Soap making troubles and pictures to go with.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnePlus

Reaction score
Below are some pictures of my recent batches. All Cpop with about 15mins at 170. Poured at light trace. There are a few problems.

img0913k.jpg

Here are two batches of 30/30/30/10 oo/co/po/caster. They have plumbers crack down the center and a thin vein that runs midway down the loaf.

img0907t.jpg

Here is a bath of 30/30/ 30/10(mango). Top looks cooked and the sides look the same as the one patch on this bar below.

img0916pb.jpg

I trimmed off most of this, but on all batches the sides get pock marks.

img0921h.jpg

and the sides weep EO and dont want to leave my WSP mold leaving the soap pock marked.

All trimmed up, they look just fine. Except those ugly castor batches.

Any suggestions?
img0915q.jpg

I think you have at least two different issues going on here - pockmarks on the sides, and most likely temperature problems.

Your starting temps and water amount will have a significant impact on how the soap reacts in the oven. I know there are those that believe that temperatures aren't important, but I find that if the soap is too cold going into the oven I experience appearance issues. Also, oven knob markings are notoriously inaccurate at the low end - are you actually measuring the temps in your oven?

As for the pockmarks, it could be either a contaminant in the mold, or an oil blend issue. If they are new molds, try running them through the dishwasher a few times to remove anything that might be left on them from the manufacturing process. Otherwise try adjusting your oil blend or your process one item at a time until you identify what is causing the pockmarks.

Good luck!

Yup, overheating. The "plumbers crack" is because the top rose like a loaf of bread and then came back down as it cooled. I work at pretty high temps and it happens to me sometimes...

I will try a batch and keep the oven off. I pour lyewater at 100-110 degrees. Yes the molds are new. Does castor encourage overheating? The purple batch was subjected to more heat and didnt butt crack, but castor did it twice. Thanks for the help... I am paranoid about partial gel, as I had that issue in the past. Once i trim the soap up, it seems to be just fine... oddy my batches of 30/30/30/10 come out softer in the molds than 75/25 oo/po.

oh and I have an oven therm and its accurate. Put it in at 170 for 15mins then cut it off.

I always seem to have more problems with CPOP when I have a high lye discount and when I'm using essential oils. What I do most of the time now, is to warm the oven up with the empty moulds inside so that they heat up and switch it off once I put the soap in. If I think the soap is still heating up too fast, then I open t;he oven door a bit. Good luck.

I have the same crafter's choice green mold as the OP and I'm glad you posted pictures! I made a loaf 2 days ago and popped in the oven and it did the same thing, with the exception of cracking down the middle. Mine didn't do that, but it did rise about a cm above the mold. I used lemongrass and lavender eo's. Guess I will not use the oven next time, maybe just a couple of towels. Oh, and I do not have an oven thermometer, I just put the oven down to the lowest at 170 and I haven't ever used castor yet. Thanks for the post! At least now I can figure out what my soap was doing!
Shannon H.

Latest posts

Back