Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply, Genny! And yes, the reason I went with the Crisco was because of the soybean with a little palm oil. I figured it would be pretty similar, quality-wise (and SoapCalc's numbers confirmed that lol.)

I used unrefined shea which I filtered myself, because it was a cheap add-on when I bought the avocado oil on Amazon. I will definitely be going with the refined from now on. But that's why the yellow reminded me of shea. :)

I'll take your suggestion and set it off to the side for another week to see what happens. I loved the look of the recipe, and everyone was raving about it, so I figured it would be a good one to try. I'm determined to get this one right! :p

I made this almost 2 weeks ago (still waiting to try it). I used individual silicon muffin molds and put it in the toaster oven to force it to gel. Anyway.... it is still a little soft, I would be able to make a dint if I tried and would not have to try too hard. I really really want to try this, but wince I've been fighting damaged hair thought I should let it cure out longer.

This recipe is next in my sights. I'm planning on adding that citrus EO, since that's my wife's next suggested scent and some say it will help keep the PH down. I'll also be turning it orange, so I'll get some yellow and red oxides for that, unless I can find a reasonably priced natural option.

I'll special order all the oils so I use the exact same recipe as originally posted. Once it's cured, I'll be turning it into a liquid soap form to be used as a shampoo... I wish I knew of a way to do that without heating the soap, but that's another topic.

Thank you Genny for the recipe! :thumbup: I just hot processed this recipe today and I made slight changes. I didn't have soybean oil on hand so I used rice bran oil and yes I did run it through Soapcalc.:lol: I used 95% beer and 5% goats milk as my lye solution and I also added one teaspoon of powdered oats to my oils, as well as 3% sodium lactate of my oil weight. I'll most likely have an update of first use sometime next week.

could I hot process this recipe?? please reply :) I really want to try this ASAP :)

thank you so much :))) but can please someone clear something out for me? how can it be cleansing when it's cleansing level is zero? I checkes it out on SoapCal please help me understand . thanks

Last edited:
again, thanks so much!
I didn't know some of that stuff, I'll give it a better look just as write this.
So the superfatting at 6% and water 35% doesn't matter either? I mean, it clearly doesn't as everyone is very happy with this recipe, but like I said, I'm new at this and I'm so eager to learn.

how many grams of NaOH and water are included in the recipe?
I tried to see when I ran the measurements through SoapCal but I can't seem to see it..

Last edited:
again, thanks so much!
I didn't know some of that stuff, I'll give it a better look just as write this.
So the superfatting at 6% and water 35% doesn't matter either? I mean, it clearly doesn't as everyone is very happy with this recipe, but like I said, I'm new at this and I'm so eager to learn.

how many grams of NaOH and water are included in the recipe?
I tried to see when I ran the measurements through SoapCal but I can't seem to see it..

Jayjay23, once you put everything into the recipe and press calculate, there is a button below marked #2, which takes you to your recipe and shows the amounts of liquid/lye. Don't worry, I didn't know either!

Ok, I used Genny's original recipe this morning, but put my spin on it because I can't leave something good enough alone! My substitutions: instead of water, I used some of my frozen beer and banana puree slushy. Also added citric acid and clay as mentioned to help reduce the need to vinegar rinse and for curls, and added in clove EO, ground clove and nutmeg at trace (both are supposed to be good for brunettes!)

I made a pound, which is going to be a lot of soap...so if it doesn't work out as a shampoo bar, it smells nice-think with the added citric acid it's okay for a body bar?

I made a similar recipe (40% OO, 30% Avocado, 20% Soybean, 10% Shea, 4-3-2-1, get it? lol) and have been using it for a week now. Kind of torn on it. Way better than my experience with other shampoo and CP bars but still finally had to rinse with ACV today. My build up level was tolerable, just hanging on that edge of looking 2 days dirty but then I got my hair trimmed and the stylist put 2 huge handfuls of product in and I may have been a bit embarassed when she commented on the "waxy" texture of my hair :-(. I've also never successfully lo-pooed or no-pooed before and with my own deviation from the posted recipe and crazy breastfeeding hormones, I'm just going to keep with it and see how it goes. I have wavy thick hair and an average scalp, but so far my hair is super soft and the waves are really coming out. Not sure what's going on with my hair feeling clean and healthy but looking oily, have some trouble shooting to do there!

I just made up a new batch following Genny's original recipe, but subbed mango butter in for the soybean oil. Now if I could just borrow it from the future...:smile:

I was wondering one more thing...since I'm doing this recipe the HP way I was wondering if I melt all the oils together or do I add tge shea butter at trace?

I was wondering one more thing...since I'm doing this recipe the HP way I was wondering if I melt all the oils together or do I add tge shea butter at trace?

I would just add it to the oil. Some people say adding your expensive oil at the end will keep that oil from fully going through soaponification and end up being your superfat....but some say that lye doesn't discriminate.

Considering that a hard oil is easier to saponify than a soft oil. It makes sense to me that adding a soft oil at trace would be less prone to saponification, because much of the lye is already used up. If a 5% Superfat recipe is calculated and measured correctly, then the (soft) oil that that is added last would be at least 5% SF.

Of course, YMMV :p

I would just add it to the oil. Some people say adding your expensive oil at the end will keep that oil from fully going through soaponification and end up being your superfat....but some say that lye doesn't discriminate.

I don't know what YMMV means, I'm from Croatia.. Lol
So you're all saying to put the shea butter together with all the othera oils to sappnifie together :)

Oh ok. I'll put the shea butter in with the oils to melt and saponifie together then.

With HP, you can melt the shea butter and add it after the batch is cooked because the lye will have already reacted with the oils and the batch will be fully saponified. This way the shea butter will be the free oil/superfat in the batch. You just have to make sure you mix it in very well to make sure it's evenly dispersed in the soap.

Latest posts

Back