Soap #2

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I watched a video on how to do a "Tall & Skinny Shimmy", by "I Dream In Soap".

I can tell you it did not go as planned. First off, I did not use a T/S mold. Also, Her soap batters were very thin and just emulsified. My batter was, again, thick by the time I got all my colors mixed, etc. The infused annato oil took forever to come to trace! I think I'm scared to not get them mixed enough. I even did most by hand mixing with minimal stick blending. I know how to tell emulsion, but I don't think I trust myself yet.

Anyways, I was supposed to take turns raising each side of the mold and to put my different colors, one at a time, down the sides. I was not using a tall and skinny mold.

The batter being thick, didn't really want to run down the sides of the wall like hers. Nor did it spread out as much aa I poured it either. And, of course, it got thicker as time went on.

This was good practice either way. It took me forever to break apart the recipe and I literally wrote down all the steps I needed to do.

I'll post pics of the cut but do not expect it to look anything close to the soap in the video! Will be interesting to see what shade of blue the gray turns. And what shade of orange/yellow the annato turns. 😊

Recipe: Vegan, Palm-Free

Colors:
37% Plain batter
24% Orange/yellow (37% Annato oil infusion)
24% Blue (10% indigo oil infusion)
15% Brown (Cocoa powder mixed with a bit of water, then mixed into batter)

Essential Oils:
Eucalyptus
Spearmint
Cedarwood
Lime
0F30EC13-B60E-45D9-94D6-A8565531A240.jpeg
2B07DFC4-0918-40AA-9122-3FDA29E20B54.jpeg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share an additional source for indigo (tinctoria) which I bought here: Maiwa Online Store

They carry a wide variety of natural colorants which are of very high quality. The indigo tinctoria which I purchased from them gives me VERY intense results, as do all of the other plant colorants I bought from them. I have to tune it back a notch even in large soap batches, otherwise it can appear black because of its intensity. If used more sparingly, it can produce beautiful, intense blues of various shades.

I also have indigo naturalis (bought from a soap making supplier) & find I get very different results from both. This one is 'weaker', so to speak, which doesn't really surprise me I suppose because it's not being sold by this supplier as a fabric dye. It gives far less intense blues, and looks like a *very* deep violet color in its infusion bottle - I make large batches of oil infusions of my natural colorants.

Indigo tinctoria looks *intensely* navy blue in its bottle / jar oil infusion when I shake it up.

Beautiful combination of colors you used :)

Back