SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where can I catch your vids?

Haha! Thats so funny! I had to look that up becasue I didnt know what it sounded like but its fits perfectly!

I tried to add royalty free music into my video but lets just say that didnt work very well. I decided to just leave it without!

I'm really glad you liked the video. This is only the second one I've done. But, I started really looking into what I liked/didn't like on soaping videos on youtube and I modeled it after ones I liked. I thought my first video (the one for the september challenge) was too jerky and all over the place. I taped my camera into the kitchen cabinet above my head for this tutorial.

It worked so surprisingly well that I decided to start filming myself regularly. I've filmed myself doing 5 soaps since then. I also have more time then I used to now for soaping so I thought this might be a good way to showcase me soaping/soaps.

On the note of filming myself, I wasnt able to make that HP castile whipped soap today as I forgot I had a new market to go to today. I will get to it tomorrow and post the video by saturday though!

Where can I see your videos? thanks!

I ran a test batch of 65% lard, 20 CO, 10% apricot and 5% castor. 1 oz of aloe gel to 14 oz of oil. Looked like whipped cream and 14 oz filled a 4 cup measuring cup to the brim. It looks like I won't be able to take a whole bar out of the rimmed mold until 36 hours at least though. These bars usually weigh in at 2.5 ounces and these are coming in right at 1.0.

This is going to be a fun technique and thank you for this challenge.

After reading some of these posts I may just HAVE TO get out the coco powder!

LOL.. you guys are funny. Thing is, the thought occurred to me, too. I am so uninspired with this challenge. I'm just not sure which direction to take. My first thought went to food related items...you know, whipping cream, frosting.... but I don't like soap that looks like food so I don't want to go there. My next thought was "what floats?" No inspiration there, either. Except for the poop... there's always that.

Now, I'm just not sure which way to go. Plain and simple? Coloured and swirly? Maybe this flu/cold bug is affecting my imagination but I can't think of anything inspiring at all.

I'VE GOT FLOATY SOAP!!! And it burns like a mutha! I finally got around to cleaning up the dishes from yesterday. They were in a plastic bag in the curing room. This is the stuff I scraped out of my piping bag. I've got a bunch of tiny cuts and abrasions from really dry skin and, to quote Elmer Fudd, "I'm on fiiiwwwaaah." I'm never going to refrigerate soap again! There is no heater in that room and so the soap probably didn't gel. This is my first winter batch of soap. Next time, I'll put my plastic bag of dirty dishes in the bathroom. I keep that room like a sauna. There's nothing worse than getting out of a hot shower into a cold room. Anyhoo, here's my floaty egg.

image.jpg

DeeAnna, you're a genius! Hammers, anvils, Jimmy Hoffa... The possibilities are endless.

Teresa -- My coffee cup is empty or I would have sprayed coffee all over my keyboard. You are a HOOT! :)

<... wandering off in search of cuppa number 2 ...>

Well, I returned after the weekend away. My whipped and molded soap was in the fridge for approximately 32 hours. I made a half-hearted attempt to unmold it but it was much to soft and zappy. I left it sitting overnight and was able to get it out of the mold and the freezer paper pulled off to give the whole thing more air exposure. Still too soft and zappy. I lost a few of the end corners as I was pulling it out of the mold, but I think it should be okay as my cutter has end trimming built into the distances between wires. Will see what it's like tonight when I get home. This just seems crazy to me that it's still soft and zappy!

As for the design, after whipping in the lye and realizing the batter was not going to be firm enough to sculpt, I let my daughter select the color. So I have a bright pink orchid soap! She's in love with the fragrance, and this is the first batch I've made with this FO that didn't turn to instant concrete. I was really surprised at the fluidity of the batter even after whipping it. I may try this again with my sister's standing mixer (I have a hand held), and see if the consistent rotation makes a difference to getting a more moldable batter. I couldn't have piped mine if I tried.

What percentage of soft oils did you use, AMD? Mine are hard as rocks within about 26 hours; I don't think I could cut them at that point without destroying them but my recipe is 95% hard oils.

Last edited:
Lenaree got me thinking about making floating soap look like a water thing, so I carved this bar and colored it to look like a whale. It's all superficial though and it will be a plain boring bare once the features come off. Still, it was fun to do!

Um, yeah, it would look better if a blurred it a bit.

That is amazing work! Colored how? AC and a brush?

So, my contribution to this challenged is fulfilled, right? (I can't find my piping supplies so I have no inspiration left)

That is amazing work! Colored how? AC and a brush?

So, my contribution to this challenged is fulfilled, right? (I can't find my piping supplies so I have no inspiration left)

I can tell that you haven't tried a small test batch (yet).
This stuff can be spread like frosting. No piping tools needed.
Hmmmm. Now there's an *Idea* .

This could turn in to something......

What percentage of soft oils did you use, AMD? Mine are hard as rocks within about 26 hours; I don't think I could cut them at that point without destroying them but my recipe is 95% hard oils.

I used 30% soft oils. Although looking back at the instructions... I didn't cool my lye so likely it started out a bit warmer than it should have. It was no longer zappy and not "squigy" last night so I cut it into bars. Eternally grateful for my new wire cutter. If I had had to do it by hand I would have binned the whole stinking mess. My daughter thinks my soap looks like pink marshmallow cakes. This was interesting to try but won't be anything I do again.

It turned out that my "failed" batch with 50% hard fats actually does float. It was very soft and not thick at all though so that was definitely interesting. It took 1.5 hours to get to a thick enough trace to allow me to pipe it. I did video myself doing it so I might post this one up. Maybe.

I made that one into cupcakes. The bottoms are not whipped so the whole cupcake does not float. Leftover bits that I poured into a hear shaped mold do float though.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1457458967.071591.jpg

Well I'm excited to try a technique I haven't done in about a year. I hope it works out. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I've premeasured and got my fo and colors ready. Hope it works out!

Back