Ciaglia from potentially rancid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soooo - I have a very disappointing batch of soap that I want to make into a ciaglia soap so that it's not wasted. It's been fine up until about 2-3 weeks ago when I noticed it had lost its fragrance. The batch was made on 23rd Oct - so not super old by any stretch. I don't think it's rancid per se - it doesn't smell bad. And soaps I've made before and after it are all fine with the same recipe, so I just think maybe the FO died? I don't think I've eve had soap go real bad/rancid. I have seen DOS and that smelled a bit off, but this is just a waxy/oil smell ( I guess like unscented soap, which I've never made so i don't know).
I'm worried that if I use it for ciaglia and it does eventually go rancid that it will turn the whole new batch rancid. But then I don't want to waste it either. What to do? Any advice from my esteemed soaping colleagues?

In the name of experimentation and learning ... you could make a little unscented batch (then you'll know what they smell like 😅)

It is a risk to use potentially dos (or beginnings of) soap to make another soap, but if it's just FO fading, then sure, ciaglia would be a great solution. Waxy/oily smell would normally suggest to me the beginnings of DOS, but some oils do have a slightly funky smell in old soap anyway.

Sorry not to be of more help, but I'd still go for it and make a quick use (not too fancy!) ciaglia 😘

I can only blame the FO, because everything else was the same. Such a shame - it was a lovely fragrance too. However it was the last of a discounted line, so maybe I wasn't the first to get DOS??
I am glad you figured out the problem. May I ask which essential oil you used? I have a lot of them, and some that I have not used yet, and I want to know if possible which ones are 'bad eggs'. I'm sorry for your lost batch. I am still coping with the loss of my first batch. x_x

May I ask which essential oil you used? I have a lot of them, and some that I have not used yet, and I want to know if possible which ones are 'bad eggs'.
I frequently use EOs that I buy from an EO supplier and have not had any issues with them causing DOS/rancidity, but at least one forum member has had an issue with lavender, as posted here.

I frequently use EOs that I buy from an EO supplier and have not had any issues with them causing DOS/rancidity, but at least one forum member has had an issue with lavender, as posted here.
Awesome, thank you, so useful. So far the essential oils I have haven't given me trouble.. and hopefully not anytime soon. The brands I have right now are Esslux: Therapeutic Grade, and the Esslux: Pure Essential Oil, but I'm waiting on a friend to help me get started with using a distiller for custom scents. So far, nothing yet. Nervous, but excited.

Latest posts

Back