Really handy conversion program (and it's free)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TessC

Reaction score
I've seen a few people talking about how it's a bit of a hassle to convert ounces to grams and vice versa, which made me think of Convert. I use it a lot, and not just for soaping. One of the cool features is that you can turn off the tabs you don't need (I shut off the ones like light and pressure since I'm not likely to ever use them) and tailor it to your own needs.

Anyway, Convert is free and really handy. I've used it for the last few years, since my dad first sent me the link to it.

Thanks, Tess. In the US we tend to think of everything in ounces or pounds. When I measure for soaping or or other I like using grams. But not gram savvy. This will help alot.

Thanks for the link. I know I should start weighing everything out by grams, but , have been so far sticking to what I know.

When you soap with grams do you weigh for ex. 6.5g or 6.56g? Is it easy to pour that extra .06 out? Or might you round it to 6.6?

Jude

artisan soaps said:
heyjude said:
Thanks for the link. I know I should start weighing everything out by grams, but , have been so far sticking to what I know.

When you soap with grams do you weigh for ex. 6.5g or 6.56g? Is it easy to pour that extra .06 out? Or might you round it to 6.6?

Jude

If it's Lye I round down to 6, if it's liquid I might round up to 7, and if it's lotion I'd use 6.5 (am looking for an affordable/accurate .00gm scale but only for lotions)

Thanks for sharing that Tess - now I don't have to go online! :D

That's what I do-round to the nearest gram.Up for liquid,down for lye.
I have a .1g scale,but only use it to measure lotion ingredients etc.For soap,weighing to a whole gram is perfectly fine

I was a kid when we changed to metric here,so get really confused with imperial measurements.Metric is so easy once you get the hang of it.Everything is multiples of 10. Imperial seems to be all over the shop(imo anyway). And for an idea on how small you can measure,there're 28 odd grams in an oz.
Thanks heaps for that link Tess!

Maybe it's just me cos I grew up with metric - but I think it's a lot easier, but on the odd occasion where I find a great recipe in lbs and oz - I have to painfully work out the conversion - so this is great - thanks for the post!

Glad it'll be handy. :D

I really suck at most conversions, so it's been wildly helpful to me. My dad uses it because he's a sheet metal mechanic by trade, has to do a lot of drafting and such (and his shop still requires them to know how to do it on paper, in spite of them having Autocad) so he uses it daily.

Back