I hope she wore safety glasses.
5. I don't believe making soap in the kitchenaid is safe at all. but that is just me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back