SMF April 2022 Soap Challenge - Straight Line design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too funny, @MellonFriend since I have a sample of that color from Nurture, but didn't even think about it when mentioning the Cheshire Cat tool. I'll try to be more specific so y'all know which one I'm talking about in the future. šŸ˜

TBH, the Cheshire Cat wasn't something I needed at all. But it only cost me a net $7 after calculating the savings it created by getting me to the free shipping minimum on the rest of the order. For that price, I'm happy to give it a storage spot on top of my soap cabinets. But if you are short on space, be aware that this item doesn't store easily due to the shape.

Made an attempt at the challenge today. As usual I had a very hard time deciding on colors. Itā€™s such a struggle for me. Then getting the colors I decide on to look like I envisioned in the end product. Ugh! Canā€™t wait to cut it. Iā€™m expecting Iā€™ll be trying again, becauseā€¦you knowā€¦colors! šŸ˜‚

Made an attempt at the challenge today. As usual I had a very hard time deciding on colors. Itā€™s such a struggle for me. Then getting the colors I decide on to look like I envisioned in the end product. Ugh! Canā€™t wait to cut it. Iā€™m expecting Iā€™ll be trying again, becauseā€¦you knowā€¦colors! šŸ˜‚
i just cut last nights attempt. I knew it was ruined as i poured it so i grabbed the hanger and swirled the bottom couple of layers. Its not terrible but i knew i wasnt cutting a challenge soap.

Thank you @AliOop for telling me about the sodium citrate. I recalculated my recipe to make it a smidge larger than my normal recipe, then was annoyed with myself for forgetting to recalculate for the citric acidā€¦.sodium citrate to the rescue!! No recalculating the lye.

i also beveled two batches of soap. I am addicted to the plantation router. It even makes ugly soaps look better.

And i ALSO unpacked my wsp order, and the 120x120 seem a little big for my ts bars. But i am cutting them at 1.25ā€, so they really might not be too tall at all, but i wonder if anybody used these? How do the shrink wrap edges look? I really really like the idea of the perforation to open the soap easier. I hope these work out for me. I am in love with everything about them so far, without actually trying them out yet.

I made my first attempt a few days ago. šŸ˜« After doing all the math, the layers I wanted made batches too small for me to comfortably stick blend. Decided to do 2 layers at a time to emulsion and cross my fingers. The non-accelerating FO accelerated. Then my second batch of 2 layers moved from emulsion to medium trace in a split second. Once I started the 3rd batch and found my additional liquid still in the container, it made sense. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø The cut isn't horrible, I expected much worse, and I have 1 or 2 bars that I'll use if I can't manage a better attempt before closing.

I'm not entering the Challenge but I just wanted to show off my first attempt at a straight line soap, which went a bit wonky! It's harder than it looks to get straight lines, loving the above soap pics!

Attachments

• 275264211_10158076515220793_146699800600611925_n.jpg
    275264211_10158076515220793_146699800600611925_n.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 69
1. Mobjack - time to break out the level!
2. Jersey Girl- This will be fun! Okā€¦where are you @AliOop? Time to break out that Cheshire Cat!
3. AliOop - I'm here! I'm in!
4. Primrose - did someone say Cheshire Cat??
5. Vicki C. - This looks tricky but Iā€™ll try it!
6. Heather McClain- hopefully will get my entry in on time this time
7. Mx6inpenn - sounds like straight up fun
8. Catscankim - I'm in, I love layers
9. The_Phoenix - ok

I might have a chance to make soap over Easter, if I do I'll sign up and have a go at this!
@szaza quick question - are mica lines between layers ok? (Or cocoa powder, AC etc)
I notice one of the linked videos uses them, so I'd assume so but just want to check. I'm not totally sure yet if my design needs them, of course!

I'm not entering the Challenge but I just wanted to show off my first attempt at a straight line soap, which went a bit wonky! It's harder than it looks to get straight lines, loving the above soap pics!
Iā€™m not entering either because I donā€™t have time nor do I have 50 Posts. However, I made a pretty good Rainbow Soap about a year or two ago. Turned out quite nicely after a couple of attempts. I hope everyone has fun and enjoy the experience. Blessings!

Attachments

• 5D76CC61-3311-43F3-929C-CCDE96743059.png
    5D76CC61-3311-43F3-929C-CCDE96743059.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 43
I might have a chance to make soap over Easter, if I do I'll sign up and have a go at this!
@szaza quick question - are mica lines between layers ok? (Or cocoa powder, AC etc)
I notice one of the linked videos uses them, so I'd assume so but just want to check. I'm not totally sure yet if my design needs them, of course!

You can use mica lines - the no extra techniques rule is for within the layers (so no itp swirl layers etc). However, the mica line doesn't count as a layer nor as an extra color šŸ˜‰

As a supporting member, the post requirement is waived. Also, you have 109 posts (messages), so you would be eligible to join if you find the time.
Thatā€™s Great to hear! However, my Nieceā€™s Daughter informed me that she has a week of Vacation and she plans to spend it at my Home!šŸ˜³ Thatā€™s after Plans of my BFF coming for 10 Days. Thatā€™s 17 Days of Guests and therefore, not making soap! I need The Break but now that I know that I can actually Enter, I will in the coming Challenges! Blessings!!!

You can use mica lines - the no extra techniques rule is for within the layers (so no itp swirl layers etc). However, the mica line doesn't count as a layer nor as an extra color šŸ˜‰

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. šŸ˜
Fingers crossed I'm actually able to soap this weekend - I'll need to be in less pain than I am today for that to happen though. šŸ™

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. šŸ˜
Fingers crossed I'm actually able to soap this weekend - I'll need to be in less pain than I am today for that to happen though. šŸ™
Sorry to hear you're in pain! I hope you'll feel better soon and you'll be able to do things you enjoy like making soapšŸ˜‰

Sorry to hear you're in pain! I hope you'll feel better soon and you'll be able to do things you enjoy like making soapšŸ˜‰

Thank you, it's part of my normal and was somewhat expected after a trip to the grocery store. I've taken my painkillers now that I've eaten, so hopefully I'll be more functional by morning.

However, I've just heard that a litter of 7 week old foster kittens (we're tentatively planning to keep one of the 3) is arriving tomorrow rather than next week, so I might end up being a bit too distracted to make soap this weekend! šŸ˜

(Before anyone jumps in, I do know it's ideal to keep them with mummy for a few more weeks whenever possible, but unfortunately in rescue we can't always persuade owners to keep them for long once they've started eating, coz that costs money... At least mummy will be spayed now so no more oopsie litters, and the kittens are coming to rescue rather than being sold at this age or younger which often happens, so if they do need extra attention or supplemental feeding, we have the resources to do that.)

Latest posts

Back