Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...adding a soft oil at trace would be less prone to saponification, because much of the lye is already used up..../QUOTE]

This might seem reasonable at first blush, but this idea isn't supported by Kevin Dunn's lab experiments and also by my practical experience. If the lye was mostly used up at trace, by definition I should have mostly soap in my soap pot at that point.

I don't. Finished sodium soap is definitely nothing like the lye-heavy pudding-y mixture heating up in my soap pot.

Trace is only a visual indicator of viscosity (thickness). It is telling you the oil-water emulsion has become stabilized by the first soap molecules that have formed, so you can stop stirring. The mixture is a long ways away from being completely reacted into soap.

If the lye was mostly used up at trace, there would be no point to cooking a hot process soap, insulating a CP soap, or preventing CP heating by putting the soap in the fridge. All of those techniques are methods of controlling the energy created by the increasing rate of reaction of the lye with the fats.

Temperature -- a measure of energy -- is a far better indicator of the completeness of the saponification reaction. At the time of trace, the temperature has only risen a degree or three, indicating the saponification is just getting started. The temperature will continue to rise and remain elevated above room temperature for hours after "trace", which means the lye reaction continues for at least that long.

(Even if you put the soap into the fridge, the soap will continue to give off heat energy, but the cold air removes the heat from the soap before much of a temperature rise occurs.)

The bottom line is that the rate of reaction of a specific "superfat" oil is not going to be much different if you add the oil to your pot at the beginning or if you wait 10-20 minutes until you have trace.

--DeeAnna

Reference: KM Dunn, Scientific Soapmaking, Clavicula Press, 2010.

I wanted to post an update, because my initial results with this have improved. :D To recap from that, on 1/31 I asked for advice because my soap was still modelling-clay soft after 7 days. For the record, I'm certain I did something to screw this up (maybe I mis-measured my water?) but I have no clue what.

Well, I decided that evening that I didn't have much to lose, so I wanted to slice it up as well as I could to help promote drying. And it just got goopier. :razz: So instead I chunked it up and tossed it into the crock pot, and gave it a cook. It took barely any time at all to get smooth and vaseline-y, so I glopped it back into a PVC mold. Less than 12 hours later, it was already more firm than my previous attempt had been, and 24 hours after I remolded, I was able to remove the soap and slice it. It was still soft, but not nearly as soft as it was!

I let it cure for about 2.5 weeks, and then decided to test it, to see if it was going to be soapy. I took the thin end piece - which was harder than the rest - and tried it on my hair in the shower. I was amazed to find it bubbled - not like shampoo, but a good, low bubble - and my hair was super clean AND soft.

Let me just say here - I have horrible, horrible water. Our water is literally tea-colored when it comes out of the tap. And it's "city" water! Soap almost always feels scummy to me, but I had no issues with this. Also, I've always had to use conditioner, because regular shampoos leave my hair feeling stripped and tangly. Again, not with this! My hair was clean, but very few tangles, and soft - not dry. I did have a slight problem with frizz, but I'm used to that, and a little bit of frizz serum worked wonders. I've used it four times since then, haven't touched conditioner, and I'm still pleased.

Thanks again for sharing a great recipe, that obviously can withstand even my silly mistakes!:p

Let me just say here - I have horrible, horrible water. Our water is literally tea-colored when it comes out of the tap. And it's "city" water!

Wait what, city water is brown? That sounds like a serious sewer problem! Do you have some kind of filter? I'm glad your shampoo bar finally came out but the water quality concernes me, maybe it's rusty pipes?

Wait what, city water is brown? That sounds like a serious sewer problem! Do you have some kind of filter? I'm glad your shampoo bar finally came out but the water quality concernes me, maybe it's rusty pipes?

Trust me, concerns me as well! But yes, it's city water, albeit a small city. And all of the water quality reports come back "good". Most of the surrounding cities had the same water issues, but they installed RO systems to take care of it. Our small city only just switch to a contracted public works/water department to try to save money, and they project an RO system by the end of next year.

I was born and raised south of Detroit, and we had clear, beautiful, awesome tasting tap water. Same in northern Michigan. When I moved down to the Gulf Coast, I was appalled at the water. It tastes icky, it looks icky, and it feels icky. I've overheard people in stores who were down here visiting family complain about the water, so you just have to know it's killing what little tourism we might have!

In order to filter the water, we'd have to do a whole house system, and that's out of the budget for now. Well, that, and there is literally NO place to put one, since the washer, dryer, and water heater take up every square inch of the laundry room. :lol: FWIW, we don't drink it - I have a water cooler, and we refill 5gal jugs at the Culligan-type machine. I only use tap water for washing, and I'll cook with it as long as whatever I'm doing will boil the water.

Yanno, the "conventional wisdom" is that CP soap is definitely bad stuff for hair. OTOH, I have been using my version of Genny's shampoo recipe for about 2 weeks now, and I'm just not seeing the dire consequences others warn about.

My fine, wavy, shoulder length hair is soft and manageable. Low humidity does not make my hair static-y and "fly away". The commercial conditioner I had been using lavishly to keep my hair manageable after washing with commercial shampoo is almost too heavy for my hair now. I've cut back to using it only every 2-3 days.

I know my grandmother, born in 1898, used soap, not shampoo, on her hair -- I imagine most women of her age would have done the same -- and her hair was always lovely. My personal experience and my memories of my grandmother fly in the face of today's "conventional wisdom". So what's the deal, I'm wondering......???

I have been using Genny's original recipe with only 1 change (I didn't have avocado oil, sub-ed almond) and have been using it for 3 weeks now. I love it. I have been using the ACV rinse once a week or so, but do like the idea of using lemon juice better. I had wondered about that but had not gotten around to asking anyone yet. I do tend to use a conditioner I made from the recipe on Bramble Berry, trying to combat the tendency my hair has to dry out. Curls are actually curly again, it is getting softer by the day.

Genny,
You have converted me! Thank you so much!
I have had a request for a shampoo bar that will brighten gray and silver hair. It looks like shampoos that do this add a temporary purple dye to counteract yellowing; and that any natural remedies (egg yolk, mayo, lemon juice) do not work. Are there any natural alternatives?

honestly, I don't really know wether or not I have hard water...but I can't really afford a water softner at the moment.
I thought that by now it would be better, but it's like it's getting worse (shampooing with the bar)..and yes...the water comes out pretty white...like it's milk mixed with water :eh:

I made another batch with a different recipe, but I superfatted at 3% this time! worth a try..if it's better I'll post the recipe...

If you have hard water you can use 1tbs of Babassu to your recipe. :)

I need to try this recipe. I tried making poo bars from scratch but don't like all the mess and fuss with the slsa etc. Thanks for the recipe.

I made this 5 days ago. Slightly altered from Genny and Lindy's original - thank you Genny and Lindy!:

avocado oil 36%
olive oil 34%
shea butter 16%
castor oil 14%

I used calendula petal tea (instead of water), small individual silicone molds and the soaps are a lovely yellow. I scented them with lemon, rosemary and lemongrass essential oils.

I made half my regular batch (only 1 lb) and got 8 little shampoo bars.

So as I said it was 5 days ago. I realize 4-6 weeks is the optimum cure, but I am so wanting to wash my hair with it. It should be 100% saponified, so no harm in it, right? I am usually more patient that this....

I have had a request for a shampoo bar that will brighten gray and silver hair. It looks like shampoos that do this add a temporary purple dye to counteract yellowing; and that any natural remedies (egg yolk, mayo, lemon juice) do not work. Are there any natural alternatives?

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea. But alkanet popped into my head as soon as you said purple dye.

I posted pictures of the shampoo bars in the photo section. We also went ahead and tried one. Both myself and DH are very pleased, one use so far and my hair feels softer than usual. It looks fine too! I will update in a few days of use. So far so good, thank you Genny!

I really want to try this recipe but need to order some avocado oil. Thanks for posting the recipe! I have hair down to my butt and have a tough time with regular shampoos and conditioners. Hopefully this recipe will work for me! Thanks so much!

Do any of you using these bars have dry hair? My hair is very dry, so much so that I can actually go 7 days without washing and it doesnt even look greasy. Usually the first two days after washing I have to put alot of leave in conditioner in just to make it look normal. I would be interested in trying these too.

I'm really wondering about the alkanet. I did color my first 3 batches of shampoo bars with alkanet - mostly just to make them different from other round soap I was making then. I have some gray sprinkled thru, mostly at my temples, and I will have to say that my gray was much, much less noticeable when I was using the alkanet shampoo bars. I haven't had a color since about September and for the last several weeks I've noticed how much grayer I look - but I've been using an uncolored shampoo bar for about 3 weeks now! Hmmm..... while I was using the alkanet bars I kept thinking that maybe the shampoo bars were making the gray hair less coarse so therefore less noticeable. But maybe it was the alkanet!

Do any of you using these bars have dry hair? My hair is very dry, so much so that I can actually go 7 days without washing and it doesnt even look greasy. Usually the first two days after washing I have to put alot of leave in conditioner in just to make it look normal. I would be interested in trying these too.

I have thin dry hair. I can go quite a few days without washing before my hair starts to get greasy also.

That was one of the main reasons that I made sure that the soap had 0 for cleansing & was high in conditioning.

I have thin dry hair. I can go quite a few days without washing before my hair starts to get greasy also.

That was one of the main reasons that I made sure that the soap had 0 for cleansing & was high in conditioning.

ok, gonna give them a try, thanks

I'm really wondering about the alkanet. I did color my first 3 batches of shampoo bars with alkanet - mostly just to make them different from other round soap I was making then. I have some gray sprinkled thru, mostly at my temples, and I will have to say that my gray was much, much less noticeable when I was using the alkanet shampoo bars. I haven't had a color since about September and for the last several weeks I've noticed how much grayer I look - but I've been using an uncolored shampoo bar for about 3 weeks now! Hmmm..... while I was using the alkanet bars I kept thinking that maybe the shampoo bars were making the gray hair less coarse so therefore less noticeable. But maybe it was the alkanet!

Very interesting, thanks for the update! I haven't made my batch yet, but am going to go HEAVY on the alkanet hoping for your results :lol:

Latest posts

Back