Cutting bars based on minimum net weight after the cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are probably other posts on this approach on the forum, but I couldn’t find them, so I thought I would share this.

Some time ago I decided that I generally want to cut bars from loaf molds to a wet weight that will result in a 4.5+ oz net weight after the ultimate cure. The one weight approach means that I don’t have to weigh bars when I’m labelling, which saves time. I used Marie Gale’s method to calculate the minimum net weight based on my recipes. The challenge is that my loaf molds vary in capacity and dimensions, plus, I don’t always get all of the soap into the mold. I have been guesstimating where the cut should be, for example 1.1” or 1.25”, weighing a bar to see if it’s right, adjusting as necessary, etc. I had a lightbulb duh moment this morning just before I cut a loaf of soap, made with an embed, that was not as tall as intended due to an accelerating fragrance issue that kept me from getting all of the batter into the mold. I weighed the loaf, divided by the desired wet weight of each bar (plus 2% for top variations and trimming) and divided the loaf weight by that number to get the number of bars to cut.

There are probably other posts on this approach on the forum, but I couldn’t find them, so I thought I would share this.

Some time ago I decided that I generally want to cut bars from loaf molds to a wet weight that will result in a 4.5+ oz net weight after the ultimate cure. The one weight approach means that I don’t have to weigh bars when I’m labelling, which saves time. I used Marie Gale’s method to calculate the minimum net weight based on my recipes. The challenge is that my loaf molds vary in capacity and dimensions, plus, I don’t always get all of the soap into the mold. I have been guesstimating where the cut should be, for example 1.1” or 1.25”, weighing a bar to see if it’s right, adjusting as necessary, etc. I had a lightbulb duh moment this morning just before I cut a loaf of soap, made with an embed, that was not as tall as intended due to an accelerating fragrance issue that kept me from getting all of the batter into the mold. I weighed the loaf, divided by the desired wet weight of each bar (plus 2% for top variations and trimming) and divided the loaf weight by that number to get the number of bars to cut.
Yes! - Great solution!

Latest posts

Back