SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're doing colorants could you just put them in with the hard oils?

I watched Soaping 101 regarding whipped soap after I watched Galaxy's video. The 101 lady just added her powdered colorants to the whipped soap batter and whipped it in. I was really surprised. But, as I watched, I surmised that you really can't over-whip the batter. You would just be putting more air into it and making a bigger batch out of your oils. Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. (Until the chemists tell me I'm wrong. :))

1. FlybyStardancer<br />
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!! <br />
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.<br />
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!<br />
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!<br />
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.<br />
7. Lisa Anne<br />
8. Newbie- "So excited to use a PITA FO!" said no soaper ever. Until now!!!!
9. Wildcraft Garden - ooh I'm excited to try this out!
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
12. Judiraz- Ready to whip myself into a frenzy!
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary...
icon_confused.gif

15. Serene- for the kitties.
16. Rowan - very scary, but I loove being scared...:grin:

i just cut my soap from last night and see lots of small chunks of coconut oil in there. The stuff I get is very very hard and I have to use a knife to get it into usable pieces. My blender just chopped it up but didn't whip it. For my next go, I have melted it with some soft oils and will let it solidfy so that it's much softer and will actually whip. I am guessing my soap from last night will be lye heavy.

FYI, if you use a coconut oil that is very hard.

I'm really sorry to hear that. :( This is going to be one of those things that is very temperature and oil (even supplier) dependent.

I watched Soaping 101 regarding whipped soap after I watched Galaxy's video. The 101 lady just added her powdered colorants to the whipped soap batter and whipped it in. I was really surprised. But, as I watched, I surmised that you really can't over-whip the batter. You would just be putting more air into it and making a bigger batch out of your oils. Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. (Until the chemists tell me I'm wrong. :))

Thats really neat! But, it makes total sense! Most powdered colorants are soluble in oil so it would make whipping it into the fat easy.

Its true that you can't over-whip the soap. However, there is a threshold that the fats/soap mix will reach and it wont get any bigger at that point. You just wont see it changing at that point anymore.

************************************************************************************

I tried to make whipped soap again today. This time with palm oil instead of lard (I've made my whipped soap with lard before but, I havent really tried it CP style all veggie). It was my typical recipe that is 40% palm, 10% Shea, and 5% coconut for the hard oils and 37% OO/8% castor for the liquid oils. This was basically at the threshhold of being able to be whipped. I could not get this soap to whip up properly even with waiting for it to thicken after adding the lye. I should have known when I pulled the cooled "hard oils" mix and at 68 degrees it was still semi-liquid. I would need to up the palm, coconut, or shea in this recipe for it to work better. I did get some whipping out of it but I can bet it was not enough to make it float.

Next time I would do:
60% Palm
15% shea
10% coconut
5% castor
10% Olive

Edit: Oh, and next time I wouldnt melt all the oils together like I did. I would just melt and temper the palm. Not the shea and coconut with it.

For those of you who are curious what my actual recipe in the video was:
78% lard
10% olive
5% Coconut
7% Castor

I know that recipe above works very well. I've also had success doing 60/40 lard/ olive so I know that lard recipes will work as low as 60%.

Last edited:
1. FlybyStardancer
2. Sonya-m - super excited to try this!!
3. amd - I have no idea what I've gotten myself into But I'm doing it.
4. traderbren - can't wait to whip it good!
5. Misschief - Oh, such fun!
6. Snappyllama - I cannot wait to try my hand at whipping up a batch.
7. Lisa Anne
8. Newbie- "So excited to use a PITA FO!" said no soaper ever. Until now!!!!
9. Wildcraft Garden - ooh I'm excited to try this out!
10. TeresaT - I've been wanting to try to make whipped soap but didn't know how. I'm out of 100% lard soap and need to make more. I can use clove EO again. This is perfect!
11. Steve85569 - I wasn't going to and then somebody said castille - and 'whip it good'
12. Judiraz- Ready to whip myself into a frenzy!
13. CaraBou - Grapefruit Lily! (and Ginger Pear and Moroccan Fig... to save the inevitable failures)
14. Arimara- Scary...
15. Serene- for the kitties.
16. Saponista - Do I dare try my nemesis FO Sugar Plum? There's no way I will be using it for anything else soap related so maybe I will risk it.....
17. Rowan - very scary, but I loove being scared...
18. Penelope Jane - When something is goin' wrong you must whip it. :)

I just filmed April's challenge. If it cuts nice, I'll be free to sign up this month! Never had an interest in whipped soap before, but you're video has definitely peaked my interest!!! I hope I will be able to sign up and play along!

i just cut my soap from last night and see lots of small chunks of coconut oil in there. The stuff I get is very very hard and I have to use a knife to get it into usable pieces. My blender just chopped it up but didn't whip it. For my next go, I have melted it with some soft oils and will let it solidfy so that it's much softer and will actually whip. I am guessing my soap from last night will be lye heavy.

FYI, if you use a coconut oil that is very hard.

I had that happen the first time I made whipped soap, so the next time I melted all of the hard oils together and chilled them to get them solidified again. It worked really well! No lumps at all.

I think I'm going to go for the melt everything together and chill method. My solid oils are all *very* solid right now, and I'm worried about getting CO unwhipped chunks. The house is pretty chilly until spring finally arrives (stupid lying gophers falsely prognosticating while I'm watching snow fall).

I tried with the CO plus castor melted and poured over my tallow. IT still got too hard in the bottom of the bowl and I was finding chunks so I melted the whole thing together (tons of tiny bubble emerged as it was melting which I found kind of fascinating since you can't see bubbles in any way in the fats) and am cooling it as well. I will melt together all my hard oils and let them cool for all my other attempts.

I realize that might be a crazy idea, but I'm going to try some heavy whipping cream for some of the liquid. Has anyone tried that?

I'm not sure why it would be risky. Heavy cream, milks, sour cream, yoghurt can all be added as part of liquid for soap. Using it with this method should protect the milk from burning as I've noticed the batter doesn't get hot and you can't gel. I agree about lowering the superfat of the rest of the recipe or calculating the amount of fat in the cream and accounting for it in a lye calculator. I will be really interested to hear what happens. I would add the cream directly to the fats so it gets whipped and then add a stronger concentration of lye separately. I personally would use a 1:1 lye:water solution and add the balance of the liquid as cream to the oils. I wouldn't add the cream to the lye solution.

I'm not sure why it would be risky. Heavy cream, milks, sour cream, yoghurt can all be added as part of liquid for soap. Using it with this method should protect the milk from burning as I've noticed the batter doesn't get hot and you can't gel. I agree about lowering the superfat of the rest of the recipe or calculating the amount of fat in the cream and accounting for it in a lye calculator. I will be really interested to hear what happens. I would add the cream directly to the fats so it gets whipped and then add a stronger concentration of lye separately. I personally would use a 1:1 lye:water solution and add the balance of the liquid as cream to the oils. I wouldn't add the cream to the lye solution.
It's worth a try I think. :) could be interesting. Going for super fluffy. Thanks again for advise, I will use it.

LisaAnne, I think that would be a great idea to try! :) I also agree with reducing the SF for that batch since whipping cream is almost all fat.

You can see in my video that I added the milk/honey in after I added my solid fats, whipped them and added my oils. You don't have to do that. I agree with newbie that you should add it in with the hard fats in this case since you want to whip the cream as well.

I tried the cream and it totally changed the texture. I still like it, kind of a thick creamy pudding. Next I think I will beat it separately. I'm sure it will float. Was very easy to work with. Will definitely try it again, especially if the soap texture feels nice.

20160302_224333.jpg

I had that happen the first time I made whipped soap, so the next time I melted all of the hard oils together and chilled them to get them solidified again. It worked really well! No lumps at all.

That's what you do for whipped body butter of hard shea, cocoa butter &/or CO, so that makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip.

I'm thinking this is a great technique to use for designs that need sculpting. It's worth a try anyway!

I did say in my head. :p Just like some ideas sound absolutely great or dreadful until they are put to action, I won't truly know if this is a good way to go until it is done. I have to see someone do it or at worst, do it my self.

I think folding the cream into the oils may help you, LisaAnne

Latest posts

Back