Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes-its in the original listed recipe.

This could totally be me with a placebo effect, but my hair feels great, soft, and it seems like it's noticeably longer-like my ponytail is fuller. Then again I am due for a cut because my layers seem to be falling heavier ;) Placebo or not, this is a keeper recipe! I should make it plain to see if I like it the same...but why change it if it works??

As I type, my attempt at Lindy/Genny's shampoo bar's are in the mold! A while back there were a few posts about the use of eggs in shampoo, which I've used before in my soaps, so I tossed in a few, also decided to add some buttermilk and honey. I figure even if I don't like them for my hair, its gonna make a nice bar of soap.

I am loving the idea of adding eggs, buttermilk & honey to the shampoo. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you....

<snip>

But a post Lindy made here http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ helped me see the error of my ways.

I'm feeling so good about it, I'm going to share the recipe I created:
Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

</ snip>

If anyone decides to try it, please let me know how you feel about it.

Thanks to both Lindy and Genny! I've been playing with shampoo bars, and of all those I've made I like this one the best. Have used beer instead of water, and added buttermilk to one. Tried several with various percentages of coconut oil, and decided they're too drying even for my coarse, wavy, oily hair.

Now playing with different conditioning oils. Never woulda guessed I'd get obsessed with shampoo bars - but they are such fun!

I made a 1 lb batch of this recipe in the crockpot last night. I followed the recipe but used 1/2 aloe vera gel & 1/2 distilled water for the lye mixture and added honey at trace. I cut & tested it today and I'M LOVE LOVE LOVING IT! My hair is thin and baby fine and usually lays flat to my head unless I load it up with root lifter before I blow dry. NOT THIS TIME THOUGH! Awesome recipe, Genny! Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea. But alkanet popped into my head as soon as you said purple dye.

I just saw Soap Making Resource has Red Sandalwood on sale. I wonder if it would work in a shampoo bar. To quote from the site,
Red Sandalwood powder will produce from a purplish red to a maroon color in your soap. This is one of the natural soap colorants that react substantially to the PH level of your product. A lower PH level will result in more red while a higher PH level results in more purple.
http://www.soap-making-resource.com/natural-soap-colorants.html

They also have the alkanet powder on sale. :wink:

Aw, crap. Stop it! This is so unfair. I already spend $97 at milehighsoap.com

Smoking was cheaper...:Kitten Love:

Smee, I got a chuckle out of your comment. You see, Hubby and I recently had a slight tiff. And we have been at this so long that our disagreements are few and far between. We had just come from WalMart where a ticket total of around $400 had caught him off guard. When we got home he totaled up all my soapmaking oils and it came to about $75. Then he says, "My hobby is shooting, but I'm waiting to get a new clip for my gun...." :problem: That is as far as he got. "Shooting is your second hobby," I told him. "Your first hobby is drinking beer and it cost way more than $75 a month." He has not said a word about what I spend since then!

P.S. I guess I should add that he does not do both hobbies at the same time! As a matter of fact, he hardly ever shoots. He mostly just cleans and talks about his guns. :)

Last edited:
Just made my first batch but it was cp is that ok? I am dying to use this! May 1st cant come soon enough

I made one batch of this shampoo, using the first bar, gave one to daughter and the others are waiting for me. BUT I have already started thinking about the next batch I will make. I have been using bar #1 for a month and it looks like it will last at least 2 more months, minimum. I do this soaping is an addiction. My sister decided to try it, first 2 batches didn't go so well, so she decided to leave this to me and she would stick to her own hobbies. Last week she brought me one of each of the 5 batches she made. When I mentioned that she wasn't going to make anymore she looked very sheepish and said "it bit me". She is now addicted too. So is daughter. Guess this is a family addiction. can we do meetings while mixing up my next batch?

I am SO in love with this basic shampoo bar recipe, thanks to Lindy and Genny.

So I FINALLY made the experimental batch I've been so excited about, using alkanet in hopes of brightening graying hair.

I deviated from the recipe and used about:
30 percent alkanet-infused olive oil
10 percent each of:
Babassu, Avocado butter, Castor, Jojoba, Argan, Shea and Broccoli seed
Scented with Rosemary and Peppermint EOs

Did half lye liquid with distilled water, half with buttermilk. Additives: sodium lactate, tussah silk, sugar

Curing now, can't WAIT to try it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back