SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. FlybyStardancer
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!!
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.
7. Lisa Anne

galaxyMLP;582435 I bought a $6 mixer at Walmart (that's what I'm using) that is dedicated to soaping. I also found a bag of 3 sets of mixing attachments at goodwill about 6 months later that I keep on rotation. I don't even have one that I use for food... I really should though! [/QUOTE said:
Cool beans - thanks! I'll check into that.

1. FlybyStardancer
7. Lisa Anne
8. Newbie- "So excited to use a PITA FO!" said no soaper ever. Until now!!!!

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!! <br />
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.<br />
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!<br />
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!<br />
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
9. Wildcraft Garden - ooh I'm excited to try this out!

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good':twisted:

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
12. Judiraz- Ready to whip myself into a frenzy!

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary... :-?

OKay, I tried this with a superfast floral and has loads of time. I forgot to decrease my oils so had extra batter. I added my floral only to the batter used for that so the left over was unscented. It was still in excellent shape so I tried BB's Marrakesh which is extremely difficult to soap at times. I was trying something new and using a spoon to get it into the mold and I have to say, the batter got very very stiff, almost crusty so I had to move to scrape the bowl and get it all out. Even though it moved, I still had time to try out my idea so I am super super happy to have a way to make soap with some of these FO's.

Thank you mentioning the old BB Ginger Pear, Carabou. I have just a bit left but it's such a bear that I haven't bothered with it for a long time. Looks like I will be whipping soap for the next few weeks. I have all these lovely scents to try out with this. And yes, we are on the same wavelength. I bought my bottle of Moroccan Fig up from the basement as well!

Galaxy, is it generally set in 24 hours and cut-able? I banged my mold on the counter a few times to try to get the batter all the way down and into the corners. Does that ruin its ability to float?

Last edited:
Kitchenaid stand mixer owners, one word of caution, you can't use it to whip up soap if you only have a stupid aluminum flat beater. I almost tried the one time I tried whipped soap about a year ago, caught myself just in time, avoiding a disaster. I know you folks are much more smarter and more ' present', but still I thought I would put this out there.
I'm not decided yet about entering the challenge but another trial is definitely happening, may be pretty soon.

Galaxy, is it generally set in 24 hours and cut-able? I banged my mold on the counter a few times to try to get the batter all the way down and into the corners. Does that ruin its ability to float?

Really glad your testing is going well!

Setting will depend on your recipe. Mine was still quite soft but I cut at ~18 hours. I suggest putting it in the fridge for ~8 hours and them moving it to room temp until it's been 24 hours total.

My soap is a week old now and it's still relatively soft, although zap free. I may have made a boo boo somewhere in measuring there of course. It's possible. I've never had my whipped soap stay this soft. It's usually hard after 2 days maximum.

Tamping down the mold will not ruin the whipping. The bubbles are so fine when whipped that they won't come out at all. You can see in my video that I bang my mold on the counter. It's really the only way to get it into the corners easily.

Edit: I take it back. My soap is not still soft. It just has a slight residue that my soaps only have when they are still soft so I figured they were. I just pressed them and it felt like they were ok!

Last edited:
1. FlybyStardancer<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
14. Arimara- Scary...
icon_confused.gif

15. Serene- for the kitties.

The way things have been going I don't think I'm going to sign up this month, but it looks pretty fun. I'll try to play along.

ETA: Also, if you're doing colorants could you just put them in with the hard oils?

Last edited:
If you want a solid-colored soap, there's no reason you can't put the colorants in, though I'd imagine it'd work better to disperse them in the liquid oils and add them then.

i just cut my soap from last night and see lots of small chunks of coconut oil in there. The stuff I get is very very hard and I have to use a knife to get it into usable pieces. My blender just chopped it up but didn't whip it. For my next go, I have melted it with some soft oils and will let it solidfy so that it's much softer and will actually whip. I am guessing my soap from last night will be lye heavy.

FYI, if you use a coconut oil that is very hard.

1. FlybyStardancer
7. Lisa Anne
14. Arimara- Scary...
15. Serene- for the kitties.
16. Saponista - Do I dare try my nemesis FO Sugar Plum? There's no way I will be using it for anything else soap related so maybe I will risk it.....

Latest posts

Back