Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just hope I can find soybean oil...if not, maybe I could add coconut oil..but then again, a lot of them told me it's too stripping for the hair..

You should be able to find soybean oil in any grocery store. It will be with the baking supplies and is called vegetable oil. Just check the ingredient label to make sure it's not mixed with another oil :)

I also wanna do this recipe the HP way, and also was wondering if I could use 10% of coconut oil instead of soybean? Just becouse I think that the bar would be a bit too moisturizing...
here are the bar qualities with coconut instead of soybean...my hair get greasy after about 2-3 days so that's why? what you guys think?

hardness: 27
clenasing:9
conditionig:69
bubbly:18
creamy:27
iodine:74
ins:125

If you are going to make it with coconut oil make sure you make a small batch so you can test it first... I do know of some people whose hair does like CO but sure not very many....

Do you think you can Hot Process this recipe? Also, I have oily, curly and on humid days prizzy hair. Do you recommend any oils to use specifically for my hair type? I rarely have to use regular conditioner with store bought shampoo.

I just hot processed this exact recipe this morning and I'm eager to try it tomorrow. This one HAS to be good for my hair it just has to! I used the exact same oils and measurent...only I superfatted at 5%...if this one does't come out right...I give up.

I washed my hair with Genny's recipe..I have to say that my hair looks cleaner than with the other batches I made. It feels kind of weird -dryish but maybe that's becouse I didn't use any conditioner afterwards nor did I use ACV rinse.. so I'll make sure to do that next time...but for now..I'm pretty happy with it...thank you Genny!

Oh btw - the lather was pretty low, so I was wondering how to enhance that? I know i could add more castor oil, but I'm afraid I'll mess up the recipe and be unhappy again :/

Hmm...the lather on mine's pretty good, as good as regular shampoo obviously, but it's still pretty good. I lather the soap up in my hands a little bit & then massage it into my hair.

I hope this one works for you with all failed batches you've been making.

Thanks Genny, I hope so,too. Like I said, my hair looks pretty good, but feels weird, so next time I'll definently do ACV rinse and see what happens.
I also lathered up in my hands and yeah, the lather was obviosly there, but not as much as I expected, I even added 1 teaspoons os sugar in the water for lye.
But I'm way too freaked out to try and increase the amount of castor oil. :)

people I have another problem...
I washed my hair again yesterday, but I did ACV rinse (5 tbl spoon acv, rest was water) left to sit a minute, rinsed out...and my hair is greasy...I used too much didn't I ?

but here is my real problem...I noticed that when I washed my hair yesterday (and the day before) with the bar, that when I rinse, the water comes out white...like when I dye my hair black, and wash it, the water is black, with the bar it's white....what is that? WHY is that? again, I messed something up..

ACV wouldn't make your hair greasy, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Also not sure what you mean by the water comes out white. The water when I rinse with soap usually comes out a bit white due to bubbles & lather.

Well, shampoo bars has just moved to #1 on my "TO DO" soap list! Thank you for the recipe Genny! I'll report back.

Used my shampoo bar for the first time today. I used Genny's original recipe expect I subbed almond oil for the avocado, because that's what I had and it gave the closest # to the avocado, and so far I like it. I will have to use it a few more times to determine how well my hair does, I really hope I am able to get a recipe that my hair likes, I HATE buying shampoo. I made the conditioner on the BB site and have been using that for a few weeks and used it with my shampoo bar today. My avocado oil had come in by the time I tried that. Thank you for this recipe.

I really need to make a shampoo bar. I'm allergic to many store bought shampoos and seem to be developing an allergy to the one I have not had trouble with. Here is what I've come up with from the oils I have:
coconut 28.8 %
sunflower 19.2 %
castor 5%
olive 47%
superfat at 5%
I know with that much olive it will probably feel slimy, but don't want to increase coconut cause then it will be drying. I guess I could go up on the sunflower or castor, but how much? The iodine is a bit high with this recipe but everything else seems to be within the desired range.

people I have another problem...
I washed my hair again yesterday, but I did ACV rinse (5 tbl spoon acv, rest was water) left to sit a minute, rinsed out...and my hair is greasy...I used too much didn't I ?

but here is my real problem...I noticed that when I washed my hair yesterday (and the day before) with the bar, that when I rinse, the water comes out white...like when I dye my hair black, and wash it, the water is black, with the bar it's white....what is that? WHY is that? again, I messed something up..

You could try rinsing with citrus juice instead of ACV. My hair was greasy too a day after the ACV rinse (and smelly) so I tried 1oz lemon juice in 5oz water, SO much better and I haven't had to rinse again. It also takes a much more thorough rinse just to get the CP shampoo out compared to the commercial stuff.

I really need to make a shampoo bar. I'm allergic to many store bought shampoos and seem to be developing an allergy to the one I have not had trouble with. Here is what I've come up with from the oils I have:
coconut 28.8 %
sunflower 19.2 %
castor 5%
olive 47%
superfat at 5%
I know with that much olive it will probably feel slimy, but don't want to increase coconut cause then it will be drying. I guess I could go up on the sunflower or castor, but how much? The iodine is a bit high with this recipe but everything else seems to be within the desired range.

Olive oil doesn't get slimy until you're at 100%.... at 47% it will add some conditioning. Your Coconut oil is way too high. Drop it down to a max of 15%....

honestly, I don't really know wether or not I have hard water...but I can't really afford a water softner at the moment.
I thought that by now it would be better, but it's like it's getting worse (shampooing with the bar)..and yes...the water comes out pretty white...like it's milk mixed with water :eh:

I made another batch with a different recipe, but I superfatted at 3% this time! worth a try..if it's better I'll post the recipe...

Everyone's hair is different and so you are going to have to play with this to get a recipe that works for you.....

Latest posts

Back