Stormy Seas soap revisited!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made another batch of my Stormy Seas HW:LW soap. The blue HW batter was colored with indigo powder, AC and TD to get the color I wanted. The white LW batter has some white clay. No rivers were produced in the layer with the highest water content (the one on the bottom, where I stamped the soaps), which I find quite interesting and mysterious.

805C8F4C-F444-45F9-9841-79CBB3E8A0B2.jpeg

These are scented with an EO blend called Revive from EOCalc.com site.
Found it. Looks yummy for a step up from a Euc/Mint blend. Thanks!

https://www.eocalc.com/blends/revive/

REVIVE
25% Peppermint (Redistilled)
15% Eucalyptus Globulus
45% Tea Tree
15% Lavender 40/42

ETA: Forgot to mention :oops: ... I love the look and colors of that soap. Takes me right out to the sea. Nice job!

I made another batch of my Stormy Seas HW:LW soap. The blue HW batter was colored with indigo powder, AC and TD to get the color I wanted. The white LW batter has some white clay. No rivers were produced in the layer with the highest water content (the one on the bottom, where I stamped the soaps), which I find quite interesting and mysterious.

View attachment 42182
Those are gorgeous. Yup, I remember being on stormy seas just like those.

Those are probably the only stormy seas I'd actually want lol. Beautiful soaps :)
Yep, it’s my way of conjuring up the good memories of being out on the ocean without getting seasick or smelling diesel fumes! It’s not a difficult soap to make except that the temperature of the soap in the mold needs to stay at very close to 140F for at least a few hours in order to get the rivers in the HW soap.

I tried another Stormy Seas HW, LW soap with micas and EOcalc’s Seascape blend, which is Lemongrass, Cedar, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. With micas instead of indigo, I expanded my colors to include Klein Blue, Blue Vibrance, and Adamant Olive from Nurture, and TD. It’s hard to see in the photo, but the rivers are really well developed in the bottom layer. Maybe I should call this one Tempest.

D6F28B86-207C-49C2-AE66-5C81D131EA33.jpeg

I tried another Stormy Seas HW, LW soap with micas and EOcalc’s Seascape blend, which is Lemongrass, Cedar, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. With micas instead of indigo, I expanded my colors to include Klein Blue, Blue Vibrance, and Adamant Olive from Nurture, and TD. It’s hard to see in the photo, but the rivers are really well developed in the bottom layer. Maybe I should call this one Tempest.

View attachment 52032
These are gorgeous!!

What is HW LW?

Thank you so much ❤ ❤❤

@Catscankim the dark blue batter was made using 28% lye concentration (high water) and the white batter using 35% lye concentration (low water). If you look closely, you might be able to see the 6 different layers of soap. Each was made using inverse proportions of the 2 batters from the bottom up, ranging from solid blue (with no white) to solid white (with no blue). When the soap is cured it will have texture that runs along the lines of dark blue soap.

@Dawni the bars above are long gone, but the last time I looked, my indigo test bars in storage were still blue. I plan to check my archived soaps over the Christmas break so I can update the indigo and madder threads.

@dibbles It’s palm based! I went up to 25% palm and worked a bit warmer and didn’t end up with graininess :).

Last edited:
Wow that is gorgeous! It took me a minute to figure out the explanation but now it makes sense. I might want to try that sometime!
If you decide to try it, let me know and I will send you the proportions of batter I used for each layer. The math is the trickiest part and it’s better to do it in advance :rolleyes:

Here’s an update on the soap in post #1, which has been stored in a glassine bag inside a closed box. It’s the soap in my current avatar. Wow, it has really changed. The color is fine in the blue (lower lye concentration) soap at the bottom and in the white (higher lye concentratio) soap at the top. The color is significantly lighter in some, but not all of the intermediate layers that formed rivers. Those layers are mixes of the HW and LW batters. The blue colorant is plant indigo. Looking back at the original photo, I can see that the areas that look washed out now looked a bit grey in the early photo. The soap is scented with the EOCalc blend Revive, which still smells wonderful even though it seems to be seeping out of the soap.
E26B759E-1C4D-41D4-BCAF-3A0DC5684AFB.jpeg
ETA: the lighting is quite poor for this shot as you can tell from the background, which should look white.

Last edited:

View attachment 42182
this is so lovely. My daughter is an oceanographer - I would love to try to make something like this.

Latest posts

Back