SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omigosh, thanks everyone!

This was the hardest challenge to date... the voting was a nightmare with so many fabulous entries. Really.

Mintle, the adorable, precise dots and the restraint at not cluttering up the entire top with them while echoing the motif in the bottom layer. The amazingly straight middle layer. Just Perfect.
Carabou. Seriously. You made a zebra. Drawing a zebra would be a challenge, but making one in soap?? Wow.
LionPrincesss. It looks like a filigree lace Rorshock test. I don't even know how you did that...
MySoapyHeart. You made a tree! Seriously, a tree?!?! Fantastic!
Mischief. You did a Taiwan with flecks of contrasting color specks. Lovely!
Newbie. It's Jack Skeleton sculpture. How the heck did you make that?!?! My teenager was swooning when she saw that one, and I cannot get the "Here comes Halloween" song out of my head.
Sonya-m. You called your entry a "simple hanger swirl". Bah. It's gorgeous and ain't nothing simple about getting a beautiful butterfly hanger swirl like that (my hanger is envious).
McGraysoldtowngifts. Your entry is like a stormy sea mixed with inky black. Lovely!
JuneP. The color blocking inside the soap is such a cool idea. I love the top. I would have swirled it into a gray blob mess, but you left it looking like ivy leaves. Perfect!
BlackDog. Your soap looks like a kimono and you perfectly matched the white from a previous batch for your embeds. Nice!
Luebella. It's like a cross section of a dwarven mountain mine with incredibly distinct colors.
KristaY. You pulled out ebru. One of the hardest techniques not to muddy up and ended up with clear, gorgeous design. Jealous.
Judiraz. i want you to make me an exact replica in a hard surface so I can have it in my house. It's marble. It's a tree. It's a marble tree.
Steve85569. Lovely framing and use of embeds... I cannot decide if it looks a cuneiform tablet or leaves falling. Either way, lovely.
Wildcraft_Garden. I could look at your soap and pick out images all day. You're totally wrong about the map one though. It's a fairy running from a bird. And the top on is an egret or maybe it's a...
QueenBeeSoap. Wow, you achieved such a stark contrast and groovy pattern. Love it.
topofmurrayhill. I'm just going to say it. I adored your entry. A LOT.
dibbles. Loved your butterfly. The lines are so delicate! Butterflies are the bane of my soaping endevours.
SweetBubbleTreat. It's like a gemstone. The white is practically glowing. The effect of leaving the CO uncolored is amazing, and I'm totally going to steal (er, borrow) it.
jules92207. Hearts would have been lovely, but you went and added soaping wings to them. Swoon...
amd. You made one of those water/sand frame things where you flip it and the sand runs down to form new patterns. At least that's what it reminds me of. Just lovely.
doriettefarm. You made black and White batik looking print. In soap. Super cool.
Cactuslily. Maybe you didn't get the white you were after, but the feathered design is gorgeous.
Rowan. I really, really love this soap. Like, a lot. Just saying...
Seawolfe. The graceful swirls falling into the layer of black at the bottom, lovely.
DeeAnna. The black you got from adding a touch of blue ultramarine is fantastic. I love the delicacy of the swirls. One of my favorites!
SunWolf. You made a domino design that actually looks like dominos. Really cool.
jade-15. I love the contrasting design with tendrils on each side. How the heck did you not move the center line while swirling? Are you a witch?
penelopejane. Okay, that's just cool. DH was all "why don't you make soap like that?". He has a point...
TBandCW. Sigh. So pretty. Sigh. You knew exactly when to put down the chopstick and walk away. Just lovely.

Wow, snappy. Just WOW! What a beautiful synopsis of each and every entry. Thank you for taking the time to perfectly describe all the lovely entries and I couldn't agree more with everything you said! You sweetie, you.:smile:

And your entry??? A modified helix??? Seriously blew my mind. Everytime I go back and look at it I just shake my head because it's that amazing. Very well deserved 1st place spot and I think you deserve a tiara. Gold and jewel encrusted of course. Or maybe black titanium and white gold....:lol:

Snappy, You Rock!!!

Congrats to all the entrants and the winners definitely took black and white to a new level. I think this was the hardest challenge so far. My hubby loves all the b&w soaps I did, but I think I'm done for awhile. Back to some color!

Aw Snappy, how incredibly sweet of you to take the time to comment on each one of the entries. Lots of beautiful soaps were created in this challenge. Yours was stunning.

Well done to the winners. Your soaps were amazingly beautiful and you all deserved to win! Thanks Snappy for your wonderful comments, they really touched my heart. Absolutely awesome soaps everyone, I really wish I could have voted for everyone!

I really like your soap, Spice, it looks beautifull! The combination of the scent sounds really lovely too.
(Is it wrong of me thinking your soap reminds me of delishious white chocolate and licorice? Nomnom... :mrgreen: )
Thanks, no its not wrong,:cool:
The scent didnt do to well, for some reason the scent it mild.

snappy - I enjoyed reading your synopsis of everyone's entries just as much as I enjoyed looking at all of them! And yeah, I totally meant for mine to resemble a batik print NOT . . . I'll take the compliment and run with it anyway ;) I also had to chuckle when I cut the soap I made yesterday. It was mocking me and whispering 'I would have been a perfect entry for the Nov challenge'!

I'm curious what Snappy thought of mine, if anything

Oh jeepers, sorry I must accidentally overwritten it while taking notes in notepad on my other monitor. I hope I didn't miss anyone else. If I did it was completely unintentional.

Your soap reminds me of asian characters - the swirls swoop and stop abruptly. There is no way I could replicate that. How the heck did you do it? Was it thick batter? Looking at it, I was thinking a spoon swirl maybe to break up the black; it's totally not like other drop swirls I've seen.

Oh jeepers, sorry I must accidentally overwritten it while taking notes in notepad on my other monitor. I hope I didn't miss anyone else. If I did it was completely unintentional.

Your soap reminds me of asian characters - the swirls swoop and stop abruptly. There is no way I could replicate that. How the heck did you do it? Was it thick batter? Looking at it, I was thinking a spoon swirl maybe to break up the black; it's totally not like other drop swirls I've seen.

Oh gosh, I'm just glad you actually thought at all about it

it was actually really really thin, I did high and low pours and alternated it with the white, I remember being afraid to even move it too fast to take it to the oven because it might blur into grey, so I didn't drag anything through it

Back