SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to post my first stab at this ... which was not a real attempt ... yeah that's right, I was just checking usage rates. Yep, usage rates. Definitely did not attempt a real entry. *cough*

70% soybean oil and 30% coconut made for a good white base. Very, very slow as well. Scented with Black Sea from Aztec which is a nice slow, clear FO. And strong! Also, the name is *Black* Sea. Har har. I cut the bars today even though they're still soft, just to see my progress.

I totally agree that black and white don't hide ANY flaws. Also, if you are attempting to layer, don't be too impatient for the soap to thicken, and end up with your top layer sinking through to your bottom layer. Also, black and white really REALLY want to become grey.

This was supposed to be tiger stripes at a tilt, then an ITP swirl on top. Instead it was tiger stripes which sunk to the bottom, then an accidental drop swirl, then more improvised tiger stripes from the other side, topped off with a muddled grey ITP swirl. Oh yeah then I also pulled a hanger through it. Because why not.

They're still cool little fat bars for my personal stash. But back to the drawing board!

Nk3YoFu.jpg

Last edited:
1.TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)

2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)

3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

5. Obsidian- this is one I can do lol

6. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

7. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

8. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!

9. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

10. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person

11. rainycityjen - all in

12. Sweetbubbletreat

13. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

14. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!

15. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

16. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

17. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

18. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.

19. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.

20. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

21. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

22. McGraysoldtowngifts

23. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

24. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?

25. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??

26. Songwind - I'm in.

27. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time

28. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺

29. Seven - i think this one i can do

30. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

6. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

7. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

9. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

12. Sweetbubbletreat

15. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

16. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

21. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

22. McGraysoldtowngifts

23. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

26. Songwind - I'm in.

29. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

30. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

31. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

I love black and white, excited to try this one. I haven't used charcoal yet and want to try it.

Saponista.....what size was your batch and how much charcoal did you use? I want to make sure I get a good black and not gray.

I'm not Saponista and she will tell you what she did, I know, but some people use 1 tsp PPO of AC and some use 2 tsp PPO. Trying to get black without having gray lather is the goal generally and so I think how much you use depends on how much black is in your soap. If your base and most of the soap is black, you can end up adding enough charcoal that it gives a slightly grainy feeling to the soap, which isn't that pleasant. If it's an accent or only a portion of your soap, you can be a bit more generous with the AC without affecting the feel.

I add enough AC to make the batter inky black, oily black. That gives a very deep black. Sometimes I will color the batter and then add a touch more AC (I use water or oil to mix it first. I don't add it as a powder) and see if I can see that bit as I mix it in. If I can see it swirling as I mix, that means my black could be blacker. Then you have to choose if you add more based on your gut and how much that portion is for your overall soap. I sometimes think it looks black enough to find in the end, it's very dark gray. The add- a- touch -more method helps prevent that but I don't always do it when I should.

Sometimes you will get a dark dark gray that is perfectly acceptable. I however, feel disappointed when I put that up against one of my truly black soaps. I'll try to post a pic of the difference.

Last edited:
Here is a black and white I did a couple months ago. I used a tsp of AC mixed in a little aloe juice (it was an alt. liquid challenge). The batch size was 785 grams, and I split it about 1/3 black and 2/3 white.

The black looks true to me, and the suds are a bit off white - but that does not bother me. And AC actually will come out of washcloths, where black oxide will stain.

20151011_141951.jpg

Thanks, that gives me an idea of where to start. What I have in mind is an equal blk/white design instead of mostly black. Similar to kchaystack's photo....I love that!

I have been asked to clarify exactly what I mean by no grey to make it easier for people to work out if their soaps qualify. I thought the best way was to give you some examples.

The first two soap pictures in the post are unacceptable. The first beacause lots of mixing has occurred and there are separate distinct sections which are definitely grey. The second soap is unacceptable as the soapmaker has deliberately chosen to mix a grey colour in their design.

Sometimes, where the white layer of soap is thin, the black colour may be visible through the soap looking a little grey (soap pic number 3) so this is acceptable. Soaps in pictures 4 and 5 are examples of other acceptable soaps. I also realise that certain techniques will inevitably produce a small amount of mixing which is allowed.

If you are unsure whether your soaps qualify then please feel free to send me a message with a picture attached. I am happy to help.

unacceptable1.jpg

unacceptable2.jpg

acceptable1.jpg

acceptable2.jpg

acceptable3.jpg

I have only just seen your post deedles, I make a 920g batch, but I tend to just measure my charcoal by eye. I wanted a really black black as it was for design purposes rather than function and I don't mind grey lather so I used about 4 teaspoons of a/c in half the batter. I tend to go by eye though as newbie described really nicely and don't stop until I have a really oily black.

Thanks for the reply, I like the 'by eye' process!

Is activated charcoal something I can find locally or do I need to order it from a soapy supplier? The only charcoal I'm familiar with is the stuff I used to use in aquarium filters!

I have always ordered mine on line but you may be able to find powdered activated charcoal locally. Maybe a pharmacy (as a detoxifier?) or an art store. Or you can take your activated charcoal from an aquarium store or greenhouse and thoroughly process it in a coffee grinder or food processor or mortar and pestle. I don't know if you will be able to grind it well enough though. The stuff I have is extremely fine powder and a total mess when you get it on your hands or loose anywhere. It does make an excellent black though.

I found the Internet to be the best option for me. It is doing the rounds as a fashionable tooth whitener at the moment, so it is quite overpriced on eBay so be wary of buying the over priced ultra fine grade stuff (I think it may just be a marketing ploy to justify the price) but also look out that you don't buy granular by accident.

I have always ordered mine on line but you may be able to find powdered activated charcoal locally. Maybe a pharmacy (as a detoxifier?) or an art store. Or you can take your activated charcoal from an aquarium store or greenhouse and thoroughly process it in a coffee grinder or food processor or mortar and pestle. I don't know if you will be able to grind it well enough though. The stuff I have is extremely fine powder and a total mess when you get it on your hands or loose anywhere. It does make an excellent black though.

Well shoot....I guess I'll have to go shopping! :thumbup:

I do remember how messy the chunky aquarium stuff was so I really don't think trying to pulverize it will do my kitchen any good! Looks like BB ships theirs in jars, sounds good to me.

First idea busted before I even started. I thought these cute hearts were going to be whiter but they have definitely turned more of an ivory. Sigh... Back to the drawing board.

1451542426980.jpg

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

12. Sweetbubbletreat

22. McGraysoldtowngifts

26. Songwind - I'm in.

29. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

31. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

32. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month

I love B&W (and gray) soaps but am not a fan of colored lather. So I'll be working on finding the sweet spot for an AC usage rate. I wouldn't mind producing a batch or two with gray lather, but the design I have in mind will likely take several tries before I will figure out whether I can pull it off or not. Even this soap with minimal black - which I made a few months ago - colors the lather.

tads scentless 1.JPG

How much AC did you use in that soap, Carabou? I just tried my deep black soap that I posted and the lather is snowy white. How hard is the recipe you use? I think that affects it because the harder the bar, the less soap dissolves while in use, so a softer bar will produce lather from more soap, if you get what I mean. Did you use an oxide with AC to make that black? It seems like it just shouldn't color the lather with that amount of black streaking in it.

Jules, those hearts look perfect. Against black, they would probably look whiter and I would bet a slight ivory and black might be acceptable for the challenge. If someone chooses to use white mica, it will make a more ivory type white so...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back