SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there an advantage to use accelerating FOs? If so I gave a rose I would love to try.

1. FlybyStardancer
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!!
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.
7. Lisa Anne
8. Newbie- "So excited to use a PITA FO!" said no soaper ever. Until now!!!!
9. Wildcraft Garden - ooh I'm excited to try this out!
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
12. Judiraz- Ready to whip myself into a frenzy!
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary...
15. Serene- for the kitties.
16. Saponista - Do I dare try my nemesis FO Sugar Plum? There's no way I will be using it for anything else soap related so maybe I will risk it.....
17. Rowan - very scary, but I loove being scared...
18. Penelope Jane - When something is goin' wrong you must whip it.
19. dibbles - Found cheap mixer, will see what happens
20. Soapswirl - I'm sure I have a few pesky FOs to revisit...
21. Dixiedragon - my 2 previous challenge attempts have been a bust.
22. DeeAnna - Not sure where this challenge will take me, but I'm willing to follow along!

The advantage in this technique is just that you CAN use accelerating FOs. I'm trying to figure out all the variables but I had two batches where the batter stayed very stiff and pipable and two where I could see it deflating a little and it became creamier and more pourable. I am wondering if the creamier batches got a little warm from the FO and that decreased the bubbles in the oils. It would not have been possible to pipe those. If the FO is a heater, I think that would be a disadvantage if you wanted stiff enough batter to pipe or for your design. Most accelerators heat a bit so that would be my guess as to the disadvantage of using one over a well-behaved FO.

I should add that the creamier bars still float so it's not a deal-breaker.

Ohhhh so this is a boat challenge?

Unhappily, I have to admit, I don't see the appeal of whipped soap (except it makes me want bake something)

So, if your soap is going to float...make it useful! TOYS!!! (Maybe I could get our 8 yr old to take a bath. She's the girl version of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes)

Don't make me have to pipe something. Haven't done that in years.
Wait....what am I worried about? I'm not doing the challenge, right?

My soap has been whipped and molded and will reside in the fridge until I get home tomorrow afternoon.

1. FlybyStardancer
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!!
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.
7. Lisa Anne
8. Newbie- "So excited to use a PITA FO!" said no soaper ever. Until now!!!!
9. Wildcraft Garden - ooh I'm excited to try this out!
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
12. Judiraz- Ready to whip myself into a frenzy!
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary...
15. Serene- for the kitties.
16. Saponista - Do I dare try my nemesis FO Sugar Plum? There's no way I will be using it for anything else soap related so maybe I will risk it.....
17. Rowan - very scary, but I loove being scared...
18. Penelope Jane - When something is goin' wrong you must whip it.
19. dibbles - Found cheap mixer, will see what happens
20. Soapswirl - I'm sure I have a few pesky FOs to revisit...
21. Dixiedragon - my 2 previous challenge attempts have been a bust.*
22. DeeAnna - Not sure where this challenge will take me, but I'm willing to follow along!
23. Lionprincess- I think I'll be able to play along! Now onto brainstorming :problem:

Just finished my first try - a little 1 lb batch. One advantage to living in the cold northern climate is, unlimited refrigerator space :) My little soap loaf and two bars in a cavity mold are sitting on the porch, just chillin'.

ETA: I wanted to see if this technique would allow those elusive citrus EOs to stick. So I used a 50:50 blend of lemon (the one I find to be the most fleeting) and peru balsam. We'll see.

OK. I made one two pound batch and two different soaps. Both are in the fridge chilling. However, I have no idea if they ever reached trace. Does whipped soap actually reach trace? Trust me, I whipped the crud out of that stuff. I have never not gelled my soap before so this is weird for me. After almost three hours, I touched the top of the first mold I put in the fridge and it is still really soft--and greasy. When I washed it off my fingers, I got no suds at all. I videoed myself doing this process and after watching, I'm estimating I took at least two minutes to incorporate all of the lye into the lard. Then I mixed it for a few more minutes before dividing it to add the colorants. I just added the mica to the batter so I mixed longer than I normally would have to fully distribute the colorant throughout. Sooooo, the point is, if this wasn't a whipped soap to start with, I would have had soap on a stick with all of the mixing I did. I used 33.333% lye solution (my normal master batched solution). However, I have no idea if I will actually have soap or two molds full of lye-full lard (lardy lye?).

No, there isn't really anything so obvious as trace when you're making whipped soap. On the other hand, everything is so cold and thick that it's difficult for it to break!

It should be fine! :) Remember, whipped soaps are kept very cold, which means saponification will take longer, and thus it'll be longer for it to be zap-free. So long as there's not any obvious large amounts of weeping and separating, you should be fine.

Lenaree got me thinking about making floating soap look like a water thing, so I carved this bar and colored it to look like a whale. It's all superficial though and it will be a plain boring bare once the features come off. Still, it was fun to do!

Um, yeah, it would look better if a blurred it a bit.

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

Last edited:
I made a batch today via HP and it passed the test. It's unremarkable but I'll edit this post and post a pic soon. I'm just going to have to wait for a change in color if it happens.

Um, yeah, it would look better if a blurred it a bit.[/QUOTE]

Love your soap! I looked at pic before I read and thought "that looks like a fish!"

Latest posts

Back