Rancid soap after a week if cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an idea last night (i know we are suppose to sleep but no! I prefer to think about my spots 🤦)
My husband made me a homemade cutter for my soaps, could it be him the problem? My cutter not my husband haha. Because is made of rough wood i cant really wash it just wipe and the spots are on the side and the bottom of the soap. So maybe its contaminant that makes that early spots? Is that makes sens? Here is a picture. Of course i am gonna wrap it with something before use it again. Thanks again for your advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20211122_124112513.jpg
    PXL_20211122_124112513.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 13
If you were pouring the soap directly into the wood mold, with no liner, that could definitely cause rancidity, either from chemicals present in the wood, or the build-up of soap batter that has soaked into the wood.

You also want to line the molds so that the unsaponified lye doesn't end up cracking and splintering your molds over time.

If you were pouring the soap directly into the wood mold, with no liner, that could definitely cause rancidity, either from chemicals present in the wood, or the build-up of soap batter that has soaked into the wood.

You also want to line the molds so that the unsaponified lye doesn't end up cracking and splintering your molds over time.
I use silicone molds. This is my homemade cutter!

I'm sorry, you did say cutter, not mold. Sorry I missed that, and yes, I do think you could still get rancidity from that, but probably not as likely.

Question: is your cutting device made of stainless steel? If not, other metals will cause DOS. This is also the case with storage shelves, many of which are coated with stainless or rubber, but develop cracks over time that expose the soap to other metals. Direct sunlight is another potential problem.

I dont know how to tell in english so i will post a picture o what i use to cut m'y soap. I suppose it is made for it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-112651.png
    Screenshot_20211123-112651.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back