Salt bar sucks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyW

Reaction score
5.5 months later (can't believe it's been that long already), I immensely dislike the feel of the salt bars I made.

I used mostly coconut oil (85% if I remember right) and some castor and grapeseed oil. I did 17% superfat, and used 75% of the weight of the oils in kosher salt.

They have a weird lather and make my skin feel slick, not smooth like you'd get at the beach with sand and the ocean (this was the impression I got from other's posts about salt bars). It's rather gross actually. They look wonderful - but either they are a terrible batch, or my skin hates salt bars. Quite disappointed after all the hype :( Am I the only salt-bar-hater?

I don't 'love' them as a body soap, but I REALY love them as a facial bar. Mine were just 100% CO with 50% salt (I think) and 20% super fat.

They def have a different texture, I think I might add some extras next time round.

I think they are quite energising though, like a kind of tingly feeling when you use them.

Well, I remember a discussion in another topic and I asked specifically if 20% superfat doesn't feel greasy. And others didn't have this experience.

At least they look good. You could post a picture :)

My conclusion sofar is to superfat less.

Any particular reason salt bars use mostly coconut ?

Hmmmm... I am addicted to salt bars. I do 100co. 20%sf and a shot of cream or something. I have never had a slick feeling. Maybe it is the grapeseed?

The only salt I like to use is Pink Himalaya salt. I find this works the best for me. I have never used Kosher salt. Maybe it is that?

No mines not greasy in the slightest. By texture I guess I ment bubbles, they almost have a powdery, airy feel. Good for the face, but I was thinking of adding some castor to get a better lather, for the body

Coconut is used as it lathers in salt water.

I love the feel of mine ... and the 'polish' my skin gets. Lather is mild ... but there's nothing wrong with that.

I use 95% coconut oil, 5% castor oil, 70% salt and superfat at 20%.

No slimy, greasy feeling ... and my feedback is, that they feel just right!

busymakinsoap! said:
No mines not greasy in the slightest. By texture I guess I ment bubbles, they almost have a powdery, airy feel. Good for the face, but I was thinking of adding some castor to get a better lather, for the body

Coconut is used as it lathers in salt water.

As I understand it, coconut oil is the only oil that, when made into soap, will lather in salt water. So the caster oil shouldn't increase the lather at all. But I've never actually tried it.

I've used my salt bars on the body, and they lather terrifically. I made my first (and only) two batches with 90% CO and 10% Shea, 20% superfat. I think next time I'll just use CO, though I initially used the shea since I thought it might help make the soap nice via the superfatting. My first batch ws 50% salt, and the second 75% salt. I think I prefer the 50% salt, though the 75% salt has a really creamy lather.

Hi Amy!

None of my batches have left my skin feeling slick. I don't know why yours feels this way to you. I've never used grapeseed oil but I wouldn't think it would be the problem.

Maybe Jezzy is correct about it being the kosher salt. I've only used sea salt or regular salt.

Same here, no greasy feel. I use seasalt.
I would describe mine same as PP as a light powdery feel.
I do coconut, castor & shea. 80% salt to oil. Since adding the shea to my recipe I find it creamier.

It could just be salt bars are just not your thing but perhaps try a small batch with a different salt, like the seasalt.

:cry: Its a sad day when someone doesn't fall in love with salt bars.

Hi Amy, it's been a while since I've seen a post from you. Glad you're still around.

Before you give up on salt bars, perhaps you should swap one of yours for one from some other people, so you can compare. Maybe something went wrong with your batch. If you dislike them all, then you know you don't like salt bars, but if you like the others, you know it's just the recipe or bad luck. I'd be happy to swap one with you. I currently have a bunch in the fridge (it's very humid here) that are well-cured (6 months). If you're interested, PM me.

I am making very little soap these days and probably won't be making much until fall so I forget to visit soapy forums :oops: All my time these days is spent on immigration forums (the joys of marrying someone in another country lol) besides work and the kids.

I will take you up on that newbie, thanks! I will PM you, hopefully by this weekend.

Everyone - thank you! I figured I was an oddball. I kind of hope it's just me and not a bad batch lol!

eta, I almost forgot, and I'll try NOT to forget, to post a picture... if I remember to take one...oh where has my brain gone! They look really nice, pure white with the salt making it look a little crystally... but so icky on my skin!

I currently have a bunch in the fridge (it's very humid here) that are well-cured (6 months).

I am truing to understand something here... Did you cure them inside a fridge, since it's humid outside ?

To save space in your fridge, you could keep them inside an airtight box, together with one of those little dehumidifier bags, not sure how they're called.

I should have been more clear! I'd need a few fridges at the rate I'm going here. No, I cure my soaps in the basement because it stays cool, but the humidity can climb and it can be hard to control even with a dehumidifier because the space is open. I found the salt bars all sweating like mad and was worried I wouldn't be able to control the humidity well enough because it has been humid here for an extended period, so I stuck them in the fridge. Excellent humidity control there!

I made a salt bar batch and absoulutely love it. I am almost out and need to make another. I used sea salt and used the same weight of salt as I did oils. Used majority CO and the rest I Used was Sunflower.

I must admit it took me a while to 'love' salt bars, but I have to say that using one of mine after a good long cure did it for me, and I absolutely love them.
100% CO, 60%salt and 25%SF. The lather is thick and dense, not light and fluffy as you'd generally get from a normal CP bar.
I love the afterfeel of it......skin feels refreshed.

I don't love salt bars. Every so often I have a yen to try them again - and then still don't love 'em!

Simplyangelic said:
I must admit it took me a while to 'love' salt bars, but I have to say that using one of mine after a good long cure did it for me, and I absolutely love them.
100% CO, 60%salt and 25%SF. The lather is thick and dense, not light and fluffy as you'd generally get from a normal CP bar.

I never considered a higher SF than 20%. You don't have any problems with that high of a SF?

I have made a few salt bars but i think my favorite one it made with a combination of epsom salt, sea salt and kosher salt. I think the loger it cures the better it is

Hazel said:
Simplyangelic said:

I never considered a higher SF than 20%. You don't have any problems with that high of a SF?

Hi Hazel

No, not had any problems going that high on the SF. Wouldn't go anywhere near that high for a normal CP/HP bar, but for a salt bar I've found it works really well. :D

I have made a few salt bars but i think my favorite one it made with a combination of epsom salt, sea salt and kosher salt.

What does epsom salt bring to the bar ?

Latest posts

Back