Rancid soap after a week if cure

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Wendjie

Reaction score
Got an idea last night (i know we are suppose to sleep but no! I prefer to think about my spots šŸ¤¦)
My husband made me a homemade cutter for my soaps, could it be him the problem? My cutter not my husband haha. Because is made of rough wood i cant really wash it just wipe and the spots are on the side and the bottom of the soap. So maybe its contaminant that makes that early spots? Is that makes sens? Here is a picture. Of course i am gonna wrap it with something before use it again. Thanks again for your advice.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you were pouring the soap directly into the wood mold, with no liner, that could definitely cause rancidity, either from chemicals present in the wood, or the build-up of soap batter that has soaked into the wood.

You also want to line the molds so that the unsaponified lye doesn't end up cracking and splintering your molds over time.

Wendjie

Reaction score
If you were pouring the soap directly into the wood mold, with no liner, that could definitely cause rancidity, either from chemicals present in the wood, or the build-up of soap batter that has soaked into the wood.

You also want to line the molds so that the unsaponified lye doesn't end up cracking and splintering your molds over time.
I use silicone molds. This is my homemade cutter!

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry, you did say cutter, not mold. Sorry I missed that, and yes, I do think you could still get rancidity from that, but probably not as likely.

Question: is your cutting device made of stainless steel? If not, other metals will cause DOS. This is also the case with storage shelves, many of which are coated with stainless or rubber, but develop cracks over time that expose the soap to other metals. Direct sunlight is another potential problem.

Latest posts