SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just talking to the hubs about this challenge, and he reminded me we have a whole drum of AC downstairs from one of his jobs. He kept it for our now defunct saltwater aquarium.

I think I'm going to try this with my face soap recipe.

newbie, I can't really answer your question about how much AC I used because it was from a masterbatched AC/oil premix that I don't have ratios for. As for recipe, I typically soap with 40-50% lard, 20-25% CO and the rest in soft oils. But this batch did turn out soft for some unknown reason. Maybe I mismeasured something or possibly used too much CA. I can't find my soapcalc page to check anything. We'll just have to chalk it up to soap gremlins.

Jules, those hearts look perfect. Against black, they would probably look whiter and I would bet a slight ivory and black might be acceptable for the challenge. If someone chooses to use white mica, it will make a more ivory type white so...

The hearts do have Winter White from Nurture in them, I think the champagne fo gave it a slight ivory tint but you might be right, it might be ok in the black. I think I will give it a shot but maybe have a backup plan just in case they don't look quite white enough in the end. What's another batch of soap, right?!

I just did my first try earlier tonight. My black moved way faster than my white so I have a feeling my swirl is non existent! Happy new year's everyone!

let you guys see my first failed attempt

salt bar, the white is kaolin clay, the black is black oxide and alkanet infused oil

I was trying to get an even divide I could swirl back and forth across but well

I appear to have failed at both the divide and the swirling

tumblr_o09mfr44sn1rcpo9po1_540.jpg

let you guys see my first failed attempt

salt bar, the white is kaolin clay, the black is black oxide and alkanet infused oil

I was trying to get an even divide I could swirl back and forth across but well

I appear to have failed at both the divide and the swirling

tumblr_o09mfr44sn1rcpo9po1_540.jpg
That's exactly what happened to me tonight. I'll see how the cut turns out, but I'm guessing terrible. [emoji53]

I bought and attempted to use the fish filter activated charcoal and put it in one of those infomercial blenders, it doesn't work. It gets close but you have to mortar and pestle it the rest of the way. It's easier to buy it. But I still use the charcoal in a foot scrub soap with pumice and rhassoul clay...,. It just so happens I always make that one black and white.

I tried #2 this morning. Had my husband gloved and ready to help with the complicated pour that I spent 45 minutes setting up this morning. Fragrance oil seized, lol. Cue stream of profanity. Lesson learned I guess!

So excited to get some soap made tomorrow!! Haven't made a single bar since the 23rd September!! That's way too long!!

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)

2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)

3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

5. Obsidian- this is one I can do lol

6. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

7. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

8. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!

9. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

10. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person

11. rainycityjen - all in

12. Sweetbubbletreat

13. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

14. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!

15. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

16. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

17. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

18. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.

19. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.

20. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

21. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

22. McGraysoldtowngifts

23. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

24. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?

25. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??

26. Songwind - I'm in.

27. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time

28. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺

29. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

30. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

31. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

32. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month

33. mintle - I am in!!

I tried #2 this morning. Had my husband gloved and ready to help with the complicated pour that I spent 45 minutes setting up this morning. Fragrance oil seized, lol. Cue stream of profanity. Lesson learned I guess!

Yup. Been there. It's one of those what the .......? Moments that soap does.

I could post a pic of my first attempt but suffice to say I am waiting on some TD to get the white real. I did learn that a little AC goes a long way and I want to use less black batter than white.

It seems so simple. What could go wrong? Right?

My first attempt wasn't as terrible as I thought, I'll save it in case I don't get a chance to try again.

On the upside I made a second loaf last night and once my black AC thickened up too much I changed plans and added another colour to some of the white to make some soap for my own use. I finally got a good drop swirl! Not all was lost.

92319949e0f5724e2fccf68ad25cab32.jpg

Last edited:
I had my AC batter get much thicker than my white yesterday. I know having it sit for a period of time in water helps, as the AC absorbs the water and then is less likely to thicken your soap, but yesterday I didn't use enough water. I made it kind of pudding like because I was using a low water recipe. I've been trying to figure out exactly what to do with AC to prevent it from tracing faster than TD and so far it seems like having it sit in enough water to make it fluid helps, as does making a fluid slurry with oil. I still get caught short sometimes though.

First attempt is in the mold. I went a Lil buck wild. No idea what to expect ;p

Latest posts

Back