Unusual liquid soap suspension question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiger

Reaction score
First off, I know nothing about soap making - other than what Fight Club taught us all in 1999.
So I'm hoping somebody knowledgeable might be able to help me out.

I've got 800mL of store-bought liquid dish soap (Palmolive) and I'd like to find a way to thicken it so that I can permanently suspend green glow-in-the-dark powder within it - kind of like how liquid hand soaps sometimes suspend microbeads. Something that results in either a -very- slowly separating suspension, or maybe a colloid.

I've done some internet searching and haven't found much ...which makes me think maybe this isn't possible.
I tried adding salt, with mixed results, but it makes the soap opaque. I'd like to find a solution that retains clarity so the phosphorescent powder can charge better in light. Adding salt and green food coloring made it successfully suspend for several days, but it seems to have now completely coagulated and has started to turn orange/red for some reason; maybe due to something in the food coloring.

'Crothix Liquid' seems like it might be an idea, but since I'm ignorant of soap making, I'm hesitant to start buying random chemicals without a recommendation.

I should probably note- this won't be used as an actual soap product. It's for personal permanent display inside a sealed glass container. And I'd prefer to retain some fluidity and not go completely stiff gel.

Any ideas?

Not a single suggestion or idea on how to thicken or suspend something in liquid soap...?

Sorry, most of us here make lye-based liquid soap.

Palmolive dish "soap" is not a true soap, as that word is defined scientifically. It is a cleanser made from synthetic detergent (syndet) ingredients. It's unlikely that many if any of us on this forum make liquid syndets.

I'd recommend contacting the distributor or manufacturer of Crothix to see if they have any suggestions for you.

I knew there was a difference, but I guess I didn't realize it was that large of a difference. Thanks for the tip. 'Syndet' was not a term I came across in my searches, so maybe that'll help get me closer to an answer.

@Mobjack Bay you just made me realize that a good source for this kind of info might be SwiftCraftyMonkey.blog/blog/. Lots of information is behind the paywall, but even a $1 monthly subscription unlocks a lot of good stuff. The format can make it difficult to follow the trail, but if nothing else, there could be some ingredient suggestions. Chemist's Corner might be another resource.

Latest posts

Back