Lessons in Patience, Soap Variation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being in my early 60s, you'd think by now I'd have learned all the lessons in patience a person would need to learn, but you'd be incorrect. Today's lesson: my first clay-and-pumice soap experiment.

At the end of May I decided to try making a simple recipe that I found in the book Pure Soapmaking by Anne-Marie Faiola, but of course I couldn't leave it simple. I decided to try adding clay and pumice I'd recently purchased. The original recipe really is a straightforward one, with olive oil at 50%, palm at 24%, and coconut oil at 25%. The total oil was 850 grams, and I added ~18 grams of salt and 21 grams each of the clay and pumice.

Everything went well enough during the mixing, and I poured it into individual molds, including some fun 'sugar skull' candy molds I found at the thrift store. This is where my impatience kicked in. Although I told myself these would have to cure for at least 6 weeks, based on my reading, I couldn't help squeezing and poking at the bars daily. They wouldn't seem to harden! I thought I'd be shredding these and using them in a rebatch, and I was very disappointed, giving myself little internal lectures on the folly of winging it with additives. Finally I just ignored the soap. Last night, right at the 6-week mark, I noticed them on the drying rack, grabbed one, and discovered that I can barely dent the bar with my fingertip. Tapping it gives a great hardwood sound, and slicing off the rough surface reveals a sleek bar. My first test hand-washing shows a smooth, low lather. My hands felt a bit sticky at first, but as soon as they finished air drying the stickiness has entirely left and my skin feels smooth and not dried out. Very nice results for a bar I thought I'd be recycling three weeks ago!

As @The_Phoenix told me in another thread, you really can't tell much about a soap before the three-month point, so I'm looking forward to revisiting this batch after August 20.

Maybe someday I'll learn patience, but more likely I'll be dead before that happens...

Attachments

• Three Oils w Clay and Pumice Recipe.pdf
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • Pumice_01.jpg
    Pumice_01.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Pumice_02.jpg
    Pumice_02.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Pumice_03.jpg
    Pumice_03.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to note your wise words. And I noticed you added about 4.8% salt+pumice to oils. I want to make a pumice bar which is hard, heavy, long lasting, but not with noticeable scratchiness. Would you say your salt-pumice bar has those qualities?

Soap made with a high percentage of olive oil takes longer to get hard, but in the end makes a very hard bar.

Latest posts

Back