SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)
2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)
3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)
4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
5. Obsidian- this is one I can do lol
6. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
7. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
8. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!
9. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
10. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person
11. rainycityjen - all in
12. Sweetbubbletreat
13. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
6. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here
7. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W
9. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
14. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
15. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
15. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...
16. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
16. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing
17. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
18. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
19. Mcgraysoldtowngifts - would like to enter the challenge

Easy peasy, MGOTG -- Just copy the existing list of names, paste it into a new message, and add your name to the bottom. I'll do it for you this first time --

Wups. Steve beat me to it. In any case, that's how you do it.

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
20. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome. :)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!
12. Sweetbubbletreat
20. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome. :)
21. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

Thanks for the compliment kchaystack, it's amazing what a bit of cleaning up can do to a soap. I wasn't happy with them really. I forgot that when I pulled the dividers out I would have less batter so the marks I put on my hanger as a guide were too far apart so my swirling isn't even. Then I had to unmould early as I was going away, but used vanilla cream fragrance which makes the soap softer for some reason so my bars were squishy so I had to put them in the oven for a bit to harden them up! I was going to make a harder more evenly swirled one but I thought it would have to do so everyone got a chance to start soaping early :)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

12. Sweetbubbletreat

19. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.

20. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

21. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

22. McGraysoldtowngifts

Last edited by a moderator:
Black is the absence of any color so you're inthe clear, Penelope. You just have to put in magic activated charcoal to erase all the color. ;)

I had my first bust. WIll post pics later but have to get the dog to the vets.

Great tut @Saponista!
Easy to follow, good instructions and a clear (and lovely might I add) voice that was not muddled with loud background music. Thank you:)

Saponista -- I'm with the others and want to say you did a very, very good video.

It's very clear, to-the-point, well lit, nicely laid out visually, and well organized. Your voice, to my midwestern American ear, is lovely and easy to listen to. You knew to fast forward through the boring bits, but you didn't gloss over the method -- you showed the entire process for those of us like me who would not know about all the steps in a decorative technique.

I really appreciated that you explained the importance of doing the final swirl evenly and precisely, and went on to explain the purpose of adding the tape markers to the sides of your hanger tool. That was super helpful! You took the time to share the "whys" as well as show the "how to". That's something I appreciate -- I need to understand why things are done a particular way before I can do a technique with confidence.

AND you made a beautiful soap! You know the troubles you had with it and you know what you do like and don't like about it, so your perception is colored by all those thoughts and memories. Thankfully, the rest of us have the luxury of just appreciating the end result, and it is lovely!

Back